Football 2021/2022

jyoung

12 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Kane getting very easy ride from the media for his no show, other players would get very different treatment.

It’s a pretty good way to damage your reputation. I think most people assumed he’d be something of a professional about it. No similar movements from Grealish from what I can see.

57 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

It’s a pretty good way to damage your reputation. I think most people assumed he’d be something of a professional about it. No similar movements from Grealish from what I can see.

It seems very out of character for someone like Kane to do it in the first place - I imagine he'll be using his image as England's Euro darling to his advantage here knowing the press won't go in too hard on him, the media seems to be more interested in the fact that it could be a record-breaking transfer if it happens

Not a fan of players playing the victim card in situations like this. Maybe Kane shouldn’t have signed a mega money 6 year contract back in 2018 - if he would have signed a standard 4 year contract instead that would be running out next summer, then this deal would have been finalised weeks ago.
Players can’t have the best of both worlds in regards to contracts - whether there is a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ or not. 

Edited by st dan

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Not a fan of players playing the victim card in situations like this. Maybe Kane shouldn’t have signed a mega money 6 year contract back in 2018 - if he would have signed a standard 4 year contract instead that would be running out next summer, then this deal would have been finalised weeks ago.
Players can’t have the best of both worlds in regards to contracts - whether there is a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ or not. 

It's almost like contracts are losing their importance. Grealish only signed his current bumper deal last September, now Villa are rumoured to be offering him another improved one to stop him leaving again. If you know you want to leave then refuse to sign a new contract. All about chasing the money as it always is

Also, if Haaland stays at Dortmund for one final season, surely next summer he will be the most in demand player for years. A 68m release clause would surely see bids from City, United, Chelsea, Real, Barca, PSG, maybe Liverpool? The interesting part is the wages would surely be huge. Real couldn't offer Varane a bigger contract, Barca are at their limit, if City do sign Kane would they be in for Haaland? Can Liverpool even afford it? 

17 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

It's almost like contracts are losing their importance. Grealish only signed his current bumper deal last September, now Villa are rumoured to be offering him another improved one to stop him leaving again. If you know you want to leave then refuse to sign a new contract. All about chasing the money as it always is

Yep, wonder if the Ronaldo contact before he left for Madrid was a catalyst for this. Basically it gives the selling club a much larger transfer fee, and it’s treated almost like a parting gift to the selling club from the player for allowing the transfer. But it can definitely backfire. 

12 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Also, if Haaland stays at Dortmund for one final season, surely next summer he will be the most in demand player for years. A 68m release clause would surely see bids from City, United, Chelsea, Real, Barca, PSG, maybe Liverpool? The interesting part is the wages would surely be huge. Real couldn't offer Varane a bigger contract, Barca are at their limit, if City do sign Kane would they be in for Haaland? Can Liverpool even afford it? 

Would be interesting if City didn't go all in for Kane and waited for Haaland instead, it's not like they'll struggle to compete in the Premier League this season without signing a striker this summer. Over time Haaland would be much the better signing

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Yep, wonder if the Ronaldo contact before he left for Madrid was a catalyst for this. Basically it gives the selling club a much larger transfer fee, and it’s treated almost like a parting gift to the selling club from the player for allowing the transfer. But it can definitely backfire. 

Yeah you can kinda understand Grealish signing his contract and getting the max transfer fee from City. If they sign him they might move Sterling into the middle and play Grealish on the left. Opens up the possibility of my other response above maybe?

3 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Would be interesting if City didn't go all in for Kane and waited for Haaland instead, it's not like they'll struggle to compete in the Premier League this season without signing a striker this summer. Over time Haaland would be much the better signing

I think that would be the case if you could only sign one. You’d likely get 10 good years out of Haaland. With Kane’s injury record you’ll get around 5.

But I don’t think it’s an either/ or situation for City.

22 minutes ago, jyoung said:

If he stays till next year, which looks likely now, it would feel very similar to the Hazard situation in Lille, where it's all down to where the player wants to go to (and salary of course). I can see him going to Real, especially if City get Kane, but they will desperately need to sort their finances out.

4 minutes ago, Gromite said:

If he stays till next year, which looks likely now, it would feel very similar to the Hazard situation in Lille, where it's all down to where the player wants to go to (and salary of course). I can see him going to Real, especially if City get Kane, but they will desperately need to sort their finances out.

Hazard ❤️ 

"I am signing for the Champions League winner"

7 minutes ago, Gromite said:

With Mbappe almost certain to be joining Madrid next season, you’ve got to wonder if it would work having the best two players in the world (potentially) at the same club. Would there be an ego clash? Would they compliment each other’s game? Then there is also the financial side of paying them both enormous wages - I personally can’t see past the Premier League for Haaland’s next club. 

Edited by st dan

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

With Mbappe almost certain to be joining Madrid next season, you’ve got to wonder if it would work having the best two players in the world (potentially) at the same club. Would there be an ego clash? Would they compliment each other’s game? Then there is also the financial side of paying them both enormous wages - I personally can’t see past the Premier League for Haaland’s next club. 

That's a very good point, I forgot about that, surely they won't be able to afford both. Does seem like a forgone conclusion that Mbappe's going to Madrid.

Edited by Gromite

7 minutes ago, Gromite said:

That's a very good point, I forgot about that, surely they won't be able to afford both. Does seem like a forgone conclusion that Mbappe's going to Madrid.

Yeah, looks like Mbappe is going to screw PSG over and run his contract down to join Madrid on a free next summer. Which means I guess they could afford Haaland’s buyout clause too if they wanted to start the rebuild of the Galácticos, but I just don’t see either of them not wanting to be top dog. 

Edited by st dan

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Yeah, looks like Mbappe is going to screw PSG over and run his contract down to join Madrid on a free next summer. Which means I guess they could afford Haaland’s buyout clause too if they wanted to start the rebuild of the Galácticos, but I just don’t see either of them not wanting to be top dog. 

Haaland must have grown up a little bit in England so might fancy some familiar surroundings?