Football 2021/2022

jyoung

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

To be fair the entire "human rights" argument is ridiculous. Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool. Owned by Americans paying tax to America. A country who have killed hundreds of thousands (maybe millions?) over the last 2 decades in an illegal war in the middle east and gave birth to global terrorism. 

Tottenham. Owned by Daniel Levy. Paying tax in the UK to a Prime Minister (Blair) who is a war criminal, who used this money to co-start above war. West Ham the same, Norwich, Brenford, Brighton, etc etc

But yeah, Saudis, women, something, head dress, something, capital punishment something something...

Anyone who is sufficiently part of the mega-rich to buy a Prem club is an evil POS. Agreed.

That said, the brutal assassinations, homophobia, misogyny, etc. by the Saudi regime is a step beyond the rest of them. They are doing this for the sake of sportswashing, and everyone knows it.

I dislike the narrative that Newcastle fans, as an entity, are guilty/complicit because of celebrating this, it isn't the responsibility of football and football fans to manage human rights abuses across the world. The monetisation of football is a problem, but the Saudis taking over Newcastle is a symptom of what's wrong in football, not the cause of it.

As I said before, I was boycotting under Ashley and I'll continue to do so, because I'm not going to be hypocritical enough to pretend that they're better than Ashley and more deserving of support just because there'll be greater investment in the club.

Following sports is a little about escapism. I don't know if I'll be able to escape into joy for any success the club gets, because I don't know if I'll be able to separate it from the Saudis' human rights abuses, but I'm definitely not going to begrudge any fan that can get some pleasure from it, fuck knows we've been through enough already.

Also worth saying that I don't believe that this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/08/angry-premier-league-clubs-demand-emergency-meeting-on-newcastle-deal

has anything to do at all with human rights concerns at the other clubs, and entirely to do with them not wanting another team to pull above them in the table.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Also worth saying that I don't believe that this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/08/angry-premier-league-clubs-demand-emergency-meeting-on-newcastle-deal

has anything to do at all with human rights concerns at the other clubs, and entirely to do with them not wanting another team to pull above them in the table.

No chance what so ever that City are united with all the other clubs and against this take over. 

I find all this quite interesting, majority of fans would love the saudis to take over there club. Do people really think the average fan cares about there women persecution or the LGBT rights? Do they fuck.

If it means going for pots, that's all they care about. 

The Saudis are a LOT more publicly problematic than other owners. Not many other owners publicly execute women for asking for equal rights or have organised the torture and murder of a journalist on foreign soil and not had any real blowback

Is being linked to that really worth a few cups?

Edited by zahidf

10 hours ago, thetime said:

I find all this quite interesting, majority of fans would love the saudis to take over there club. Do people really think the average fan cares about there women persecution or the LGBT rights? Do they fuck.

If it means going for pots, that's all they care about. 

Not me I would take Ryan Reynolds and less money over these people.

44 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Not me I would take Ryan Reynolds and less money over these people.

I suppose its easy to say if it doesn't happen. I'm sure there's a few Newcastle fans having a sudden change of heart.

How many english owners in the Premier league now? 

Edited by thetime

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

It makes me think if 95 percent of Newcastle fans support this takeover, what crimes would a mega rich owner have to be involved in, not to have majority support from fans.

Just for balance here is a list from amnesty International of human rights issues from a perticular country.

Right to health.

Excessive use of force.

Freedom of assembly.

Right to life and security of the person.

Rights of refugees, asylum-seekers and migrants. 

Women’s rights.

Rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual,transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people.

Sexual and reproductive rights. 

Torture and other ill-treatment.

Death penalty.

Arbitrary detention.

Unlawful killings of civilians.

International human rights mechanisms and treaties.

Just now, eastynh said:

Just for balance here is a list from amnesty International of human rights issues from a perticular country.

Right to health.

Excessive use of force.

Freedom of assembly.

Women’s rights.

Death penalty.

Arbitrary detention.

Particular country.

10 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Right to health.

Excessive use of force.

Freedom of assembly.

Women’s rights.

Death penalty.

Arbitrary detention.

Thats not the question I asked. The question I asked is what it would take for fans to not support a takeover from a mega rich owner?

22 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Thats not the question I asked. The question I asked is what it would take for fans to not support a takeover from a mega rich owner?

I thought this thread was about football, not about politics. 

Do you purchase anything from the list I posted above regarding companies PIF have stakes in, or use Facebook?If you do, then you can answer your own question.

Edited by eastynh

10 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I thought this thread was about football, not about politics. 

How is asking what would it take for football fans to not accept cash from mega rich owners trying to take over their football club not about football?

My guess is you may need to see a video of the owner chopping someone's head off or abusing children before you could get majority opposition