Football 2021/2022

jyoung

Everyone’s got pre season nerves right now and wondering if the new signings will work in the teams. 

However things could be a lot worse, you could be a Derby County fan, they aren’t allowed to make new signings and then you have their fantastic “coach” doing wonders in their training sessions with their already limited squad. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Everyone’s got pre season nerves right now and wondering if the new signings will work in the teams. 

However things could be a lot worse, you could be a Derby County fan, they aren’t allowed to make new signings and then you have their fantastic “coach” doing wonders in their training sessions with their already limited squad. 

He has some other issues at the moment as well, doesn’t he?

12 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Palace are doing some incredible business, Olise, Andersen, Guehin and now Gallagher, a decent striker and they’re definitely a force

I think they’ve screwed up massively. Starting a new season with almost a brand new squad and manager is surely a recipe for disaster. Can’t see anything past bottom 5 for them. 

I quite fancy Villa to be the surprise package this year. I thought Buendia was fantastic for Norwich when they were in the prem last and if they sell Grealish and invest the money well while everyone else is skint they could make that step up.

3 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

I think they’ve screwed up massively. Starting a new season with almost a brand new squad and manager is surely a recipe for disaster. Can’t see anything past bottom 5 for them. 

It's funny how people can read a situation so different, I was about to post pretty much identical to you.

A lot of talk about this being a great opportunity to revamp the squad, to me it looks like terrible planning. The type of players they are bringing in looks to me like those you supplement a squad not try and build around. I 

I agree bottom 5 and hope the 3 promoted teams are weak enough that you get away with it.

11 hours ago, lost said:

I quite fancy Villa to be the surprise package this year. I thought Buendia was fantastic for Norwich when they were in the prem last and if they sell Grealish and invest the money well while everyone else is skint they could make that step up.

Leon Bailey too! Another decent signing (on paper).

Even for city the prices quoted for both Grealish and Kane seems a big ask after the collapse in revenues last year. I can't see Levy backing down and so this one could get messy.

Can they really sign Kane and Grealish in the same window? If they have to prioritise one of the two then surely Kane is the one.  
Starting to wonder if the Grealish talk was to break the impasse with a potential Kane deal - if it was, then it’s certainly worked with what we’ve seen from Kane today and his attempts for force a move. 

Edited by st dan

3 minutes ago, st dan said:

Can they really sign Kane and Grealish in the same window? If they have to prioritise one of the two then surely Kane is the one.  

I'd agree with this. I could be wrong but Villa seem to be the only club splashing the cash. They've smashed their transfer record twice now and apparently just made an offer for Ward-Prowse. They could of come into this transfer window in a better position than the other mid table clubs but I've suspected they know they are going to have the Grealish money.

13 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Spurs first game of the season is at home to City next weekend.

All eyes on Kane.

Spurs have basically said he won’t be playing first match as “he needs time to recover from the Euros”- only way he’s involved is in sky blue. 

Pretty resigned to it. Poch’s team has needed tearing down and rebuilding from scratch for about 2 years now. Better to do it quickly (frankly would have been better to do it 6 weeks ago when Sterling would’ve been part of the equation) but given it’s Levy it’ll go down to deadline day. But he will go.

11 hours ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Spurs have basically said he won’t be playing first match as “he needs time to recover from the Euros”- only way he’s involved is in sky blue. 

Pretty resigned to it. Poch’s team has needed tearing down and rebuilding from scratch for about 2 years now. Better to do it quickly (frankly would have been better to do it 6 weeks ago when Sterling would’ve been part of the equation) but given it’s Levy it’ll go down to deadline day. But he will go.

I can understand kane and grealish going to city, more cash and trophies to be won.

Why would sterling go to spurs? That's never going to happen.

5 hours ago, thetime said:

I can understand kane and grealish going to city, more cash and trophies to be won.

Why would sterling go to spurs? That's never going to happen.

It was an option as part of the initial bid (pre-Euros) where Sterling was out of form for City. Not going to happen now with the Euros that Sterling had.  

24 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

It was an option as part of the initial bid (pre-Euros) where Sterling was out of form for City. Not going to happen now with the Euros that Sterling had.  

It was never an option. City have been trying to get Sterling to sign a new deal, from before the Euros.