Football 2021/2022

jyoung

21 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Firstly, the daily mail whipping up racism and talking bullshit isn't anything new.

Secondly, as charlierc said, white is a stupid away colour choice for a team that plays in B+W by default.

Mostly, I think it's a non-story. I suspect Saudi football supporters would be following the club anyway, or at least the ones who don't have a prob with their gov, and I don't think a change kit colour choice is going to affect that. Similarly, anyone who boycotts it because of this link, would probably have boycotted the club anyway.

Vague, fairly meaningless associations and links are going to do nothing. Most people have decided to either continue supporting the club, to boycott the club despite not having been a fan before, or to barely care apart from a bit of whining about another club.

I don't delude myself into thinking that many other lifelong Newcastle fans are going to not fund the club because of the Saudi ownership like I am. I also don't think that things like this matter to the vast majority of football fans. Away kits get mocked for billions of reasons, but I think most fans really don't care about what another club's away kit is or what reason they have it.

It's a nothing story, and its existence and links have more to do with Daily Fail racism than anything football fans pay attention to.

I did suspect that it would really just confirm peoples points of view tbf, where those on board would co-sign on this being a great idea and those not on board would be aggrieved. Indeed articles on this are present in papers beyond the Mail, with the Telegraph and I having similar articles about sportswashing or the club being a Saudi billboard.

It's one of those things that might well be a brief storm then people forget about it.

On that topic of picking away kits using home colours, we have a black change kit this season and when that launched I did wonder why that was being chosen. It's got a decent amount of use (got worn at Villa, West Ham, Leeds and Spurs) but I really don't see what the point of doing one like that is. Same with Leicester having a blue change kit.

29 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

God that was painful. Same shit twice in one season 

it is comforting that pool haven’t managed to beat us over 420 minutes of football this season, but would’ve probably rather just lost 1-0 yesterday 

I remember some terrible champions league matches in the past as well.

55 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

God that was painful. Same shit twice in one season 

it is comforting that pool haven’t managed to beat us over 420 minutes of football this season, but would’ve probably rather just lost 1-0 yesterday 

Guessing the brief raising of hopes after Mane's was saved only for Mount to be denied really added to the kick-in-balls territory.

13 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Why were Chelsea wearing yellow today?

Anyone else disappointed both managers didn’t suit up for the event?

I can't remember if it was a superstitious thing due to Chelsea losing the last 2 FA Cup finals and to Liverpool in the Carabao one in blue or just economic reasons. Seen both suggested.

Turns out Tuchel told ITV before the game that "We will win in yellow"... yeah.

Did either Tuchel or Klopp suit up for the Champions League finals they've recently been to?

Edited by charlierc

7 minutes ago, thetime said:

As it stands Everton to stay up today? 

If Leeds lose they'd need a point from Brentford or Palace.

I'm calling it now. Prem playoff and Liverpool 4 trophies all from penalty shootouts.

11 minutes ago, thetime said:

That's a massive goal for Leeds, might be enough to keep them up.

It was on the pub I was in. Sanchez pulled off two class saves and Leeds were definitely the better side against in form Brighton. You can see them beating Brentford who looked like they were going to get beat comprehensively by Everton before the red card. I think Everton have 1 centre back and no strikers now for the run in as Calvert Lewin was injured again and then Rondon (his replacement) sent off.

Edited by lost

4 minutes ago, lost said:

It was on the pub I was in. Sanchez pulled off two class saves and Leeds were definitely the better side against in form Brighton. You can see them beating Brentford who looked like they were going to get beat comprehensively by Everton before the red card. I think Everton have 1 centre back and no strikers now for the run in as Calvert Lewin was injured again and then Rondon (his replacement) sent off.

You might need the win against palace

4 minutes ago, thetime said:

You might need the win against palace

Was already quite looking forward to getting rid of the owners and also VAR next season. Think that's it for Everton 36 points. Should of already been down to be honest but had a little run whilst Mina was fit for his usual 2 or 3 games.

Edited by lost

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I hope Burnley go down. They have added little to the league in the last few years in my view.

25 minutes ago, thetime said:

Hope leeds myself.

I think it's still quite an open contest. Admittedly not as open as I thought - initially I thought there was still a chance Southampton might still go down but Leeds cannot catch them anymore.

Leeds are done for if both Everton and Burnley win in midweek, though there's a semi-decent possibility at least one of them or indeed both will slip up.

25 minutes ago, thetime said:

That's been said a few times in the last 10 years.

Yep but I reckon this is the worst squad theres been. And more difficut now with the gap to City/LFC and no Champions League. First time in living memory Utd aren't anywhere near the conversation regarding signings like Haaland.  

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Yep but I reckon this is the worst squad theres been. And more difficut now with the gap to City/LFC and no Champions League. First time in living memory Utd aren't anywhere near the conversation regarding signings like Haaland.  

Might work out to there advantage. How many big signings have worked out? Get players in that actually work and want to be there.