Football 2021/2022

jyoung

Absolutely incredible news, I was convinced he was leaving in 2 years. It sounds like his wife is the one that suggested it, what a woman. This is the most important signing we could have made, more than any players. However I have seen some other tweets from reliable sources that one of his terms to staying was that we would get Salah and Mane to sign new contracts too. 

Really happy he's staying even longer.

5 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Absolutely incredible news, I was convinced he was leaving in 2 years. It sounds like his wife is the one that suggested it, what a woman. This is the most important signing we could have made, more than any players. However I have seen some other tweets from reliable sources that one of his terms to staying was that we would get Salah and Mane to sign new contracts too. 

fantastic result, and hard times when he leaves, see arsenal & utd.

hes clearly a motivator, but the sgnings hof players have been superb, thats what liverpool need to keep up when klopp leaves.

26 minutes ago, Neil said:

fantastic result, and hard times when he leaves, see arsenal & utd.

hes clearly a motivator, but the sgnings hof players have been superb, thats what liverpool need to keep up when klopp leaves.

Yeah, agreed. Our success in the transfer market over the last 5 years has been ridiculous. I can't think of any signings that have outright failed. Even players like Minamino have played a vital role in some of the cups. 

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Yeah much more of a chance of Salah staying (why would he leave though?!) with Klopp there. Great timing on the announcement too. 

Didnt see zahidfs post, assume it was another tweet dump......

Erik at Utd. Really one of those "well he was good in Holland" signings isnt it? Fuck knows.

15 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah much more of a chance of Salah staying (why would he leave though?!) with Klopp there. Great timing on the announcement too. 

Didnt see zahidfs post, assume it was another tweet dump......

Erik at Utd. Really one of those "well he was good in Holland" signings isnt it? Fuck knows.

For the first time in my life I can actually say that I don't know where Salah would go that isn't likely a step down or a mistake. We are finally (along with City) the best team in the world so I don't know why he would leave unless it is all about money, which to be fair I don't think it is. He gave an interview saying he wanted some assurances, I wonder if Klopp staying was one of them.

Ten Haag could do really well but he needs to be given time so it all depends on how patient the fans can be I think. Squad-wise you're in a better place than we were when Klopp took over but the structure of the club is a disaster at the moment. I think the entire culture needs to change before you start seeing huge on-field changes.

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Ten Haag could do really well but he needs to be given time so it all depends on how patient the fans can be I think. Squad-wise you're in a better place than we were when Klopp took over but the structure of the club is a disaster at the moment. I think the entire culture needs to change before you start seeing huge on-field changes.

Well hes come from Ajax so should be guaranteed attacking football you'd think/hope. Thats a start.

Salah yeah. Id assume Madrid and Barca (or are they broke?) will be in for him this summer. 

Benzema is 35 this year, Hazard is struggling and Bale is done. They've only really got Vinicius.

27 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Well hes come from Ajax so should be guaranteed attacking football you'd think/hope. Thats a start.

Salah yeah. Id assume Madrid and Barca (or are they broke?) will be in for him this summer. 

Benzema is 35 this year, Hazard is struggling and Bale is done. They've only really got Vinicius.

Madrid will surely be getting Mbappe, who plays in the same position as Salah. Absolutely no chance Barca can afford him or his wages.

Bayern might be a possibility though.

38 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Liverpool fans who I work with are genuinely concerned that Newcastle will throw a spanner in the works for their title hopes tomorrow.

Not so sure myself but what a weird old season it has been, can't believe I'm hearing this kind of thing.

I'm concerned about every game from this point on. We've got through the games against struggling teams I always thought we'd win and come away with 4-0 & 2-0 results.

Newcastle are playing well, Spurs have tge players to hurt you even if they are hit and miss, Villa taking points off us under Gerrard has a certain ironic inevitability, Southampton have nothing to lose and Wolves can be difficult if they play to the best of their abilities. 

Of course, we could win all those and still miss out.

5 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

For the first time in my life I can actually say that I don't know where Salah would go that isn't likely a step down or a mistake. We are finally (along with City) the best team in the world so I don't know why he would leave unless it is all about money, which to be fair I don't think it is. He gave an interview saying he wanted some assurances, I wonder if Klopp staying was one of them.

He may have the ambition to be succeed in a different country or may think he has done everything there is to do at Liverpool.

2 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Liverpool fans who I work with are genuinely concerned that Newcastle will throw a spanner in the works for their title hopes tomorrow.

Not so sure myself but what a weird old season it has been, can't believe I'm hearing this kind of thing.

Tbf we don't have the worst record against Liverpool and did take points off them home & away last season. Admittedly its not exactly world-beating given we last beat them in 2015 shortly after Klopp first took over, but it's certainly not as abysmal as our record against Man City or Arsenal, who we usually contrive to lose home and away to and who, rather conveniently, are the two we have to play after Liverpool tomorrow.

But yeah. If we were still playing as poorly as we did under Bruce, you definitely wouldn't be having this kind of conversation with Liverpool supporting peers.

3 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I'm pretty worried about this too.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Huge game today Burnley vs Watford considering Everton have Chelsea tomorrow. Everton could be 5 points adrift with 5 games to play, albeit with a game in hand. Leicester next and Arsenal away last game of the season. 

Burnley go above leeds if they win, Leeds have city this weekend. 

If it goes by form Leeds will probably be stuck on 34 points with 2 to go. I would say Leeds are favourites to go down at the minute. 

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Huge game today Burnley vs Watford considering Everton have Chelsea tomorrow. Everton could be 5 points adrift with 5 games to play, albeit with a game in hand. Leicester next and Arsenal away last game of the season. 

If Burnley lose to Watford it does blow things back open a bit. But that would be precluding the fact that Watford just can't win at home. Unless it's Ole's Manchester United, apparently.

On the topic of Watford, I think we can call it that they were far too hasty in sacking Xisco Munoz. This isn't to say that I think he would've kept them up, but neither Ranieri nor Hodgson has really made things better.

Edited by charlierc

20 minutes ago, charlierc said:

If Burnley lose to Watford it does blow things back open a bit. But that would be precluding the fact that Watford just can't win at home. Unless it's Ole's Manchester United, apparently.

On the topic of Watford, I think we can call it that they were far too hasty in sacking Xisco Munoz. This isn't to say that I think he would've kept them up, but neither Ranieri nor Hodgson has really made things better.

You think whoever was Watford manager they would be going down, although Brentford have stayed up with lower wage budget. Franks manager of the season for me.

5 hours ago, thetime said:

Burnley go above leeds if they win, Leeds have city this weekend. 

If it goes by form Leeds will probably be stuck on 34 points with 2 to go. I would say Leeds are favourites to go down at the minute. 

Two goals in 3 minutes saw Burnley come from behind to beat Watford and indeed, jump Leeds in the table.

So that does make life very interesting for Leeds. It could well be they need Everton to drop points as much given Leeds' pretty uncomfortable fixture run.

5 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

You think whoever was Watford manager they would be going down, although Brentford have stayed up with lower wage budget. Franks manager of the season for me.

Football economists saw the teams that spend most on wages tend to win things, so logically, lowest spenders struggle. The fact Brentford look on for survival is pretty remarkable then, yes, not least given how much it looks nailed on now that Norwich and Watford are going to wind up as bottom 2.