Football 2021/2022

jyoung

11 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It's mad, you now have multi millionaires owning clubs in league 2 and the national league.

Wrexham being brought by Hollywood actors was perhaps the most batshit example of this - though I will likely watch the documentary they say they're making, particularly as I like both Reynolds and McElhenney - but yeah. It's becoming an arms race down there and before long it's going to require ever wealthier and wealthier people buying in. Maybe even people that could've afforded to buy Premier League teams in 2000 now having to go to the National League to get something, which is kinda mad.

8 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Wrexham being brought by Hollywood actors was perhaps the most batshit example of this - though I will likely watch the documentary they say they're making, particularly as I like both Reynolds and McElhenney - but yeah. It's becoming an arms race down there and before long it's going to require ever wealthier and wealthier people buying in. Maybe even people that could've afforded to buy Premier League teams in 2000 now having to go to the National League to get something, which is kinda mad.

The funny thing is even with the money we are just as bad as we were before. Maybe some teams are just destined for failure! To be honest national league is not the best league to invest due to only 2 promotion places which means the top 10 in the league are all better than many in league 2. If you want instant success league 2 much better option with 4 promotion slots.

Will be interesting who Newcastle can entice to Newcastle to get the ball rolling, North East isn't the most attractive place for the superstars.

Whilst Chelsea were quite successful at the time before roman, plus they had the glamour of London. Man City whilst didn't have the glamour, there players thought they were going to united initially.

Edited by thetime

11 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The funny thing is even with the money we are just as bad as we were before. Maybe some teams are just destined for failure! To be honest national league is not the best league to invest due to only 2 promotion places which means the top 10 in the league are all better than many in league 2. If you want instant success league 2 much better option with 4 promotion slots.

Once you finally get out of the National League it will be plain sailing to League One, usually seems to be the case. 

28 minutes ago, thetime said:

Will be interesting who Newcastle can entice to Newcastle to get the ball rolling, North East isn't the most attractive place for the superstars.

Whilst Chelsea were quite successful at the time before roman, plus they had the glamour of London. Man City whilst didn't have the glamour, there players thought they were going to united initially.

Financial fair play was introduced 2011. City won the league for the first time 2011/12 so both City and Chelsea had already bridged the gap before the rules came in. Its definitely harder now and Newcastle won't be able to make the same promises of instant success which may make attracting top players more difficult.

They've already started dampening fans expectations saying it will be evolution rather than revolution because what City and Chelsea did isn't allowed anymore.

Edited by lost

59 minutes ago, lost said:

Financial fair play was introduced 2011. City won the league for the first time 2011/12 so both City and Chelsea had already bridged the gap before the rules came in. Its definitely harder now and Newcastle won't be able to make the same promises of instant success which may make attracting top players more difficult.

They've already started dampening fans expectations saying it will be evolution rather than revolution because what City and Chelsea did isn't allowed anymore.

Is there FFP? Has it worked? Personally don't agree with it, who's more beneficial for the clubs citys ones or man united owners? 

Newcastle tick all the boxes for these type of owners. It will certainly be interesting as those with the most money usually win the big trophies.

10 minutes ago, thetime said:

Is there FFP? Has it worked? Personally don't agree with it, who's more beneficial for the clubs citys ones or man united owners? 

Well look at Everton £1.7m on Gray this window and that's it. They have made it clear its due to FFP which is being tightened next year and as Usmanov is richer than Abramovich I don't see any reason to disagree.

Everton are saddled with the Sigurdsson, Iwobi, Tosun, Gbamin spending and have now hit their limit. If Newcastle go out and buy 4 or 5 Joelintons for £40m+ they will be in exactly the same situation. They are going to need a 80 - 90% success rate in their first 3 transfers windows to break into even the euro spots and I'm not sure how common that is.

1 hour ago, rock the clock said:

surely conte wouldn't go there now/yet.... think someone like graham potter seems a smart choice to build something up for a few years.

There going to go with a big name, Gerrard ticks every box I would of thought. I can't think of any of the current top managers that would go to Newcastle. 

None of Klopp, pep, mancini, Deschamps, conte, zidane, OLE, Jose. Its not like Newcastle can hang a bundle of cash in front of them and they will take it. 

22 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Just a small list of companies the PIF has a stake in:

Uber
GE
Lockheed Martin
Live Nation
Boeing
Facebook
Citigroup
Disney
BP

How many of you human rights activists are boycotting all these companies??

Well now you're making me feel bad about buying that F-35

1 hour ago, thetime said:

There going to go with a big name, Gerrard ticks every box I would of thought. I can't think of any of the current top managers that would go to Newcastle. 

None of Klopp, pep, mancini, Deschamps, conte, zidane, OLE, Jose. Its not like Newcastle can hang a bundle of cash in front of them and they will take it. 

yep... didn't think of gerrard but i think that could be difficult cause he would jump ship for 'pool if they came calling. 

32 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Just a small list of companies the PIF has a stake in:

Uber
GE
Lockheed Martin
Live Nation
Boeing
Facebook
Citigroup
Disney
BP

How many of you human rights activists are boycotting all these companies??

To be fair the entire "human rights" argument is ridiculous. Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool. Owned by Americans paying tax to America. A country who have killed hundreds of thousands (maybe millions?) over the last 2 decades in an illegal war in the middle east and gave birth to global terrorism. 

Tottenham. Owned by Daniel Levy. Paying tax in the UK to a Prime Minister (Blair) who is a war criminal, who used this money to co-start above war. West Ham the same, Norwich, Brenford, Brighton, etc etc

But yeah, Saudis, women, something, head dress, something, capital punishment something something...

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, The Nal said:

To be fair the entire "human rights" argument is ridiculous. Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool. Owned by Americans paying tax to America. A country who have killed hundreds of thousands (maybe millions?) over the last 2 decades in an illegal war in the middle east and gave birth to global terrorism. 

Tottenham. Owned by Daniel Levy. Paying tax in the UK to a Prime Minister (Blair) who is a war criminal, who used this money to co-start above war. West Ham the same, Norwich, Brenford, Brighton, etc etc

But yeah, Saudis, women, something, head dress, something, capital punishment something something...

i get where you're coming from and i'm not really bothered about this as i don't think it's something we haven't seen before... but i do think there is a difference between a billionaire/multimillionaire paying tax to a government and an actual government or high ranking politician