Football 2021/2022

jyoung

22 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Another day off for the Newcastle squad. That's apparently 7 days off since the takeover. No wonder they look so unfit. Bruce is an appalling football manager.

I'd need to double check, but didn't we have most goals conceded after 80 mins, and fewest scored after 80 minutes last season?

20 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I know we previously discussed him not wanting to move North but I'm sure I read this morning or yesterday that Eddie Howe has met/is meeting with the new owners?

Wouldn't Newcastle fans be  bit underwhelmed with the appointment? Isn't it a club that isn't suited to Eddie howe's style. 

10 minutes ago, thetime said:

Wouldn't Newcastle fans be  bit underwhelmed with the appointment? Isn't it a club that isn't suited to Eddie howe's style. 

Anyone who isn't Fat Sam, Pulis, or the other merry-go-round shit-team managers would be fine. It's about having an upgrade to start the project.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Anyone who isn't Fat Sam, Pulis, or the other merry-go-round shit-team managers would be fine. It's about having an upgrade to start the project.

That's what I mean though, would eddie howe want to be the start of a project. He seems to thrive on longevity rather than couple of years and being replaced by a stellar name. 

Edited by thetime

40 minutes ago, thetime said:

That's what I mean though, would eddie howe want to be the start of a project. He seems to thrive on longevity rather than couple of years and being replaced by a stellar name. 

No idea. But he's spent money at Bournemouth, and I suspect he knows that his stock isn't really going to rise higher there.

It's worth mentioning, that while making no progress is obviously going to be viewed as a failure, whenever the next manager gets sacked, they're likely to be considered hard done by in terms of football narrative, and get sympathy and credit going into a next job.

21 hours ago, lost said:

This seems to have the potential to be very tricky to figure out. There are a fair few clubs with commercial deals linked to their owners (Leicester and Everton) along with the headline grabbing deals at Man City and you do get the feeling figuring this out has potential to be an absolute mess.

Of course, as noted, Newcastle did have sponsorship arrangements for SportsDirect and other Ashley companies but it does feel like the club didn't exactly earn a great deal if at all from them.

20 minutes ago, charlierc said:

This seems to have the potential to be very tricky to figure out. There are a fair few clubs with commercial deals linked to their owners (Leicester and Everton)

Everton's are linked to Usmanov, the club are owned by Moshiri. Moshiri reduced his stake in USM in the recent accounts (Even though the M stands for Moshiri 😆) and officially Usmanov has nothing to do with club.

I can't see why the Saudi's can't do something similar setting new companies outside the structure in family or party names but still Everton have some brass neck voting this through. 

Really hasn't done us much good though when you look at the two teams and benches Everton and West Ham put out Sunday and now Doucouré is injured too. Definitely a warning to Newcastle.

Edited by lost

2 hours ago, thetime said:

As I've previously mentioned, I wanted Howe in before the takeover. No guarantee he'd keep us up but hopefully the football would improve.

I know the owners don't want to rush and make the wrong decision here but it's honestly starting to get a bit worrying that Bruce remains.

36 minutes ago, thetime said:

Big difference in being linked and actually wanting the job. 

True. I think it's kinda what muddies the water for us on the outside looking in, given we're kinda subject to an endless litigation over who is or isn't suitable for the position without really knowing who fancies it and who can start right away.

1 hour ago, lost said:

Everton's are linked to Usmanov, the club are owned by Moshiri. Moshiri reduced his stake in USM in the recent accounts (Even though the M stands for Moshiri 😆) and officially Usmanov has nothing to do with club.

I can't see why the Saudi's can't do something similar setting new companies outside the structure in family or party names but still Everton have some brass neck voting this through. 

Really hasn't done us much good though when you look at the two teams and benches Everton and West Ham put out Sunday and now Doucouré is injured too. Definitely a warning to Newcastle.

I did wonder what the USM stuff was or how it was working in practice. Some of that sounds... interesting. Not least as I heard USM already got pre-emptively sold naming rights to Everton's planned new stadium.

But that's why I think the idea is going to need work - taking the piss flooding of the club accounts is fair enough in raising red flags, but it's not like the rest of the league hasn't been doing this for years.

I have seen this as well, yes. Everton have thrown money at the squad since 2016, yet cracking into the top 6 remains elusive. Just because we have cash to throw at the playing squad doesn't mean it's going to be a magic passport to the Champions League by 2026. Hell, we need to stay up first - easier said than done when our defence ideally need replacement.