Football 2021/2022

jyoung

On 2/27/2022 at 8:15 PM, pink_triangle said:

FIFA ordering Russia to play without their flag and national anthem in upcoming matches. In sure Sweden, Czech and Poland will say that's ok now!

FIFA has since backtracked and exiled Russia from the qualification field.

Not sure if this means we'll get Poland getting a bye to the play-off final or an alternative opponent. Same as well with what it means for any replacement of Russia at the Women's Euros in July, given the ban seems to also be in place for that.

On 2/24/2022 at 4:40 PM, efcfanwirral said:

"more important things, not the time blah blah blah" I know

But Everton are going to be fucked when Usmanov gets sanctioned. Essentially our shadow backer with outlandish (and frankly really dodgy) sponsorship deals involving his and Moshiri's company USM, which is Russian. Plus Megafon are a sponsor too. I also don't know how much of Moshiri's personal wealth comes from his USM connection (how we're able to have them sponsoring anything when he's on the board of directors I have no idea)

Morally, we're going to have to cut ties fully, and pretty immediately. We're skirting on the edges with FFP as it is and its unlikely we'll find a new sponsor who'll pay quite as much as USM though I imagine finding a new one won't be an issue.

Luckily we do have Richarlison and Calvert Lewin to sell if we need to.

Premier League survival is huge now!

That day may have arrived - Alisher Usmanov: Everton-linked Russian billionaire has assets frozen by EU - BBC Sport

No hint yet on whether the UK has issued its own sanctions, but the EU actions may complicate Usmanov's ability to step up to his Everton obligations.

21 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

👀

I'm content as a Newcastle fan to move on from Steve Bruce discussion as there really is nothing more for us to say really, but it's genuinely weird to see him having a similar streak to Jack Rodwell at Sunderland where that first win this season just never comes.

Edited by charlierc

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

That day may have arrived - Alisher Usmanov: Everton-linked Russian billionaire has assets frozen by EU - BBC Sport

No hint yet on whether the UK has issued its own sanctions, but the EU actions may complicate Usmanov's ability to step up to his Everton obligations.

We've fucked it now by not doing it voluntarily. There'll be no sympathy or leniency if needed

That said, he's officially only a sponsor and they can always be replaced. It's how much he underwrites Moshiri that's our biggest issue, and whether or not he was the unknown source of our stadium funding

50 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Not asking for the club to repay the loans is huge to be fair. Isn't it something like £1.5bn?

Something like that, yes. Quite the enhanced investment on the original £150million spent to acquire the club nearly 20 years ago.

It feels like this could be a pretty difficult sale, especially if not done quickly.

10 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I guess you can't say fairer than that. Plus it also makes survival even more of a must with all the Usmanov cash exiled (we'll park the stadium discussions as they feel like a whole other conversation on top).

A new sponsor should fill some of the hole, and with FFP we need to live within our means anyway now. Two saleable assets in Richarlison and DCL if needed plus a huge amount of deadwood off the wage bill this summer. 

We've spent our way to a relegation battle so being forced to be shrewd again might be a good thing

50 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Something like that, yes. Quite the enhanced investment on the original £150million spent to acquire the club nearly 20 years ago.

It feels like this could be a pretty difficult sale, especially if not done quickly.

its not an investment when its a loan.

Good lord what is this!?

EDIT: Just realised this article was May 2021, no idea how I missed this first time around!

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/0268-12157d69ce2d-9f011c70f6fa-1000--new-format-for-champions-league-post-2024-everything-you-need-t/

2443ED9D-92EF-4BAC-8436-80E7849BA9FF.jpeg

Edited by DareToDibble

3 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Good lord what is this!?

EDIT: Just realised this article was May 2021, no idea how I missed this first time around!

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/0268-12157d69ce2d-9f011c70f6fa-1000--new-format-for-champions-league-post-2024-everything-you-need-t/

2443ED9D-92EF-4BAC-8436-80E7849BA9FF.jpeg

This was confirmed the day before the European Super League piped up. Just because the ESL was the bigger evil doesn't excuse this shitshow.