Football 2021/2022

jyoung

12 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

As much as sky are trying to make out in the commentary that the nations league matters, I am still to be convinced.

Which would make you even more convinced than Courtois, who seemed to be genuinely resentful of having to play a 3rd/4th play-off. He described it as pointless in a pre-game press conference, and post match said "We're just playing for UEFA to make extra money" and saying nobody cares about the players making them play these extra matches.

I'm aware a few people will play the what about game with him given that he plays for Real Madrid and we're still barely 6 months on from their attempts to form the European Super League (something they still seem to be trying to manifest, judging by recent comments), but it is interesting to see more players ask the question about how many games are too many.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I know this is not remotely the most important thing raised by this post but is it just me or is that UK flag missing the diagonal red crosses for Northern Ireland?

It’s the original flag from the act of Union with Scotland before any of Ireland was included as part of the UK. 

31 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

It won’t take off - in the UK at least - until there’s more coverage on the traditional broadcasters.

Like the premier league. 😃

Its a meaningless competition, there was no need for another international tournament but less internationals. Its like competitions like the community shield and super cups just a waste of time.

Pretty much the same with the europa confrence league, just a waste of time. Personally speaking they should shrink the champions league to the top 2, top 3rd/4th in the europa league  and the return of the cup winners cup. 

9 minutes ago, thetime said:

Its a meaningless competition, there was no need for another international tournament but less internationals. Its like competitions like the community shield and super cups just a waste of time.

Pretty much the same with the europa confrence league, just a waste of time. Personally speaking they should shrink the champions league to the top 2, top 3rd/4th in the europa league  and the return of the cup winners cup. 

But what if big club misses out and revenues?

3 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

But what if big club misses out and revenues?

Of course it will never happen due to this, that's how it all started. If anything it will get worse and more teams in the champions league.

I wonder how many english teams have won the champions league as champions since the champions league started.

Edited by thetime

2 hours ago, thetime said:

I don’t disagree about us not needing another international tournament but…..while we have dates held for international games, I think it works better than pointless friendly games. 
Plus gives a qualifying lifeline to the likes of Scotland so there’s also that 🙂 

Most of the big players seemed to be involved so maybe less call offs when playing for a pot, however meaningless.

Edited by Comfy Bean

4 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

I don’t disagree about us not needing another international tournament but…..while we have dates held for international games, I think it works better than pointless friendly games. 
Plus gives a qualifying lifeline to the likes of Scotland so there’s also that 🙂 

Most of the big players seemed to be involved so maybe less call offs when playing for a pot, however meaningless.

And of course we all know that any break wether it's in season or end of season, the clubs would try and do some tour of somewhere for dough. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

How TF is Bruce still manager of NUFC?  Was expecting his sacking today (was actually expecting it on Friday)

Why do Newcastle fans despise Bruce? Seems to be doing a decent job in difficult circumstances. Decent manager and decent guy by all accounts. Certainly doesn't deserve the abuse he gets. 

5 minutes ago, thetime said:

Why do Newcastle fans despise Bruce? Seems to be doing a decent job in difficult circumstances. Decent manager and decent guy by all accounts. Certainly doesn't deserve the abuse he gets. 

Okay WUM 😂

7 wins in 36 games and he constantly talks down about the fans and blames the media for his team losing. He's an absolute dinosaur and shouldn't get another job in football, the absolute pits!

Oh I forgot, you're Manchester United, he's one of yours.

51 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Okay WUM 😂

7 wins in 36 games and he constantly talks down about the fans and blames the media for his team losing. He's an absolute dinosaur and shouldn't get another job in football, the absolute pits!

Oh I forgot, you're Manchester United, he's one of yours.

Who do you think is likely to take over? 

4 hours ago, thetime said:

I disagree. That format would just result in the bigger teams winning everything. Looking at the teams in the Europa conference there is a decent chance that a (relatively) smaller team will win and that would be massive for the club/fans.

14 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I disagree. That format would just result in the bigger teams winning everything. Looking at the teams in the Europa conference there is a decent chance that a (relatively) smaller team will win and that would be massive for the club/fans.

Reminds me of when united player your team in the cup winners cup, do Wrexham still play in the welsh cup? Or were they banned due to playing in England?

2 hours ago, thetime said:

The fans liked Benitez so much that any replacement was going to struggle to win people over. But I get the feeling somebody who managed Sunderland in a pretty mediocre manner a decade or so ago and who, while manager there, said he didn't want to manage Newcastle was going to find it much harder to win people over. This is to say nothing of the fact that less than a year earlier, he'd been fired for alienating everyone at Aston Villa, whose replacement manager duly got them promoted and indeed finished above Newcastle last season. Think we ended up with him due to being rejected by many preferred names, bit like how Spurs got Nuno.

I felt he got very lucky last season - at the March international break we looked screwed then Willock suddenly turned into a goalscorer extraordinaire and bailed him out.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Mark Hughes

Genuinely think this would've been Ashley's choice for a replacement.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

No can't play the Welsh cup. I remember those days where the foreign player rule really screwed us as half the squad was English.

Screwed all the 'english' clubs, United had to play Gary Walsh at barca and they thumped us 4-0. What a player stoichkov was. Which takes me back when I used to go and watch all wales games, that bulgaria side was a bit tasty.