Football 2021/2022

jyoung

3 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Unless they were there pre Roman then how is it any different? Couldn't you say that they are complicit by working for him?

You could make that argument yeah. Though all I'm saying is I have empathy on a human level for people who lose their jobs at a time when the cost of living is at crisis levels. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Chelsea fans have been complicit in it for years as have the Premier League, the FA and the UK Gov. You can't revel in the glory and then cry over the current situation. The success of the club was built on Roman's money and it's the same money that has been used to support the invasion of Ukraine. No reason for there to be any sympathy for the fans at all. The only sympathy should be for staff who have apparently already been partially laid off according to Pat Nevin. That said, there are bigger fucking fish to fry.

Fair play, that is a sensible post with the current situation especially as its your team.  

3 minutes ago, thetime said:

Fair play, that is a sensible post with the current situation especially as its your team.  

Of course you won't find sensibility on football Twitter but anybody with half a brain should be able to see the bigger picture...

I'm not expecting many outside the Chelsea fanbase to be sympathetic but this is going to be an interesting situation. Even at a time when the word "unprecedented" seems to be used about 48 times a day, I can't think of a parallel where this has happened before.

I think they have just enough leeway until the end of the season even with these restrictions, but beyond that, they'd absolutely need something to get taken over. Having the UK government run the club on a leash like the operator of last resort (as they currently have to do for several train companies that had their franchises confiscated) might be funny to think about to a point, but it's not a sustainable business model. Especially if the likes of 3, Hyundai and their other sponsors bail out.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Didn’t Bury get expelled from the football for less?

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Totally different.

Seeing as a columnist in a national newspaper has called for Chelsea to be kicked out of the Premier League, somebody is going down that path.

Bury's situation was down to a wide variety of messy circumstances that the EFL bodged as I recall. Did give a 23 team League One, which was odd enough even before that season having the last 10 games cancelled due to covid.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

They’ll all be supporting Newcastle soon anyway.

I'll be honest and admit Amanda Staveley saying it was unfair on Roman to have the club taken off him, which she said last week, was a less than ideal public comment given I'm aware a lot of people aren't exactly happy as to who owns 80% of NUFC now.

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I'm not expecting many outside the Chelsea fanbase to be sympathetic but this is going to be an interesting situation. Even at a time when the word "unprecedented" seems to be used about 48 times a day, I can't think of a parallel where this has happened before.

I think they have just enough leeway until the end of the season even with these restrictions, but beyond that, they'd absolutely need something to get taken over. Having the UK government run the club on a leash like the operator of last resort (as they currently have to do for several train companies that had their franchises confiscated) might be funny to think about to a point, but it's not a sustainable business model. Especially if the likes of 3, Hyundai and their other sponsors bail out.

The UK government probably all support Chelsea so they will look after them!

45 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I'll be honest and admit Amanda Staveley saying it was unfair on Roman to have the club taken off him, which she said last week, was a less than ideal public comment given I'm aware a lot of people aren't exactly happy as to who owns 80% of NUFC now.

That was down to her not being up to speed with the PR and every word she utters will be magnified. I can not see her making that mistake again to be honest, just a bit naive. 

Edited by thetime

Just now, thetime said:

That was down to her not being up to speed with the PR and every word she utters will be magnified. I can not see her making that mistake again to be honest, just a bit naive. 

This is true - the media will take any proclamation from a Premier League club's owner and make it massive, not because of some agenda against a selected team but because there is an audience who will flood articles when the owner of a Premier League team speaks their mind. But still, it did feel to me when said like a bit of a mis-step.

9 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Salah has crushed it. He's just been the most consistent PL goalscorer this season and I don't think there's enough games or consistency in the chasing pack.

salah's not a one season wonder, who knew?

Hmmmmm... I can see why VAR didn't get involved with upgrading Havertz's yellow to a red but I think Chelsea were very fortunate Chalobah's challenge on Murphy didn't get penalised by either on-pitch or VAR, the latter of whom has very little excuse for giving it a pass.

Pretty deflating. Chelsea is not our favourite away day (just 2 wins in all competitions there since the late 80s) but we did look good for getting something in spite of illness ruling out several key players.

Everton away on Thursday has the air of a very big game for the Toffees after they lost while Watford and Leeds both won.

• Upvote 1