Football 2021/2022

jyoung

10 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Yet your team is funded off the profits made from the exploitation of human rights. 

Doesn’t that make you feel a little sick?

Honestly as a Newcastle fan I'm aware this is something that will be asked about us a lot if the Saudi takeover ever happens. Though emphasis on the ever given how stuck it's got with endless tribunals, arbitration talks, deferring several hearings about it to January, tortured attempts to find other buyers and the fact that we've made a dreadful start under a manager who is trying his best to alienate or annoy everyone and whose record at a mediocre spell with Sunderland in 2009-11 is practically identical.

The Liverpool v City game was good yesterday. Those two and Chelsea promises to be quite a good title fight (Man Utd should be there but they seem capable of dropping points more often than the other 3).

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Apparently quite a few footballers are refusing to get vaccinated.

I'm pretty sure I saw that only 7 Premier League clubs have over 50% of players fully vaccinated, which doesn't even seem like that a high of a bar to clear

12 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Are you calling for compulsory vaccination? I have to say I'm on the fence about this.

They've done it in a few of the US sports. I think if you're an international footballer going to different countries, the clubs should be in a position  to insist on it 

I know someone involved with a local club and apparently the Christian Eriksen had the jab conspiracy pushed by Lobos Motl is deep rooted in a lot of clubs.

Sweden have just banned the moderna shot in under 30's due to the heart issues and so I can't see take up improving any time soon.

19 minutes ago, zahidf said:

They've done it in a few of the US sports. I think if you're an international footballer going to different countries, the clubs should be in a position  to insist on it 

Nobody should be forced to have any vaccine, it's personal choice.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Isn't that indoor sports only? I am personally wary about giving the government that much power.

In the US, its more that 6 months ago loads of players spread it around and got teams exposed and games shut down without any time to play them again.

This season, they're basically saying if you're not vaxxed, you're not playing to prevent that happening again to the same extent.

In a contact game link football, I do think the unvaxxed are putting their team mates and opposing teams at risk by not getting vaxxed. If the FA could legally put that rule in place, I'd support it.

14 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

What about the big news of the evening 

Newcastle on the brink of becoming one of the big boys. 

I wonder how easy it would be for them to, say, win the prem in the next 5 years. Feels like a lot tougher of a breakthrough to make than when City or Chelsea got their big investments. 

Sounds like there are new financial fair play rules coming in at the end of the year after city smashed the old ones. A salary cap based on revenue is being mentioned which I guess will make it much more difficult to sign the top players.

Everton have been shifting their top earners James Rodriguez and Bernard, I think there was 370k a week between the two of them.

Edited by lost

34 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

What about the big news of the evening 

Newcastle on the brink of becoming one of the big boys. 

I wonder how easy it would be for them to, say, win the prem in the next 5 years. Feels like a lot tougher of a breakthrough to make than when City or Chelsea got their big investments. 

It's that time of year.

30 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

So in terms of Newcastle does killing people not matter as long as they invest more money than Ashley?

To most fans? I imagine so, i can't think most people will give a shit. Same as easty doesn't, and same as his point about people buying sweat shop clothing. 

On the assumption it happens, I'll personally continue to not financially support the club under the new regime. But i boycott a list of companies that's well over 100. I'm incredibly emotionally invested in making sure my own consumer habits are as ethical as possible. 

I’ve always said if you see yourself as a moral person football probably isn’t the sport for you. On one hand you have a cartel of clubs trying to lock up all the trophies for themselves and on the other the only way to break the cartel seems to be to get an owner who have made their money by shady means.

31 minutes ago, lost said:

I’ve always said if you see yourself as a moral person football probably isn’t the sport for you. On one hand you have a cartel of clubs trying to lock up all the trophies for themselves and on the other the only way to break the cartel seems to be to get an owner who have made their money by shady means.

It's impossible to be rich enough to own a vaguely major football club without shady means. Wealth hoarding to that degree is in itself immoral.

41 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

It's impossible to be rich enough to own a vaguely major football club without shady means. Wealth hoarding to that degree is in itself immoral.

And equally the football club is a great way of protecting the rest of your wealth. If a government seizes all your assets and its only invested in say London property nobody gives a shit. If some of it is invested in a football club and the governments actions cause that club to become less successful that government has potentially lost hundreds of thousands of voters.

34 minutes ago, lost said:

And equally the football club is a great way of protecting the rest of your wealth. If a government seizes all your assets and its only invested in say London property nobody gives a shit. If some of it is invested in a football club and the governments actions cause that club to become less successful that government has potentially lost hundreds of thousands of voters.

I think most Newcastle fans would take the club lingering in the Championship for a decade in exchange for the government seizing the club from Ashley. But that's because it's become a personal resentment for a lot of fans, as opposed to just bitterness over lack of success.

Also, I think a lot of fans of teams outside the big boys realise there's little emotional difference to the experience of being middling in the Prem or the Championship, apart from how often you get to watch your team get thrashed by the big boys on Sky.