Football 2021/2022

jyoung

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

The mess Rafa has been left with isn't his fault - an expensively assembled and disjointed squad, always one or two injuries away from disaster. I think any manager would struggle with this lot.

He's got players back though now. Its basically the same team that was around the euro spots last year and were only overtaken by Leeds and Arsenal on the last day when I guess Carlo knew he was going. Adding a rightback to replace the aging Coleman and it wasn't a bad starting 11.

He spend pre-season trying to shift James who he fell out with during his shocking 9 months at Madrid and was obviously carrying a 6 year grudge. Now the same thing is happening with Digne. He played a 33 year old right back out of position vs Brighton rather than play him and it sounds like France's number 1 in that position is being hurried out to his mate Steve G for £20m.

Honestly its this attitude purely for me rather than him being ex-Liverpool, the constant scapegoating and lying.  He seems a horrible individual and a complete chancer and I'm starting to hate the club because of him. He's been living off 45 minutes from Steven Gerrard his whole career. 

I'm not sure the board are going to bounce back from hiring him either. Alot of money has been spent but you look at Spurs with Nuno who were top half vs Rafa who is smashing every record for defeats and wonder where the action is? The new ground was always there but I think these 6 months plus could now override that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Chris Woods is not what you expect for the richest club in the world.

It's amazing we managed to sign Trippier with the position we're in. Opposition fans are quite funny, make out we all think we'll be signing Mbappe and the likes (no Newcastle fans said this other than with their tongue firmly in their cheek) and then when we go for more realistic targets they mock and say it's a lack of ambition. 

Man City were in a better position than we are and these were their first 10 signings post takeover:

Robinho

Bridge

Bellamy 

De Jong

Given

Nielsen

Barry

Santa Cruz

Taylor

Tevez

Edited by WS_Jack_III

59 minutes ago, thetime said:

If you sign a player like tevez you would be doing very well. 

and he came in their second window, we just need to do anything to stay up to have an amazing summer window. 

BTW, Wood has a very similar overall scoring record in the Prem as Callum Wilson (who is out until March)

6 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

and he came in their second window, we just need to do anything to stay up to have an amazing summer window. 

BTW, Wood has a very similar overall scoring record in the Prem as Callum Wilson (who is out until March)

Tevez, De Jong, Barry and Bellamy would have you easily fighting for Europe.

18 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Valencia most impressive.

Yup which is why I should of said since 45 minutes from Stevie G. Alot of of charity shields, Italian charity shields and European charity shields in there. Many of which the previous manager won the major trophy which meant qualification for the one off match.

Think he's had Real Madrid, Mourinho's Inter champions league winning team and Di Matteo's Chelsea champions league winning team in that time and he's got the 2nd tier European title and an Italian domestic cup.

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

That wasn’t a bad career move. The move was fucked by him fouling Gary Charles

Disagree. Letting him go over there on his own, with no support network, no mates (apart from Five Bellies!), no family, to a club who were mid table in a country where he didnt speak the language was a mistake. He could've went to nearly any club in the world at that stage. 

Lazio, Rangers, Boro and Everton. No WC in 94 and dropped in 98. Hardly the career path you would've imagined after those tears in Turin in 1990.

What could have been if Fergie had've gotten a hold to him. 

3 hours ago, jyoung said:

Valencia most impressive. The Inter and Chelsea ones don't mean much. As for Championship you'd hope he would win that.

To be fair Valencia had already gotten to 2 back to back Champions League finals before he arrived and almost won the league.

But he won a CL with Djimi Traore in the team so kudos to him. 

Edited by The Nal

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Lazio, Rangers, Boro and Everton. No WC in 94 and dropped in 98.

I'm not sure if anyone else has been to an evening with Paul Merson?

Boro in their wisdom decided to put Gazza in a shared house with Merson. Apparently they played a game most nights when there wasn't a match the next day where they both put a weeks wage down on the table. They'd then order a case of wine, drop two sleeping tablets and start drinking through the wine. The last one conscious won the money.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Disagree. Letting him go over there on his own, with no support network, no mates (apart from Five Bellies!), no family, to a club who were mid table in a country where he didnt speak the language was a mistake. He could've went to nearly any club in the world at that stage. 

He wasn’t good enough after his injury and wasn’t fit enough after his injury to play for the best clubs week in week out. 

Lazio, Rangers, Boro and Everton. No WC in 94 and dropped in 98. Hardly the career path you would've imagined after those tears in Turin in 1990.

Yup. See above. 

Absolutely zero I’d imagine. Other than a larger fall from grace. Gazza’s had help from many people over the years. He’s got sober many times and has always fallen off the wagon again. You can’t help someone before they’ve chosen to help themselves. 

How many wayward players did fergie deal with? Cantona and that's about it.

He shipped mcgrath out, he shipped Whiteside out. Big norm was practically finished, but mcgrath played on for the best part of 10 years.

Morrison is another he couldn't get a tune out off, Sharpe was also sent on his way. 

For me gazza was to much of a free spirit for anyone to handle. 

Fergie had to rule the roost, if you stepped out of line you were out. 

Edited by thetime

37 minutes ago, thetime said:

How many wayward players did fergie deal with? Cantona and that's about it.

He shipped mcgrath out, he shipped Whiteside out. Big norm was practically finished, but mcgrath played on for the best part of 10 years.

Morrison is another he couldn't get a tune out off, Sharpe was also sent on his way. 

For me gazza was to much of a free spirit for anyone to handle. 

Fergie had to rule the roost, if you stepped out of line you were out. 

Very true but Fergie actually wanted to sign Gazza. He inherited the players above. Morrison aside. Turns out he was useless anyway. 

Theres also the argument that a few players who had great careers couldve fallen off the rails without Fergie. Giggs for example is a total dickhead. 

13 hours ago, eastynh said:

Tevez, De Jong, Barry and Bellamy would have you easily fighting for Europe.

Wonder what players out there count as their modern equivalents.

Granted we had Bellamy about five years before he joined Man City. As I recall, started well but the ending was spectacularly rough. Not helped by Souness' crap man management, but it was probably an explosion coming regardless of who was in charge. He seems calmer out of the game than he did it.

19 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I don't think he's a terrible signing in our current situation. I just don't see why Burnley would sell him to us given we're direct relegation rivals and we just had this conversation over James Tarkowski, who was also linked with Newcastle a few weeks back.

Some are reporting a surprise release clause in his contract, but I'm not sure how much I believe it. I feel like somebody else would've triggered it before now if it was as low as some clickbait sites are declaring.