Football 2021/2022

jyoung

On 4/21/2022 at 7:44 AM, thetime said:

You could finish above united at this rate. 🤣

Admittedly it'd need the banter club from Old Trafford to lose all their last 4/4 and Newcastle to win all their last 4, but it's genuinely quite something that we even have a shout at it given we gave everyone else a 14 game head start.

Seeing as Man United put in another terrible defensive disasterclass even with Wan-Bissaka and Maguire dropped, and Bruno Fernandes continued his drop-off with a missed penalty and general scowling, I don't think the first part of that is necessarily impossible.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Admittedly it'd need the banter club from Old Trafford to lose all their last 4/4 and Newcastle to win all their last 4, but it's genuinely quite something that we even have a shout at it given we gave everyone else a 14 game head start.

Seeing as Man United put in another terrible defensive disasterclass even with Wan-Bissaka and Maguire dropped, and Bruno Fernandes continued his drop-off with a missed penalty and general scowling, I don't think the first part of that is necessarily impossible.

well you do have liverpool, city and arsenal to go. No matter though Newcastle have done very well since Jan and spent wisely. Be interesting what happens at your place in the summer. Just hope Burnley and Everton Survive.

I still think there will be a points deduction incoming for breaching sustainability and profit rules. I guess the league will hope they can do it so it doesn't affect anything but sends a message to other clubs trying to break into the super league 6's group.

Edited by lost

59 minutes ago, Neil said:

are you drunk?

Unfortunately not. I think Chelsea are pretty comfortably getting 3rd now (and almost certainly top 4) so don't really have a great deal to play for in the league other than the FA Cup in a few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts rotating a bit.

7 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Unfortunately not. I think Chelsea are pretty comfortably getting 3rd now (and almost certainly top 4) so don't really have a great deal to play for in the league other than the FA Cup in a few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts rotating a bit.

Could actually do with him rotating a few, players keen to force their way into cup final reckoning might put on a better showing than Chelsea have been doing lately.

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Plus they have a difficult game on Thursday. 🤣

4 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

we haven't had a solid first xi all season due to different injuries/lukaku beef/contract stuff etc.

a lot of players really aren't arsed right now so i think anyone could pull a result on the day. 

5 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

West Ham stadium announced to hold national league play off final. The amount of teams currently in the top 7 within 100 miles of the stadium 0. Thinking of fans as always!

is it not usually at wembley?

west hams stadium is one of the worst modern footballing experiences. a horrendous choice. 

it could be such a good event is they a) chose a stadium equidistant between the finalists and b) chose a stadium that would likely fill up. but logic never prevails with them  

38 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

west hams stadium is one of the worst modern footballing experiences. a horrendous choice. 

it could be such a good event is they a) chose a stadium equidistant between the finalists and b) chose a stadium that would likely fill up. but logic never prevails with them  

I have seen us lose the play off final in Wembley. Last year it was Bristol city. The teams likely to be in the play offs are Wrexham, Halifax, Solihull, Chesterfield, notts County and Grimsby. The Midland or Manchester area is the obvious choice. Trouble is it's hard to know how big a stadium you need. Final could be Wrexham v notts County but also could be Solihull v Halifax abs and that's a huge difference in fanbase.

1 hour ago, rock the clock said:

I thought it was at Wembley as well and a Google says in 2012-20 it had been there. The odd one out in 2011 (when Wembley was hosting a Champions League final) had AFC Wimbledon vs Luton Town at the Etihad Stadium in Manchester, which is the inverse problem.

Bristol City last year seems a bit random. Though must've been a covid-related workaround. Similar to when Ashton Gate was used by Russell Howard for a week of stand-up comedy gigs last year to make up for the nearby theatre still being shut due to covid.

23 hours ago, lost said:

I still think there will be a points deduction incoming for breaching sustainability and profit rules. I guess the league will hope they can do it so it doesn't affect anything but sends a message to other clubs trying to break into the super league 6's group.

I'd have thought that might be a problem for next season at this point. Seeing as we saw the struggles the EFL had applying a points deduction to Derby for last season, and ended up giving both points deductions on top of one another for this season instead.

Absolutely ridiculous game with Man City v Real Madrid last night. City were unreal, should have put some more chances away. Benzema being on the pitch means you can never count Real out, that penalty was obscene. 

Still fancy City to reach the final but it’s a lot harder work than it probably should have been.

In contract I expect a pretty tight, boring (for the neutral) game tonight. I’ll go 1-0 Liverpool.

Edited by DareToDibble