Football 2021/2022

jyoung

2 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

The technology for scanning tickets/ qr codes should be pretty straightforward in this day and age but I’ve seen lots of problems with legit tickets not being recognised. 
When it happens you then get huge queues quickly building up as the aggrieved punter obviously wants to make their case. Had a few mates at the last Scotland game that didn’t get in till halftime. In their case the machine showed they were already in the stadium.

I had wondered if it was venue-specific, given I don't recall similar issues with Liverpool's last 2 Champions League finals or their 2 domestic finals earlier this season, or if there were, not to anything like the same scale. Robertson saying a friend/family ticket he got through the club himself was not legit is quite something for how this tech fails, or indeed, this example about issues at Hampden Park.

8 hours ago, lost said:

Seem to be suggestions from UEFA fans with fake tickets were causing the turnstiles to error meaning the legitimate ticket holders couldn't get it. If that's the case I'm not sure what the organisers can do? 

But yes probably a combination of fans with and without tickets then getting frustrated at the queues and crowds building. As we saw from the yellow vest & lockdown protests the French police don't piss about when a disturbance starts.

It seems to me like a self-feeding crisis, where 1 problem lead to another and another and another. I don't think fake tickets or attempted turnstile jumpers was that widespread, but clearly enough to compromise an already quite marginal stadium control plan. Similar to the Euros final last year, if for very different reasons.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Looking forward to Scotland v Ukraine?  I think you may struggle to get much of the neutral support!

Yeah very much so. There’s a plan to have everyone sing their national anthem together. Flower of Scotland is normally a car crash 😂🤦‍♂️
Around 20 of us going on Wednesday. From that group we’ve got one ticket for the potential game on Sunday.

Who would you rather play mate ?

6 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Yeah very much so. There’s a plan to have everyone sing their national anthem together. Flower of Scotland is normally a car crash 😂🤦‍♂️
Around 20 of us going on Wednesday. From that group we’ve got one ticket for the potential game on Sunday.

Who would you rather play mate ?

Oh definitely Scotland. Means one of us will get through. I know Ukraine getting there is what the world wants, but I'm going to havr to be a party pooper here.

3 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Oh definitely Scotland. Means one of us will get through. I know Ukraine getting there is what the world wants, but I'm going to havr to be a party pooper here.

I think Scotland will win Wednesday and Wales will win on Sunday. Home advantage felt massive at the time of the draw.

1 hour ago, Comfy Bean said:

I think Scotland will win Wednesday and Wales will win on Sunday. Home advantage felt massive at the time of the draw.

The change of dates has really benefited us as I think Bale and Ramsey would have struggled with the 2 games together. Saying that having seen Wrexham blow the FA trophy final and play offs within a week. I feel I am destined to always be disappointed.

I was meant to have tickets to the Wales v Scotland/Ukraine game but my contact has told me last minute that the FAW have oversold it and are trying to take tickets back from sponsors - one of which was my source of tickets. Find out later today either way but will be gutted if I don't end up going! Atmosphere for the semi-final was unreal, can only imagine the final will be even more incredible.

After the week I've had with football I feel like I'm owed a good result! 🙂 

Championship play-off final means we'll have Nottingham Forest in the Premier League next season for the first time since 1999... almost feels like a throwback, like something out of the early Premier League Years episodes.

Though naturally the complicated part starts now, given there's the question of trying to rebuild to be PL-ready. Doubly so given they had a few loans and out-of-contract players at their disposal.

9 hours ago, charlierc said:

Championship play-off final means we'll have Nottingham Forest in the Premier League next season for the first time since 1999... almost feels like a throwback, like something out of the early Premier League Years episodes.

Though naturally the complicated part starts now, given there's the question of trying to rebuild to be PL-ready. Doubly so given they had a few loans and out-of-contract players at their disposal.

It’s crazy how fortunes have changed for those early years teams. Oldham are non-league now!

31 minutes ago, eastynh said:

How did Klopp win Premier League manager of the year? 

He did not once win a manager of the month award, his team finished 2nd and failed to beat any of the other top 4. Not quite sure how that works.

Bizarre one alright. 

Although City beat Chelsea twice, lost to Spurs twice and drew with Liverpool twice so not sure its based on top 4.  

7 hours ago, eastynh said:

How did Klopp win Premier League manager of the year? 

He did not once win a manager of the month award, his team finished 2nd and failed to beat any of the other top 4. Not quite sure how that works.

It's very weird. I know I've got bias in saying Howe, but I absolutely think he's the top achiever based on squad results per manager. I'd completely understand Frank, Moyes or Conte getting it. Pep also seems less ridiculous.

Finishing 2nd with the 2nd best squad seems like a very bizarre way to win manager of the season.

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

It's very weird. I know I've got bias in saying Howe, but I absolutely think he's the top achiever based on squad results per manager. I'd completely understand Frank, Moyes or Conte getting it. Pep also seems less ridiculous.

Finishing 2nd with the 2nd best squad seems like a very bizarre way to win manager of the season.

I would have given it Vieira.

So Mane is off to Bayern and it looks like Salah is saying if we don't give him what he wants then he will leave for free next year to another Prem team. Big changes coming up at Liverpool. Diaz has been a great signing, lets hope we can sign similar quality as Salah's replacement.