Football 2021/2022

jyoung

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I was keeping tabs with it only on BBC Sport text-blog but it was pretty extraordinary how rapidly it went against Man City from seemingly being in control.

Not that I'm expecting Newcastle to inflict similar misery on them this weekend.

How do you think Newcastle will go in the summer mate? Spend big on big players, or build slowly?

4 hours ago, thetime said:

How do you think Newcastle will go in the summer mate? Spend big on big players, or build slowly?

Personally, and I could well be wrong, is that I think there'll be one fairly big signing and a bunch of squad improvements. A high-profile forward, a respectable LB, and a respectable CB signing seems likely.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Personally, and I could well be wrong, is that I think there'll be one fairly big signing and a bunch of squad improvements. A high-profile forward, a respectable LB, and a respectable CB signing seems likely.

Maybe a keeper as well? Henderson?

3 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Maybe a keeper as well? Henderson?

I rate Dubravka, question is what the target is next season. I'd have thought the aim should be top half, but if it's trying to get a Europa League spot, then maybe.

On 5/5/2022 at 7:48 PM, thetime said:

Good question. I'm not gonna lose sleep over daydreams that we're gonna sign Haaland or Mbappe, much as some others are stereotyped as such. I think we have the basis of a decent squad and that just upping the quality level is a starting point. A reliable striker who doesn't get injured a lot, maybe an extra winger as an upgrade on Fraser and Murphy and new CB/LB could work. So basically...

On 5/5/2022 at 11:53 PM, kaosmark2 said:

What was said here. Tbf I think this approach could work and I would assume work has already begun on identifying targets now that we know we're basically safe.

22 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Please? 😢

Our record against Manchester City in general is terrible. Last away league win at their place was in 2000 when Alan Shearer was playing, meaning we were putting in poor performances at the Etihad even before it became the Etihad.

But hey. I'd like to win and be the centre of attention. Or at least not to collapse like we did at Spurs.

9 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Our record against Manchester City in general is terrible. Last away league win at their place was in 2000 when Alan Shearer was playing, meaning we were putting in poor performances at the Etihad even before it became the Etihad.

But hey. I'd like to win and be the centre of attention. Or at least not to collapse like we did at Spurs.

Hard task when the self-appointed protagonists of football are having the season of their lives 

Just now, rock the clock said:

Hard task when the self-appointed protagonists of football are having the season of their lives 

We did feel a bit like background NPCs from a video game in losing to Liverpool last weekend, hence why I wouldn't mind offering a bit more this time. Much as that's difficult away at Man City.

4 minutes ago, charlierc said:

We did feel a bit like background NPCs from a video game in losing to Liverpool last weekend, hence why I wouldn't mind offering a bit more this time. Much as that's difficult away at Man City.

It's very tiring, especially this thing where sky/Bt insist on having partial co-commentators. Carragher for the mersyside derby for example.

But they are having an amazing season. Just thinking how funny it would be if we won the fa cup, city won the league and real the ucl

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Massive issues at united, get this summer window wrong and United are going one way. 

The main issue is that half the team are shit. Cant hide from that. Can blame Woodward, Glazers etc but Matic, McTominay, Lindelof, Dalot, Telles, Maguire. All played yesterday. All shit.  

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

The main issue is that half the team are shit. Cant hide from that. Can blame Woodward, Glazers etc but Matic, McTominay, Lindelof, Dalot, Telles, Maguire. All played yesterday. All shit.  

I don't really blame the glazers to be honest, they have pumped enough money into the players. It is the managers that have recommended these players. 

9 hours ago, thetime said:

I don't really blame the glazers to be honest, they have pumped enough money into the players. It is the managers that have recommended these players. 

The owners are responsible for running the club, and if they want all the decisions to rest on the manager then it up to them. City and Liverpool are doing so well because they have a great structure around the managers, and allow them to focus on coaching their team.

9 hours ago, Dan R said:

The owners are responsible for running the club, and if they want all the decisions to rest on the manager then it up to them. City and Liverpool are doing so well because they have a great structure around the managers, and allow them to focus on coaching their team.

Well and you have the 2 best managers in world football helps. Utd should be looking at the transfer model of Liverpool that's for sure.