Football 2021/2022

jyoung

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

The fans liked Benitez so much that any replacement was going to struggle to win people over. But I get the feeling somebody who managed Sunderland in a pretty mediocre manner a decade or so ago and who, while manager there, said he didn't want to manage Newcastle was going to find it much harder to win people over. This is to say nothing of the fact that less than a year earlier, he'd been fired for alienating everyone at Aston Villa, whose replacement manager duly got them promoted and indeed finished above Newcastle last season. Think we ended up with him due to being rejected by many preferred names, bit like how Spurs got Nuno.

I felt he got very lucky last season - at the March international break we looked screwed then Willock suddenly turned into a goalscorer extraordinaire and bailed him out.

Rafa is being muted, everton can not be fucked over twice this season can they? Especially when you think Everton are a team with bigger prestige than Newcastle.

1 minute ago, thetime said:

Rafa is being muted, everton can not be fucked over twice this season can they? Especially when you think Everton are a team with bigger prestige than Newcastle.

Yeah I've seen Benitez linked with a return, but while I would like the narrative, I would be very surprised if it happened.

• Like 1

Benitez won't quit on Everton, he's a man of principle and will honour his contract. Rodgers just moved into fave spot apparently, I don't think it'll be anyone currently in work though.

I'm honestly not to fussed about who becomes new manager so long as Bruce gets sacked and it isn't any of the merry-go-round types to take over.

6 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Benitez won't quit on Everton, he's a man of principle and will honour his contract. Rodgers just moved into fave spot apparently, I don't think it'll be anyone currently in work though.

I'm honestly not to fussed about who becomes new manager so long as Bruce gets sacked and it isn't any of the merry-go-round types to take over.

It's quite difficult to think who it could be to be honest. Why would Rodgers leave Leicester? 

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

It's quite difficult to think who it could be to be honest. Why would Rodgers leave Leicester? 

Like I said, I don't think it'll be anyone in work currently.

It is difficult to think though, it's this weird opportunity right now. We're in a relegation battle once again (thanks Ashley and Bruce) but are theoretically the richest club in world football.

Personally I don't think our squad is relegation bad (though many other fans around the country do) it's just Bruce is useless and plays everyone out of position or has them on while injured, causing further injury and leaving us short for weeks on end.

The absolute priority right now is to sack Bruce and get his influence away from those players, let Jones take temp charge until a DOF and manager are found.

14 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Is who i wanted to replace Bruce anyway but sounds like he doesn't wanna move north.

You'd think he might consider it for a project like this. Although I suppose he's already at the stage where he doesn't need the money so can be a bit more picky.

Out of curiosity - the 2 Spanish giants are having a terrible time of things. Would you want either of their managers should they become available?

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

You'd think he might consider it for a project like this. Although I suppose he's already at the stage where he doesn't need the money so can be a bit more picky.

Out of curiosity - the 2 Spanish giants are having a terrible time of things. Would you want either of their managers should they become available?

Ancelotti only just gone back hasn't he? Not sure on Koeman, I'm not really up with what goes on in other leagues, how has his time with Barca been? From the outside looking in it seems he hasn't done so great but then they're not really the Barca they once were as you alluded to.

But again, I'd take most anyone over Bruce as long as it's not another Dinosaur manager like Pulis, Hughes or Allardyce.

36 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Ancelotti only just gone back hasn't he? Not sure on Koeman, I'm not really up with what goes on in other leagues, how has his time with Barca been? From the outside looking in it seems he hasn't done so great but then they're not really the Barca they once were as you alluded to.

But again, I'd take most anyone over Bruce as long as it's not another Dinosaur manager like Pulis, Hughes or Allardyce.

To be fair you've hit the nail on the head there. They're both doing poorly but they've taken over teams that are nowhere near the level the once were. It's quite nice to see their capitulation actually 😄 

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

To be fair you've hit the nail on the head there. They're both doing poorly but they've taken over teams that are nowhere near the level the once were. It's quite nice to see their capitulation actually 😄 

Are real madrid doing poorly though? Top of la liga and 2nd in there champions league group. Wish united had that sort of capitulation.

2 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

6 months ago I'd have taken them over Bruce.

19 hours ago, thetime said:

I don't think this is a sign of him immediately being replaced, but I feel like Rodgers is under pressure in a way he hasn't been so far at Leicester. Their results seem broadly more inconsistent than in the last two seasons, and while I'm aware bad luck with defensive injuries and inconsistent attacking midfielders don't help, the results do seem messier. Brighton, Burnley and Palace felt like results they'd get last season, along with the Europa League defeat in Poland. Leicester's defence in particular seems to have fallen apart.

Newcastle would certainly be an easy way out of having to deal with it, but yeah, similar to Rafa, I don't see it happening, especially if we have to pay many millions to sack Bruce and his coaching staff. I feel like likeliest replacement for Bruce will be an out of work boss.

4 hours ago, thetime said:

How about souness going back?

I think the fact he's not managed at all since leaving Newcastle in 2006 means he'd probably be rusty at best. Though he already had a go at a big budget rebuild of Newcastle and his tenure involved signing Michael Owen, Albert Luque and Jean-Alain Boumsong, none of whom are players who exactly had successful spells at SJP.

18 hours ago, thetime said:

Are real madrid doing poorly though? Top of la liga and 2nd in there champions league group. Wish united had that sort of capitulation.

Yeah that's a fair point. I guess there has been a huge drop off but "capitulation" was probably pushing it. Having said that I don't think they'll go that far in the CL.

On 10/11/2021 at 9:43 PM, WS_Jack_III said:

Benitez won't quit on Everton, he's a man of principle

😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

"Chelsea is a big club with fantastic players, every manager wants to coach a such a big team, but I would never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool, no matter what. For me there is only one club in England, and that's Liverpool."

"Everton put eight or nine men behind the ball and defended deep but that's what small clubs do. When a team comes to Anfield and only want a point what else can you call them but a small club?"

Edited by jyoung

I'm surprised graham potter hasn't been mentioned more with Brighton 6th. If Bissouma's issues turn into anything serious he may see it as getting out at the top as he'd be a massive loss.

Speaking of issues Lucas Hernandez is in trouble now. Players seem to be dropping like flies currently for some reason.