Football 2021/2022

jyoung

7 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Are they doing another season of Sunderland Til I Die? I really enjoyed the first few.

I thought they'd stopped after season 2.

Kind of a shame in some respects as I think season 3 was the season covid interrupted, and for League One teams, ultimately stopped 2 months early, so it would've been fascinating to see the response at that level. Spurs' Amazon Prime show was interesting when it covered this but felt like it scratched the surface of the chaos caused at that time.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I thought they'd stopped after season 2.

Kind of a shame in some respects as I think season 3 was the season covid interrupted, and for League One teams, ultimately stopped 2 months early, so it would've been fascinating to see the response at that level. Spurs' Amazon Prime show was interesting when it covered this but felt like it scratched the surface of the chaos caused at that time.

Wrexham documentary out in the summer on Disney plus!

13 hours ago, charlierc said:

Oooo I've wanted to see that. Seems like a reasonable excuse to use a free trial to give that a watch.

In my head lower league players are more interesting and less media savvy, so hopefully will be interesting. I do worry we may hear the word soccer a few times so could be quite Americanised.

Our season with 2-4 games ( hopefully 2 and definitely not 3) still could go either way so hopefully some decent drama.

20 minutes ago, The Nal said:

What is it about a lot of these Brazilians where they have a few great years and then turn to shit. Coutinho, Robinho, Pato, Adriano, Ronaldinho and even Rivaldo.

Perhaps they come from from poverty, then money turns there heads.

23 minutes ago, The Nal said:

What is it about a lot of these Brazilians where they have a few great years and then turn to shit. Coutinho, Robinho, Pato, Adriano, Ronaldinho and even Rivaldo.

i think theres plenty of good still to come from little phil.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

i think theres plenty of good still to come from little phil.

Maybe but he was the most expensive footballer ever 3 1/2 years ago. Now hes playing for a club in the bottom half who were only a defeat or two away from a relegation battle. 

Just now, TheGayTent said:

Overrated to begin with. Injured. Then crap. Terrible signing 

he wasn't the most expensive player cos hes terrible but because he destroyed teams who couldn't stop him, 

villa might make a packet on him, worth a punt at £12m, just for that chance.

7 hours ago, lost said:

How do our Newcastle fans feel about this?

This went down about as well as I thought it would. I am aware the large number of people unimpressed with our relationship with the fund that owns 80% of the club now aren't going to be impressed by this and it does seem like a bit of an attention seeking call. Assuming this leak is genuine ofc - be funny if it turns out to be something totally different.

I'm not really a fan but not for sportswashing reasons. As Newcastle wear black and white stripes, I just find it bizarre when they pick black or white as a predominant change kit colour. Oddly this version reminded me of a change kit Newcastle wore in the 90s - in the 99/00 season they had a white with green trim change kit, wore it once for a heavy loss at Coventry, and duly ditched it. Oddly the other leaked change kit, which is blue with gold, also looks like something worn in the late 90s.

Also, I thought Saudi Arabia wore green as their home kit and white as their change kit... turns out I was wide of the mark there.

11 hours ago, lost said:

How do our Newcastle fans feel about this?

Firstly, the daily mail whipping up racism and talking bullshit isn't anything new.

Secondly, as charlierc said, white is a stupid away colour choice for a team that plays in B+W by default.

Mostly, I think it's a non-story. I suspect Saudi football supporters would be following the club anyway, or at least the ones who don't have a prob with their gov, and I don't think a change kit colour choice is going to affect that. Similarly, anyone who boycotts it because of this link, would probably have boycotted the club anyway.

Vague, fairly meaningless associations and links are going to do nothing. Most people have decided to either continue supporting the club, to boycott the club despite not having been a fan before, or to barely care apart from a bit of whining about another club.

I don't delude myself into thinking that many other lifelong Newcastle fans are going to not fund the club because of the Saudi ownership like I am. I also don't think that things like this matter to the vast majority of football fans. Away kits get mocked for billions of reasons, but I think most fans really don't care about what another club's away kit is or what reason they have it.

It's a nothing story, and its existence and links have more to do with Daily Fail racism than anything football fans pay attention to.