Football 2021/2022

jyoung

Ended up landing a ticket to the Spurs v Newcastle game yesterday. First time I've seen the Toon in 3 years due to covid, clashes with other commitments and difficulty booking stuff given I live at the other end of England and oh boy did I choose well. 

I've been confused by the pundits raving about Kane's performance. I'm not saying he was anonymous even if he didn't score, but I felt Son, Kulusevski (who I think is a great signing) and the two wing-backs were those that gave Newcastle the bigger problems. That and Newcastle's choice to go to a higher defensive line after it became 2-1 just made them so easy to break through. 

As for the place, Spurs' new stadium is very nice, but I was not expecting how long a walk it is from the nearest tube station. Was knackered even before getting in the ground and the way out was crazy long. Though abandoning the queue for a bus back was the better call.

8 hours ago, The Nal said:

Are Everton going down?

If they lose to Burnley this midweek coming they're in genuine danger. It's 3 from the current bottom 4 imo and I'm not sure Lampard has really improved what was a sinking ship under Benitez, but none of the bottom 3 have done enough to catch them so far.

Edited by charlierc

18 hours ago, charlierc said:

Ended up landing a ticket to the Spurs v Newcastle game yesterday. First time I've seen the Toon in 3 years due to covid, clashes with other commitments and difficulty booking stuff given I live at the other end of England and oh boy did I choose well. 

I've been confused by the pundits raving about Kane's performance. I'm not saying he was anonymous even if he didn't score, but I felt Son, Kulusevski (who I think is a great signing) and the two wing-backs were those that gave Newcastle the bigger problems. That and Newcastle's choice to go to a higher defensive line after it became 2-1 just made them so easy to break through. 

As for the place, Spurs' new stadium is very nice, but I was not expecting how long a walk it is from the nearest tube station. Was knackered even before getting in the ground and the way out was crazy long. Though abandoning the queue for a bus back was the better call.

from tv Kane's second half was great tbf. although I'm a bit confused by all this discussion about him just becoming a great playmaker, i think he's been doing that for a good few seasons now! I think if Conte can keep them motivated they're the best bet for t4 now. 

Spurs' new one is in the exact same place as the old one but it's not got great connections, yeah. It's defo an impressive bowl and much better than the emirates/etihad, but it does all feel a bit americanised with the gimmicky beer pouring etc

also the atmosphere hasn't been as great as it's made out to be when i've been, but that's probably partly down to the fact we've pumped them every time 

7 hours ago, The Nal said:

Matt LeTissier flushing his life down the toilet.

I don't know what Phil Thompson or Charlie Nicholas are up to since leaving Soccer Saturday, but I think not knowing what they're up to might be better than see LeTissier become a football version of Alex Jones from InfoWars.

On 4/5/2022 at 1:03 PM, rock the clock said:

from tv Kane's second half was great tbf. although I'm a bit confused by all this discussion about him just becoming a great playmaker, i think he's been doing that for a good few seasons now! I think if Conte can keep them motivated they're the best bet for t4 now. 

Spurs' new one is in the exact same place as the old one but it's not got great connections, yeah. It's defo an impressive bowl and much better than the emirates/etihad, but it does all feel a bit americanised with the gimmicky beer pouring etc

also the atmosphere hasn't been as great as it's made out to be when i've been, but that's probably partly down to the fact we've pumped them every time 

Yeah Kane has excelled in this role - there was a game last season when he got 4 assists by dropping deep. He's good at that. But at the weekend I felt like Spurs' best play came through Son, who got a goal and an assist and was his usual menacing self, plus I also like Kulusevski and he looks good. I'd also expected the wing-backs to be potentially vulnerable as Spurs fans have been very critical of Emerson Royal while Matt Doherty was having to play out of position due to Reguillon and Sessegnon being injured, and sure enough they got a goal each.

I thought the atmosphere was reasonable enough, although home PL crowds tend not to be a noisy bunch. I guess I also hadn't appreciated that White Hart Lane Overground next door would've taken me to the wrong place (I came into London at Euston, so Victoria Line was in theory the right option) but the long walk up and queue out were pretty tiring. Still, nice to tick it off the 92 if nothing else.

And we're done. That was must win, and losing wasn't an option. Likely into the bottom 3 this weekend and we won't be getting out when we do go there. Burnley's fixtures are favourable and ours are a nightmare.

Individual mistakes are costly, but we don't look like scoring from open play and just have no quality at all. That was our (undeserved) chance to save ourselves and we blew it. We deserve everything we get for spending so much to get here 

On 4/5/2022 at 9:23 AM, DareToDibble said:

If Everton lose to Burnley I would put them favourites to go down despite the fact they would still be ahead on points. Their run of fixtures in April is horrific.

Well, they've lost. So I take it you would now have them as favourites to fall through the trapdoor?

Watford still have to play Leeds, Brentford, Burnley and Everton. From what I've seen of those down the bottom, they seem the better organised team and most likely not to lose games. They could yet be the biggest threat to Everton.

On 4/2/2022 at 9:25 PM, Punksnotdead said:

Hilarious! 😄

On another note, my local team (Cheltenham Town) were 4-2 down at 90 minutes & came back to draw 4-4! Thought we were certain relegation fodder this season, but we're comfortable at 12th in the table!

As a Cambridge season ticket holder, it's been great to see Cheltenham holding their own as well this season, shows the quality that can still be produced on very limited budgets. Think next season is going to be more of a struggle but big wins against teams like Ipswich (and Newcastle in the cup) have really made anything worth it.

There's been some low points (Sheffield away 6-1) and Wycombe at home on Tuesday (4-1) but finishing around mid table is something I would've only dreamed of!

4 hours ago, The Nal said:

Everton - Man Utd, Leicester, LFC, Chelsea, Leicester, Watford, Brenford, Palace, Arsenal

Burnley - Norwich, Hammers, Saints, Wolves, Watford, Villa, Spurs, Villa, Newcastle

Everton could easily lose the next 5

I wouldn't bet against United not showing up at the weekend and gifting them a point or three.

19 hours ago, charlierc said:

Well, they've lost. So I take it you would now have them as favourites to fall through the trapdoor?

I think they have to be now. As I said previously that’s purely down to their remaining fixtures. 
I have a feeling they’ll get something against United but it’s not unbelievable for that to be their last points of the season.

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I wouldn't bet against United not showing up at the weekend and gifting them a point or three.

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

I think they have to be now. As I said previously that’s purely down to their remaining fixtures. 
I have a feeling they’ll get something against United but it’s not unbelievable for that to be their last points of the season.

Such is Manchester United's ridiculous season and the precedent that they've given 4 points to Watford, 1 point to Burnley and nearly dropped points at Norwich that yeah, you can't really rule that out. Leicester potentially prioritising the Europa Conference League may also help a little bit.

Most of the rest of their run-in is pretty abysmal though.

7 hours ago, theesundayroast said:

As a Cambridge season ticket holder, it's been great to see Cheltenham holding their own as well this season, shows the quality that can still be produced on very limited budgets. Think next season is going to be more of a struggle but big wins against teams like Ipswich (and Newcastle in the cup) have really made anything worth it.

There's been some low points (Sheffield away 6-1) and Wycombe at home on Tuesday (4-1) but finishing around mid table is something I would've only dreamed of!

What's the deal with Luke Hannant? Played a big part of your promotion last year, we've signed him and he's been utterly dreadful. Can't take on a man, cross, shoot or pass. Not quick, absolute lightweight.

12 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Thanks for Mullin!

Glad to see he's still banging in the goals! Never had a goal scorer so prolific that he gets a stand named after him (even if it was only for a couple of weeks). Think we're very lucky to have 2 players on 13 goals so far this season, we could've been in big trouble after loosing him. 

12 hours ago, kingbadger said:

What's the deal with Luke Hannant? Played a big part of your promotion last year, we've signed him and he's been utterly dreadful. Can't take on a man, cross, shoot or pass. Not quick, absolute lightweight.

Really not sure what's happened to him in all honesty! As you say, he played such a massive part throughout both 'covid seasons'. In our promotion season we really didn't have a weak link throughout the whole squad, I can only assume it's the case of gelling with one and not the other, maybe missing the partnership with Hoolahan that worked so well?

Just now, The Nal said:

that awful club that keeps on lying. and who  has bottled the league this year.

Usminov's sister has now been sanctioned, surely a matter of time before Morishi is targeted now governments have moved onto friends and family who hold assets for the big guys. I can't see Everton attracting any bidders like Chelsea, anyone sensible would wait for the debt to be wiped out and buy the assets from the administrators.

I actually think Everton going under could help football in the long run. I think the biggest default is probably Parma or Rangers but this would be a different magnitude. It could do to football what the financial crisis did to banks and usher in proper new rules rather than tinkering.

Edited by lost