Football 2021/2022

jyoung

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

How is asking what would it take for football fans to not accept cash from mega rich owners trying to take over their football club not about football?

My guess is you may need to see a video of the owner chopping someone's head off or abusing children before you could get majority opposition 

Because it's a political question rather than one about kicking a bad of air between a set of posts.

You could ask the same question of families watching Marvel movies or kids using Facebook.

42 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

If it was Sunderland taken over by the same people, I suspect their response would be very different.

Do you think the general response of Newcastle fans is better, worse, or pretty much the same as most other clubs' fans would be if the Saudis took over from a detested owner? 

14 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Do you think the general response of Newcastle fans is better, worse, or pretty much the same as most other clubs' fans would be if the Saudis took over from a detested owner? 

I think pretty much the same. As I said I have more respect for the people who just admit they care more about success than human rights, than those who really think the same, but know it's a bit wrong to say it, therefore come up with lame excuses instead.

20 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

To be fair I'm all for marvel and Facebook dissapearing forever 

Marvel at its roots is art. It’s been popular for decades and has influenced culture for decades. 

Facebook on the other hand was created by a cyborg virgin as a tool to help him stalk the hot girls at his university. 

Back on topic…..

6F57520F-9EC9-460F-B88E-D32CE5FCB462.thumb.jpeg.918abfc9021b14aafa8cc7f527f10a9c.jpeg

7213573F-783F-4CCD-B89C-472A46506BB8.jpeg.aa7798ed009d94f99707cfae65b22e0d.jpeg

ironically these pics were stolen from Facebook. 

12 hours ago, thetime said:

I find all this quite interesting, majority of fans would love the saudis to take over there club. Do people really think the average fan cares about there women persecution or the LGBT rights? Do they fuck.

If it means going for pots, that's all they care about. 

This has been discussed for years - James Montague's The Billionaires Club is a good read on this. I'm aware some Newcastle fans are certainly conflicted about whether they should be supporting this or not, but that equally there were a lot more visible people either partying in person outside St James' Park or a borderline over the top use of Twitter in favour of it. It says a lot about how pent up things were over 14 years of Mike Ashley being a rubbish football owner that the promise is enough to be seductive even with so many strings attached.

It's why sportswashing is that effective, and that even though it exists in other sports, I guess as this is the most popular league in the world's most popular sport that it's going attract people that want to invest for those purposes. I'm a big fan of Formula 1 and I know that has a big reputation of accepting money from whomever, but beyond F1 fans asking "Is this OK?", it doesn't seem to get the same mainstream prominence in the same way football does.

I know a lot of objections would've come if they'd brought any other Premier League club to the one I support (indeed, I seem to recall the Saudi PIF was linked with either a takeover or tie-in at Manchester United in 2018) and that it's part of something bigger than just Newcastle. That, and it's also kind of a downer as to the way that football has gone that it takes such a tie-in to be vaguely competitive. Even if you do also have to wonder who else even is there beyond Saudis for this to happen all over again.

54 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think pretty much the same. As I said I have more respect for the people who just admit they care more about success than human rights, than those who really think the same, but know it's a bit wrong to say it, therefore come up with lame excuses instead.

I do suspect that Newcastle fans are being more supportive of it, than if there hadn't been Ashley. If it was coming in the aftermath of Shepherd/Hall (who were also corrupt and shitty), I think there'd have been a little bit more pushback from the fans. Not much, but I think the Saudis can get away with it more easily at Newcastle, because of the last 14 years of hopelessness at the club.

Newcastle are currently in the relegation zone so I was doing a touch of research to see if the FFP rules are the same in the Championship. Would have been funny if Newcastle weren’t allowed to spend anything other than their earnings 😂 

However I’ve found this article from March this year. Obviously went under the radar at the time due to the pandemic but are the FFP rules changing?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/anytime-football.com/european-football-leagues/uefa-set-to-scrap-financial-fair-play-ffp-how-it-could-affect-european-clubs/%3Famp

56 minutes ago, charlierc said:

It's why sportswashing is that effective, and that even though it exists in other sports, I guess as this is the most popular league in the world's most popular sport that it's going attract people that want to invest for those purposes. I'm a big fan of Formula 1 and I know that has a big reputation of accepting money from whomever, but beyond F1 fans asking "Is this OK?", it doesn't seem to get the same mainstream prominence in the same way football does.

Formula one is nowhere near as high profile in the UK, nor are the teams rooted in the community like the football clubs are

26 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I do suspect that Newcastle fans are being more supportive of it, than if there hadn't been Ashley. If it was coming in the aftermath of Shepherd/Hall (who were also corrupt and shitty), I think there'd have been a little bit more pushback from the fans. Not much, but I think the Saudis can get away with it more easily at Newcastle, because of the last 14 years of hopelessness at the club.

I think Newcastle fans are using Ashley to try and justify something deep down they know isn't right.

27 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think Newcastle fans are using Ashley to try and justify something deep down they know isn't right.

Whilst I agree, I do think there is a psychological element that has made it easier for the Saudis to gain support at Newcastle than could have happened at another club.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle-united-takeover-fans-moral-dilemma-mike-ashley-saudi-arabia-1237404

I think this puts it well.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I will watch the world cup. However if Wales qualified (unlikely) and withdrew on moral reasons I would support their decision.

I don't think it's a true comparison. The football club is rooted in the community, the world cup isn't.

So you will watch and enjoy something that has come together via modern slavery. How disgusting of you, you should be standing up against it as a football fan!

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/qatar-world-cup-ugly-side-beautiful-game?utm_source=google&utm_medium=grant&utm_campaign=AWA_REG_GEN_qatar&utm_content=qatar human rights world cup

See how easy it is?

Edited by WS_Jack_III

18 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

So you will watch and enjoy something that has come together via modern slavery. How disgusting of you, you should be standing up against it as a football fan!

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/qatar-world-cup-ugly-side-beautiful-game?utm_source=google&utm_medium=grant&utm_campaign=AWA_REG_GEN_qatar&utm_content=qatar human rights world cup

See how easy it is?

I would support anyone who took this stance, my imperfection means it's not one I would take. I would however boycott Wrexham games if the Saudis took us over, due to the fact i feel the club represents the community and wouldn't want this association.

I will use Facebook and watch toy story 5 if it comes out. Maybe that's inconsistent or hypocritical, different people will make their stand in different ways. Let's face it most football fans are hypocrites. If the same people were taking over Sunderland, most Newcastle fans would feel very strongly about human rights abuses.

18 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I would support anyone who took this stance, my imperfection means it's not one I would take. I would however boycott Wrexham games if the Saudis took us over, due to the fact i feel the club represents the community and wouldn't want this association.

I will use Facebook and watch toy story 5 if it comes out. Maybe that's inconsistent or hypocritical, different people will make their stand in different ways. Let's face it most football fans are hypocrites. If the same people were taking over Sunderland, most Newcastle fans would feel very strongly about human rights abuses.

Or a lot of fans would be genuinely disgusted if they took over Man Utd or Sunderland instead... a lot of people are genuinely disgusted without it being footie banter!

Main difference for me is that the Saudis commit horrific human rights abuse because they hate gay people, women and people who disagree with them. Disney and Facebook do crap things to make money, like most corporations.The moral problems with the Saudis are a LOT more pronounced because they've chosen to murder gay people and force women into servitude.

18 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Main difference for me is that the Saudis commit horrific human rights abuse because they hate gay people, women and people who disagree with them. Disney and Facebook do crap things to make money, like most corporations.The moral problems with the Saudis are a LOT more pronounced because they've chosen to murder gay people and force women into servitude.

You realise that one of the reasons Disney and Facebook have been referenced is because the exact same Saudi company PIF has a stake in both of them?

Also, Walt Disney was a humongous racist, and that company is still trading on both his name and films that showcased that ideology.