Football 2021/2022

jyoung

On 10/26/2021 at 10:28 AM, eastynh said:

What Bennell did was absolutely dusgusting. But, I am not sure why City should be held liable for what he did. Bennell was not employed by City in any capacity when the boys were abused. Its different owners and totally different staff from top to bottom.

when you buy a business, you buy the liabilities too - here's betting they collected money contractually owed to previous owners.

Edited by eFestivals

On 10/24/2021 at 6:02 PM, lost said:

You might but the point here is someone else doesn't which is why the racism complaint has been made most paid welders. Someone thinks a Saudi man in London may suffer a racist attack if we point out chopping up a journalist into little pieces with a bone saw is wrong.

Its just part of their culture we don't understand. 

Qatar is so rich that they could bribe most (if not the entire) of the FIFA committee who were voting for the 2022 host. Bare in mind that half the committee are people from poor African and Caribbean countries that can be easily bribed for votes.

20 hours ago, eFestivals said:

when you buy a business, you buy the liabilities too - here's betting they collected money contractually owed to previous owners.

Thats fair enough. But, it is a stretch to suggest Manchester City are complicit in any of this. It stinks of opportunitism.

I would want Bennell beat within an inch of his life, every single day if his life. I would be trying to leech money out of a footba club.

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

it is a stretch to suggest Manchester City are complicit in any of this. It stinks of opportunitism.

they weren't unknowing!! and its a stretch to suggest they were.

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

I would want Bennell beat within an inch of his life, every single day if his life. I would be trying to leech money out of a footba club.

On 10/28/2021 at 9:38 AM, squirrelarmy said:

Interesting table I’ve seen elsewhere on the internet. Obviously created by an Arsenal fan. 

E1CAA7B9-970C-48D9-A52E-F7F8C76067C4.jpeg.eafd96d596a8e50285e905e51df0ff97.jpeg

Definitely made by an Arsenal fan as they've done it alphabetically after "number of clean sheets" rather than then ordering it by "goal conceded" 😄 

That is absolutely damning of Man Utd though, wow. Had no idea it was that bad.

On 10/28/2021 at 9:32 AM, pink_triangle said:

If I was Xavi I wouldnt go near Barcelona. That squad isn't going to do anything regardless of manager.

It's one of the worst Barcelona squads in years, and with their finances seemingly getting worse before they get better, it's going to take a lot of work to make them Champions League competitive again. At this rate getting that squad into the top 4 would be an achievement.

I mean the new Barcelona manager has a job on their hands - given the 3-0 thumping by Chelsea that just happened, and the prospect a win for Norwich puts the Toon bottom, safe to say the new Newcastle boss will have quite the job on their hands. Still ages until January and a strange mix of some must wins and difficult looking contests on the fixture list.

17 hours ago, lost said:

Its not great for Sancho if they are going to play with a back 5 going forward, especially as he struggled to get in the team when they did play with wingers.

Makes you wonder if their chase was worth it. They seemed to be courting Sancho for years, nearly signed him last year only to fumble various parts of the deal, brought him to the Premier League at huge expense from Dortmund this year, and now don't seem to know how to make him work in their team.

17 hours ago, zahidf said:

Utd are BACK.  Keep Ole at the wheel for another couple of seasons and let's ignore all this silly Conte talk. 

I mean, on a one-off game, sure, but Spurs offered nothing. Again. If they beat Man City next weekend (not impossible given Ole has a pretty decent record in Manchester derbies), that could well be just cause for getting carried away.

24 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Makes you wonder if their chase was worth it. They seemed to be courting Sancho for years, nearly signed him last year only to fumble various parts of the deal, brought him to the Premier League at huge expense from Dortmund this year, and now don't seem to know how to make him work in their team.

Ronaldo has screwed the system up basically.

6 hours ago, charlierc said:

To be fair Sancho is still very young and is a great player 

It's not like Ole is gonna be around forever. Think he's still going to prove himself a success in the prem 

1 hour ago, rock the clock said:

It's not like Ole is gonna be around forever. Think he's still going to prove himself a success in the prem 

I think you need to do more than Sancho has in his career to be considered a great player, suppose it depends how you define great.

27 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think you need to do more than Sancho has in his career to be considered a great player, suppose it depends how you define great.

Not that he's had a great career, or he's 'one of the greats' etc. Just that he's great at footy. 

Fella has been putting up crazy numbers the last couple of seasons. Sure, the quality of the German league can be debated, but for a player of his age I'd say he's done very well so far 

The papers are now suggesting Dean Smith is under threat after losing 4 on the bounce. This is what I mentioned a few pages back if every club has a billionaire owner then that just becomes the new floor and dropping tens of millions per transfer window no longer guarantees any success. If chairmen expect that success then alot of jobs are going to become revolving doors.

I wonder if a bun fight for managers may start too. The beeb is now linking Fonseca with spurs again when it was suggested Newcastle was a done deal a few days ago. Foreign managers may not want these jobs over say an Ajax or Porto where they may get more opportunity to build something but with less money.

Spurs currently 8th after 10 games, 2 points off the European places.

Edited by lost

29 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

Not that he's had a great career, or he's 'one of the greats' etc. Just that he's great at footy. 

Fella has been putting up crazy numbers the last couple of seasons. Sure, the quality of the German league can be debated, but for a player of his age I'd say he's done very well so far 

To be fiar he has not done anything in a united shirt, it is up to him to earn his place.

8 hours ago, zahidf said:

Ronaldo has screwed the system up basically.

I don't know if its just down to him tbf - feels like he arrived late back from the Euros if injured and is being played out of position a lot on the left due to the emergence of Greenwood. But it's another factor to a multi-layered situation. If Man Utd start to do the 3-4-1-2 more often, it does make things more tricky to fit him in.

2 hours ago, rock the clock said:

I guess it's the nature of the beast where, for fee and Bundesliga prestige, he was billed as an instant success and has found the going rougher than expected. It can happen in football but part of it seems to be not helped by Man Utd almost taking a Galactico policy of just signing all the attackers, and the risk that Sancho just could end up being a more expensive Donny van de Beek.

Edited by charlierc