Football 2021/2022

jyoung

29 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Liverpool v Chelsea again. Expected them to beat Palace but still had some hope that might not have been the case. They're so solid defensively I expect a similar game to the Carabao Cup Final. Hopefully it goes the same way.

I have actually realised - depending on kick off time - it might be a nightmare to watch as I'm in Bristol for a gig. @crazyfool1we might need to go on the hunt for a pub showing the game beforehand!

I can't wait. The Final is on the last day of The Great Escape festival in Brighton, so I'll be out anyway, it's gonna be so much fun.

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I can't wait. The Final is on the last day of The Great Escape festival in Brighton, so I'll be out anyway, it's gonna be so much fun.

Fun might not be the right word, I can't remember the last time I enjoyed watching us in a big game. It's normally 90/120 minutes of horrendous stress and panic!

But sounds like you've got a great day lined up there mate!

4 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Fun might not be the right word, I can't remember the last time I enjoyed watching us in a big game. It's normally 90/120 minutes of horrendous stress and panic!

But sounds like you've got a great day lined up there mate!

I get what you mean, I always get really nervous for big games. It will be a good day (hopefully!) Yours sounds good too!

On 4/17/2022 at 6:59 PM, WS_Jack_III said:

Eddie Howe, manager of the season.

I think we can call Newcastle staying up now. Pretty sensational turnaround tbf.

I know some will be cynical and say the cash helped, but we spent £80million-odd to go down in 2016 and our spending is still less than Fulham wasted on their squad in 2018/19. We could easily have made a series of shit signings but for a first window and with acclaimed technical director Dan Ashworth yet to join, we've done pretty well.

Also love how legit psyched Bruno is to do well in black-and-white. Two goals at the weekend helps, including the slightly odd first goal.

On 4/17/2022 at 7:03 PM, DareToDibble said:

Liverpool v Chelsea again. Expected them to beat Palace but still had some hope that might not have been the case. They're so solid defensively I expect a similar game to the Carabao Cup Final. Hopefully it goes the same way.

Almost always Liverpool v Man City or Chelsea for the big stuff this year eh?

Quite something how big a gap seems to be appearing between these 3 and the rest of the PL teams that tried to set up the Super League, who now seem locked in their own squabble of who can fail the least to get 4th.

On 4/15/2022 at 9:46 AM, pink_triangle said:

For all the criticism of the Europa league and Europa conference. I find myself far more interested in the progress of West Ham and Leicester than Man City and Liverpool.

I actually think the Conference League semis are on at least the same level as EL - Marseille, Roma and Feyernoord would all be big name winners and Leicester's upturn over the last few years has to have them in that league.

Barcelona losing to Frankfurt with something like 40,000 Frankfurt fans in the Camp Nou was pretty nuts.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Almost always Liverpool v Man City or Chelsea for the big stuff this year eh?

Quite something how big a gap seems to be appearing between these 3 and the rest of the PL teams that tried to set up the Super League, who now seem locked in their own squabble of who can fail the least to get 4th.

and i still think there's quite a significant gap between the other two and chelsea. tuchel has done really well to build a very competitive cup side (very hard to beat), but both the starting xi and squad depth lack quality compared to city/pool imo 

but things come in cycles. i even reckon there's an outside chance that spurs might be able to at least mount a challenge next year - couple more signings and some drop off from the top two and you never know

7 hours ago, charlierc said:

I think we can call Newcastle staying up now. Pretty sensational turnaround tbf.

I know some will be cynical and say the cash helped, but we spent £80million-odd to go down in 2016 and our spending is still less than Fulham wasted on their squad in 2018/19. We could easily have made a series of shit signings but for a first window and with acclaimed technical director Dan Ashworth yet to join, we've done pretty well.

Also love how legit psyched Bruno is to do well in black-and-white. Two goals at the weekend helps, including the slightly odd first goal.

Of course cash helped, literally what the transfer window is for. Liverpool and Man City aren't at the top end of the table by playing a full 11 from their youth systems.

But the absolute biggest influence is the manager and we so desperately needed a change from the dinosaur. No club has ever stayed up after no wins in 14.

6 hours ago, rock the clock said:

and i still think there's quite a significant gap between the other two and chelsea. tuchel has done really well to build a very competitive cup side (very hard to beat), but both the starting xi and squad depth lack quality compared to city/pool imo 

but things come in cycles. i even reckon there's an outside chance that spurs might be able to at least mount a challenge next year - couple more signings and some drop off from the top two and you never know

The team that Frank built. 

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Mancs. Big fans of The S*n Newspaper.

Fuck 'em and the boat they rowed in on. Liverpool absolutely took the piss last night. The difference between the teams is incredible. When Utd were dominating we used to at least give them a game. They'd generally get the points but we showed some fight. I reckon even Hodgson's team would have beaten that lot. 

Have you seen this...

15 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Of course cash helped, literally what the transfer window is for. Liverpool and Man City aren't at the top end of the table by playing a full 11 from their youth systems.

But the absolute biggest influence is the manager and we so desperately needed a change from the dinosaur. No club has ever stayed up after no wins in 14.

Well no. The Premier League is the richest league in the world and you have to spend about £50-60million just to turn up now. I was merely saying that it's really easy for a PL club to spend money very badly and I was concerned we might end up spending our new riches badly. But instead, we made good signings and have improved players we did have.

Also that helps, yes. After West Brom's pummelling by Forest the other night, Steve Bruce was trending on Twitter and it was full of West Brom fans who said they aren't happy with what he's trying to achieve. Much as what he would've done with that cash influx is an interesting thought experiment, we've got this call spot on.

12 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Wrexham had 10k attendance for their last home game. I think Notts County have had 12k this season. Amazing to see those kind of attendances in the 5th tier. 

For all the talk about the premiership being the best league in the world, to me the most impressive thing about English football is the depth of the pyramid.

I picked up a ticket for the non league finals at wembley as I have a few mates who are bromley fans, looking forward to that one

On 4/15/2022 at 10:30 AM, Hugh Jass II said:

Can’t think of anything more unappealing than a West Ham v Rangers European final.

Dildo Bros v Sectarian c**ts

(yes, yes, Celtic are just as bad)

If it’s a question of West Ham v Rangers in the final versus not being in the final, I’ll take Rangers thank you. 

1 hour ago, rock the clock said:

I picked up a ticket for the non league finals at wembley as I have a few mates who are bromley fans, looking forward to that one

I think a fairly decent attendance for that game, with Wrexham having already sold a decent amount and Bromley being relatively close. Ticket also reasonable price. Should be good day, but I have nothing but bad memories of previous Wembley trips!

26 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think a fairly decent attendance for that game, with Wrexham having already sold a decent amount and Bromley being relatively close. Ticket also reasonable price. Should be good day, but I have nothing but bad memories of previous Wembley trips!

how many have wrexham sold? I believe bromley took about 11k last time but with it being on the final day of the prem season there's a lot of Palace fans that will be at the United home game who might've otherwise gone 

What a first PL job for Erik Ten Hag to get. It is theoretically possible the right recruitment could make something out of the sprawling mess that is Manchester United, but they've been saying that since they sacked Moyes in 2014 and we're still having these conversations despite the crazy money being thrown at it.

15 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

how many have wrexham sold? I believe bromley took about 11k last time but with it being on the final day of the prem season there's a lot of Palace fans that will be at the United home game who might've otherwise gone 

I know this doesn't answer the question but I know people who are going there to support Newport Pagnell in the FA Vase game beforehand and I believe they have around 6-7k tickets, which they themselves said a few days ago are close to being sold out. That about the going rate?

I presume Wrexham would bring the biggest of the 4 who are making it tbf.

Edited by charlierc