Football 2021/2022

jyoung

11 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Also, you sound salty about Newcastle 😂

I’ve never ever* given a flying fuck about Newcastle. Don’t like them, don’t dislike them. You just don’t register with us at all.

*I think the last time I spent any time thinking about you Geordies was the 1992/93 season. 

The Bournemouth side that Howe brought up the football league, I've never seen a team time waste, fall to the floor and 'game manage' like it. If it's bad for Premier League levels, imagine what it was like in League 1. Horrible team, hated the 'rags to riches' narrative too when they were bankrolled by a billionaire and gazumping everyone in terms of wages.

• Upvote 1

"more important things, not the time blah blah blah" I know

But Everton are going to be fucked when Usmanov gets sanctioned. Essentially our shadow backer with outlandish (and frankly really dodgy) sponsorship deals involving his and Moshiri's company USM, which is Russian. Plus Megafon are a sponsor too. I also don't know how much of Moshiri's personal wealth comes from his USM connection (how we're able to have them sponsoring anything when he's on the board of directors I have no idea)

Morally, we're going to have to cut ties fully, and pretty immediately. We're skirting on the edges with FFP as it is and its unlikely we'll find a new sponsor who'll pay quite as much as USM though I imagine finding a new one won't be an issue.

Luckily we do have Richarlison and Calvert Lewin to sell if we need to.

Premier League survival is huge now!

Edited by efcfanwirral

I think labour have actually called for Chelsea to be taken off Abramovich. Usmanov seems to still be under the radar a little. If Everton go down and have to rebuild then so be it. Some things are more important than football.

1 hour ago, lost said:

I think labour have actually called for Chelsea to be taken off Abramovich. Usmanov seems to still be under the radar a little. If Everton go down and have to rebuild then so be it. Some things are more important than football.

I don't really go down this road - we can be interested in stuff outside of the wider goings on. We're stakeholders in a way. Possibly on my own here as I'm not particularly socially or morally conscious anymore!!

Going down isn't a direct influence of this looming financial issue (unless we end up in administration but that's pretty unlikely) - that's on the pitch for now. If we go down I doubt we come back though 

37 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I don't really go down this road - we can be interested in stuff outside of the wider goings on. We're stakeholders in a way. Possibly on my own here as I'm not particularly socially or morally conscious anymore!!

Going down isn't a direct influence of this looming financial issue (unless we end up in administration but that's pretty unlikely) - that's on the pitch for now. If we go down I doubt we come back though 

Are you the 2nd longest consecutive stay in the top league? I'm sure I read arsenal are the longest.

21 minutes ago, thetime said:

Are you the 2nd longest consecutive stay in the top league? I'm sure I read arsenal are the longest.

Yep looks like it - Arsenal since 1919 and us since 1954. We nearly went in 1994 and 1998 with absolutely terrible teams of players who really should've been playing in Division 1.

I'm actually as concerned now with this expensively assembled squad of chancers

32 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yep looks like it - Arsenal since 1919 and us since 1954. We nearly went in 1994 and 1998 with absolutely terrible teams of players who really should've been playing in Division 1.

I'm actually as concerned now with this expensively assembled squad of chancers

Changes every couple of weeks doesn't it? One minute you think Newcastle, then Everton and now Leeds. Burnley looked gone a few weeks ago, now they have strung a few results together. 

Villa could be dragged into it As well, 1 win in 7.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Changes every couple of weeks doesn't it? One minute you think Newcastle, then Everton and now Leeds. Burnley looked gone a few weeks ago, now they have strung a few results together. 

Brentford in major trouble with the games in hand situation, and that might save us too as we've got a game or two on many around us.

That said, we still play Newcastle, Watford, Burnley and Brentford before the end so that muddies it a little 

2 hours ago, thetime said:

Watford and Norwich need a big turnaround given they've played more games than Burnley, Newcastle and Everton and still have a points deficit. So unless one of those two goes on a mega run (not impossible tbf), it could be one of Burnley, Newcastle, Everton, Leeds and Brentford, given the latter two are in terrible form.

9 hours ago, charlierc said:

Watford and Norwich need a big turnaround given they've played more games than Burnley, Newcastle and Everton and still have a points deficit. So unless one of those two goes on a mega run (not impossible tbf), it could be one of Burnley, Newcastle, Everton, Leeds and Brentford, given the latter two are in terrible form.

Hopefully leeds.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Poland boycotting their play off game against Russia. Hopefully FIFA/UEFA will kick Russia out - Poland don't deserve to lose their chance of qualifying.

If they let Russia through I would hope more countries boycott the finals. Is anyone actually bothered about a qatar world cup anyway?