Football 2021/2022

jyoung

1 minute ago, lost said:

I'd much rather people learn to differentiate between race and culture.

So say having a massive banner with a rascist stereotype of an Arab on it would be an example of rascism whilst a banner that simply criticised the Saudi regime wouldn't be? 

You've brought up anti-Semitism imagine a banner criticising Israel but having a racist stereotype cartoon on it, it would rightly cause outrage.

1 minute ago, mcshed said:

So say having a massive banner with a rascist stereotype of an Arab on it would be an example of rascism whilst a banner that simply criticised the Saudi regime wouldn't be? 

You've brought up anti-Semitism imagine a banner criticising Israel but having a racist stereotype cartoon on it, it would rightly cause outrage.

I haven't seen the banner. I just read it had a list of human right abuses carried out by the house of Saud.

19 minutes ago, Copperface said:

As an aside, as a local and one who was at SJP last week, the atmosphere around the toon is great. The general opinion on the furore around the Saudi involvement is that very few of the other PL clubs have any moral high ground in this, it's simply the way things are......owners with questionable track records are rife in the PL (even at Palace see Blitzer and Blackstone) and the only reason NUFC are being targetted is that several other clubs are now cacking themselves about the arrival of more competition. Water off a ducks back.

I mean most Newcastle fans have decided they want the money and then worked backwards to justify why this is acceptable, as opposed to examine the evidence and then make a decision. This is no different to what fans of any clubs would do, but I do have slightly more respect for those who say we just want to win football matches and don't care about human rights abroad, at least these are the honest ones.

I would also argue you can take the money without feeling the need to defend criticism of the Saudi regime like the banner. I hope fans (home or away) will be allowed to protest about Saudi human rights in SJP if they choose. The right to protest is a freedom we all should support 

2 minutes ago, mcshed said:

It had a rascist cartoon carrying a blood dripping sword next to that list.

Well the sword is part of the house of Saud's family crest. It isn't blood dripping though.

If you show me a condensed 5 minute clip I may be tempted, or summarise the key points. I'm not spending 22 minutes on anything though! Note if it starts talking about contrived statistics like win percentage of those who have managed 1000 games in different leagues and countries, including some premiership. I have nothing more to say!

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

Cool, still a racist cartoon.

Hmm not sure I'd call the house of Saud a race. I'd say arabs are the race. I guess the next question to that is I wanted to create a political cartoon depicting members of the house of Saud how am I expected to draw them or as i said is any debate or commentary regarding their actions off limits due to racism?

17 minutes ago, lost said:

Hmm not sure I'd call the house of Saud a race. I'd say arabs are the race. I guess the next question to that is I wanted to create a political cartoon depicting members of the house of Saud how am I expected to draw them or as i said is any debate or commentary regarding their actions off limits due to racism?

I don't want to post it here but you'll easily find a picture of the poster in question and I'd say it's a rascist depiction of an Arab.

1 minute ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Some shocking abuse of Ole going on, he's a good bloke and been a great servant to the game, the Man United fans are being very disrespectful.

The ones which haven't left the game early.

He's completely out of his depth. Always fun watching UTD getting thrashed 

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

The ones which haven't left the game early.

He's completely out of his depth. Always fun watching UTD getting thrashed 

It's absolutely terrible, he's doing his best and wants the best for the club. They're hounding out a great man, he should be given more time 😂

• Like 1