Football 2021/2022

jyoung

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

That game provided one of my favourite memories (Bale goal) and least favourite (Has Sturridge scored since?)

Last international goal was in a World Cup qualifier against Scotland a few months later, while he didn't score at all this season in the Australian A-League for Perth Glory. It's just been a bit of a steep decline really, which is kinda sad given how good he was paired up with Suarez and Sterling.

13 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Last international goal was in a World Cup qualifier against Scotland a few months later, while he didn't score at all this season in the Australian A-League for Perth Glory. It's just been a bit of a steep decline really, which is kinda sad given how good he was paired up with Suarez and Sterling.

I mean looking back the goal didn't matter as wales won the group anyway, leaving England with an easy match against Iceland! I would have liked for once not to lose to England though!

23 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I mean looking back the goal didn't matter as wales won the group anyway, leaving England with an easy match against Iceland! I would have liked for once not to lose to England though!

That England v Iceland match in 2016 was one of the strangest experiences I've had watching a game with people. I arrived at a pub with mates just after England scored early on so thought it was done but instead it was something to see how England blew the advantage, did nothing to fix it, and put fans through the realisation that this debacle of a game was actually happening.

14 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I think there are jobs like Bayern, Juventus and Newcastle that could become available mid season.

Still not sure what warrents him getting those jobs. Bayern and Juve anyway.

Did well at Spurs with a superman striker in a weird time when every other contender was in transition mode - Leicester won the league - and he won the league with PSG this season. Something Neil Warnock couldve done with that squad. 

4 hours ago, The Nal said:

Did well at Spurs with a superman striker in a weird time when every other contender was in transition mode - Leicester won the league - and he won the league with PSG this season. Something Neil Warnock couldve done with that squad. 

I mean, they failed to win the league last season. Though clearly throwing in Donarrumma, Ramos, Hakimi, Wijnaldum and an Argentine guy who did alright for Barcelona would help PSG bounce back from Lille doing something unexpected. But Poch has clearly been unwanted since the Champions League debacle.

4 hours ago, The Nal said:

If you don't give people like him those jobs, you end up with Ancelotti, Zidane, Conte and Tuchel on a constant rotation. 

I can't really understand the booing of Southgate. Some bad results and performances no doubt but in a competition that means little to nothing. Last 2 major tournaments he's gotten the team to the Semi's and Final. I know all us football fans are fickle but that's something else.

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

dull, dull, dull, bring back the bad england footie of the past.

Yeah to be fair it has been fairly dull. Although when you were playing entertaining football you weren't getting very far.

Granted it is possible to be successful and play nice football under the right manager.

I just feel like he has earned the right to try and be successful in 1 more major tournament.

49 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I can't really understand the booing of Southgate. Some bad results and performances no doubt but in a competition that means little to nothing. Last 2 major tournaments he's gotten the team to the Semi's and Final. I know all us football fans are fickle but that's something else.

Well it was England's worst home defeat for 94 years. But yes the competition probably isn't that important for England who are also tired after a long season but crucially its been built into something of a moral issue issue in Hungary over the take the knee stuff and so their players were probably playing out of their skin. Still doesn't excuse Southgates negative tactics though.

3 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Is Southgate a good manager, or just someone who has benefited from lucky draws in the last 2 tournaments. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

6 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

He’s upset the Brexity lot by being compassionate (or ‘woke’) and they just needed something to beat him with.

Think they should go for Potter before the World Cup.

works for the non-woke angle as well as he’s named after a character who’s writer doesn’t think women can have a penis.

Edited by lost

41 minutes ago, charlierc said:

When's the crossover for making a 2022/23 thread then? Is it now the fixtures are out or later down the line?

now, if you'd like to start it.