Football 2021/2022

jyoung

6 hours ago, Neil said:

his money skewed football in a new way it'll take a while to re-settle  and for footy to be sustainable again.

This assuming it ever will? It's one thing that the likes of Chelsea, Man City and PSG have escalated transfer fees to ridiculous levels, and indeed there's the possibility Newcastle might do so if the Saudis are willing to commit as much money as some fans want them to, but further away from the PL is really messy. The Championship is an utter financial basketcase - it shouldn't have taken covid to demonstrate that paying 200% of wages on turnover is a financial mistake - and the gulf between that and League One is also getting pretty big as well.

5 hours ago, eastynh said:

No one should ever want a United win.

I shall be watching the match in a pub in Somerset. Should be interesting.

Looks like anyone wanting a United win today was shit out out of luck.

Someday, somebody might make sense of Manchester United. But clearly that's gonna be a while.

12 minutes ago, charlierc said:

This assuming it ever will? It's one thing that the likes of Chelsea, Man City and PSG have escalated transfer fees to ridiculous levels, and indeed there's the possibility Newcastle might do so if the Saudis are willing to commit as much money as some fans want them to, but further away from the PL is really messy. The Championship is an utter financial basketcase - it shouldn't have taken covid to demonstrate that paying 200% of wages on turnover is a financial mistake - and the gulf between that and League One is also getting pretty big as well.

Not convinced it's just the championship. I think there are Wrexham and Stockport players on 300k a year in the 5th tier and others spending big to keep up. League 2 also has several teams in a financial mess.

23 hours ago, charlierc said:

Well he had to sooner or later. Seems like the damage is done for West Brom's hopes of getting back to the Premier League at the first attempt but then it is the Championship. If any division is going to have a team coming from 7 positions and 5 points back to swipe a play-off position right at the end, it's probably that one.

Don't worry. We won't.

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2022 at 8:10 PM, pink_triangle said:

Not convinced it's just the championship. I think there are Wrexham and Stockport players on 300k a year in the 5th tier and others spending big to keep up. League 2 also has several teams in a financial mess.

Yeah... that's pretty unsustainable as well.

I guess it's most notable in the Championship given the reward for getting promoted is so massive, but the trickle down with that going on elsewhere as well is also insane.

10 hours ago, The Nal said:

Midfield. McFred and Pogba. Pogba is dogshit. 

See I haven't seen the game but the person in for the biggest kicking was Harry Maguire. Though that seems to be par for the course. Wan-Bissaka also got a slagging off but Man City seemed to just send everyone down that flank, so it didn't help.

The stat doing the rounds is that Man United had less than 10% possession in the last 15 minutes. Which is extremely poor - almost like if it's a League 2 team holding on in an FA Cup upset.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Everton looking in big trouble now, they could be properly fucked if they drop.

Can't imagine they have many relegation clauses to go with those massive contracts, not to mention the owner being sanctioned and the money committed to that massive new stadium.

Very happy I dont pay council tax in Liverpool right now. The stuff that’s come out about Joe Anderson since he signed the deal with Everton.. Who knows what the city of Liverpool is on the hock for? 

2 hours ago, lost said:

Very happy I dont pay council tax in Liverpool right now. The stuff that’s come out about Joe Anderson since he signed the deal with Everton.. Who knows what the city of Liverpool is on the hock for? 

Liverpool City Council is fucking dog shit!!!

8 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Everton looking in big trouble now, they could be properly fucked if they drop.

Can't imagine they have many relegation clauses to go with those massive contracts, not to mention the owner being sanctioned and the money committed to that massive new stadium.

I think Leeds will be the team to go.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

What was the point of that Shelvey apology? Footballer social media apologies for things that don't merit apologies may be the most annoying new trend in football.

Yeah bit of an odd one, I mean, fair play to him but the whole teams played crap, still won so who cares?