Football 2021/2022

jyoung

Yes the new owners are dodgy af (spoiler alert, anyone with money is to differing degrees)

But you can't point the finger like you are. The government deals with these people, they invest or own lots of things that you all use or enjoy in your lives.

I'm just buzzing that Ashley is about to f*ck off, closely followed by useless Bruce.

19 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

But you can't point the finger like you are.

I can't see anyone pointing fingers except the Newcastle fan and I think he's well in his rights to stop supporting the club if he has an issue.

Most people accept this is just the way football is now. The house of Saud is basically a criminal family that have taken over a country. Very similar to Putin and his oligarchs (Usmanov, Abramovich) have done to Russia. Football is now at a stage where people who effectively control entire countries or sectors in entire countries have the money to potentially run a successful club.

17 minutes ago, lost said:

I can't see anyone pointing fingers except the Newcastle fan and I think he's well in his rights to stop supporting the club if he has an issue.

Most people accept this is just the way football is now. The house of Saud is basically a criminal family that have taken over a country. Very similar to Putin and his oligarchs (Usmanov, Abramovich) have done to Russia. Football is now at a stage where people who effectively control entire countries or sectors in entire countries have the money to potentially run a successful club.

I will happily point fingers. I think everyone will have a line what they are willing to accept, I just can't believe anyone can draw a line which puts the Saudis on the right side. If they took over Wrexham, I would refuse to go to games out of principle. Then again I would be ecstatic just to get to league 1!

21 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I will happily point fingers. I think everyone will have a line what they are willing to accept, I just can't believe anyone can draw a line which puts the Saudis on the right side. If they took over Wrexham, I would refuse to go to games out of principle. Then again I would be ecstatic just to get to league 1!

That's the thing about football. It turns grown men into idiots. I can also see the argument though if governments don't care why should we?

We know the states have troops in Saudi Arabia because they see propping up these horrible people as the lesser evil vs $200 - $300 a barrel of oil. That includes everything that came from and after Osama Bin Laden because he didn't want foreign troops on Muslim land, also the export of Wahhabism which seems to be knocking back multiple countries when you see pictures of girls in mini skirts in Iran in the 60's and people falling out of nightclubs in Pakistan in the 70's.

We'll be stuck like this until who ever fixes the global warming problem will also fix the middle eastern problem as a by-product. Hopefully then western countries can start to have a few more morals.

Edited by lost

52 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I hope you don't indulge in Disney, F1, Uber, WWE or Boxing then, going further than Saudi's, the Chinese aren't the greatest and they have money in everything, most films released now have China money, so I'm guessing you don't watch any films either.

Colonel Gaddafi and Saddam Hussein should of sunk some of their billions into a football club. If there'd been a few irate supporters pissed that their clubs had fallen at the same time as their regime we might of left them alone.

Ho hum.... another club elevated way above its actual level of sporting ability by foreign billionaires (see also: Chelsea, Man City). Another club selling its soul in exchange for massive chunks of oil/petrol money (see also: Man City, Chelsea). I'm sure Newcastle fans are delighted, I'm sure their "long wait" for a trophy will finally end soon and they'll start rolling in shiny baubles, it's all artificial of course... But is it worth it? When Mbappe crosses for Haaland to score the title winning goal it won't be Newcastle United FC of the last 150 years, it'll be something different. A soulless cash cow bloated beyond all recognition, identity gone and replaced with mercenaries who yesterday wouldn't have given the tiniest shite about North East England, but now that there's £400k a week on the table they're all over.

I asked last night what the fucking point was anymore, what actual hope is there for the 80 or so clubs without billions to spunk? Our existence fluctates between being too good for the Championship (a league we comfortably piss every two years) and being not good enough for the Premier League, which we cannot afford to be without for more than a year or two. It's no existence.

Football is eating itself and I genuinely hope it all collapses.

43 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I hope you don't indulge in Disney, F1, Uber, WWE or Boxing then, going further than Saudi's, the Chinese aren't the greatest and they have money in everything, most films released now have China money, so I'm guessing you don't watch any films either.

Not recently, but out of lack of interest more than principles! My view is a football club represents so much more than all these others organisation. It's a representation of the community, it's history and tradition. Maybe old fashioned view, but I'm sticking to it.

What it comes down to is that Newcastle fans can turn a blind eye to things like Khadhoggi assassination if it means they get a better centre forward. If that's what top level football is about, I would rather stay in the lower league. Our owner may have killed hundreds of people, but at least it's only in films!

58 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I don't. I steal the marvel films since the Disney take over, i pay more to use local taxis over supporting uber, I've bought one thing online on the last 2 years, and only 4 things not from independent shops (exc groceries). 

I boycotted funding NUFC under Ashley, and I'll continue to do so under the Saudis. 

If someone has drawn a line saying they won't support the club under Ashley, i think they should continue that boycott. If they haven't, then i wouldn't particularly expect them to start to. 

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Ho hum.... another club elevated way above its actual level of sporting ability by foreign billionaires (see also: Chelsea, Man City). Another club selling its soul in exchange for massive chunks of oil/petrol money (see also: Man City, Chelsea). I'm sure Newcastle fans are delighted, I'm sure their "long wait" for a trophy will finally end soon and they'll start rolling in shiny baubles, it's all artificial of course... But is it worth it? When Mbappe crosses for Haaland to score the title winning goal it won't be Newcastle United FC of the last 150 years, it'll be something different. A soulless cash cow bloated beyond all recognition, identity gone and replaced with mercenaries who yesterday wouldn't have given the tiniest shite about North East England, but now that there's £400k a week on the table they're all over.

I asked last night what the fucking point was anymore, what actual hope is there for the 80 or so clubs without billions to spunk? Our existence fluctates between being too good for the Championship (a league we comfortably piss every two years) and being not good enough for the Premier League, which we cannot afford to be without for more than a year or two. It's no existence.

Football is eating itself and I genuinely hope it all collapses.

Sporting ability is transient. No club, regardless of their history, has any more or less right to success. They also don't have any more or less right to investment, fuck the closed shop that Man U and Liverpool were trying to create. 

I'd be quite happy if another club with some vague history in the game had a big surge of investment and broke into "the big 6". Everton look like they're not going to. I can't get excited about this because of the sportswashing at my own club, but it is the nature of football. 

2 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'd be quite happy if another club with some vague history in the game had a big surge of investment and broke into "the big 6". Everton look like they're not going to. I can't get excited about this because of the sportswashing at my own club, but it is the nature of football. 

I was more excited when champions league qualification happened under Moyes when we were owned by Kenwright who was worth around £3.5m from staging west end plays.

At the moment I'm very meh and not too bothered we are are shifting the high earners if the new FFP rules are water tight. The big worry is if the next lot of money coming in makes owners like ours give up and then leave the club saddled with debt. I'd rather the club was on sound financial footing and wait for everything to blow up.

2 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Yes the new owners are dodgy af (spoiler alert, anyone with money is to differing degrees)

But you can't point the finger like you are. The government deals with these people, they invest or own lots of things that you all use or enjoy in your lives.

I'm just buzzing that Ashley is about to f*ck off, closely followed by useless Bruce.

More money doesnt mean thell be better at running the footy than Ashley.

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

More money doesnt mean thell be better at running the footy than Ashley.

No it doesn't but quite honestly, it'd be difficult for them to be worse than him, we've been a zombie club for years now.

Already rumours thay Bruce will be on his way, thank f*ck for that.

10 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

No it doesn't but quite honestly, it'd be difficult for them to be worse than him, we've been a zombie club for years now.

Zombie club zombie owners. 

11 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Ashley may not be great at running a club, although there have been way way worse. He also comes across as a complete dick. That doesn't mean far worse people should get a free pass.

Is the issue with Ashley purely money? Like its not the blokes fault he's in the high street retail business when its been destroyed by the internet. i guess the Newcastle fans would be happy to swap Ashley for Bezos?

Edited by lost

1 hour ago, lost said:

Is the issue with Ashley purely money? Like its not the blokes fault he's in the high street retail business when its been destroyed by the internet. i guess the Newcastle fans would be happy to swap Ashley for Bezos?

This is why NUFC fans get frustrated with other fans commenting.

Here's a list of why we hate MA:

F*cked KK about (KK won a tribunal against the club)

Joe Kinnear as manager and DOF.

Two relegations from the PL (never happened before)

Sports Direct advertising for next to no benefit for the club (Sports Direct Arena, anyone remember that?)

Commercial revenue has dwindled.

Pardew's 8 year contract.

Released Jonas Gutierrez via text after he had beaten cancer and scored a goal to keep the club in the PL on the last day of the season.

Let Rafa Benitez slip through his fingers because Rafa actually wanted to progress the club.

The teams overall performance declined massively when compared to the previous 14 years.

Lack of communication with the fans.

The stadium is also starting to look a little worse for wear as nothing has been done about it during his ownership.

Training facilities years behind the rest of the league (wheelie bins used for ice baths)

For someone who hasn't liked to spend money on transfers and wants to develop young players to sell on for high value, he hasn't placed much stock in his youth system either.

4 minutes ago, thetime said:

Let's be honest if there's one club to monumentally fuck this up, it's Newcastle United.

haha so true

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Surely there is a middie ground where you can hate Ashley and also hate the Saudi regime?

of course, I don't love it by the way.