Football 2021/2022

jyoung

Shocked about the rumours about Henderson and the contract impasse with FSG but it doesn't surprise me. A lead person in the players rebelling against the Super League - rightly so - it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Still not as shocking as the Everton news around Gylfi Siggurdson though!!!

7 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Shocked about the rumours about Henderson and the contract impasse with FSG but it doesn't surprise me. A lead person in the players rebelling against the Super League - rightly so - it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Still not as shocking as the Everton news around Gylfi Siggurdson though!!!

Is the Gylfi stuff true? I thought it was a Twitter rumour…

2 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Is the Gylfi stuff true? I thought it was a Twitter rumour…

19 minutes ago, thetime said:

He's not even been charged, let alone a trial.

I've no idea, I thought it was a Twitter rumour over the weekend until the news about an arrest last night. Regardless, although innocent until proven otherwise, it is going to tarnish his name now. He has definitely been suspended by Everton though!

Liverpool playing two friendlies on successive days at Anfield to a 75% crowd. I don't get what difference 75% makes to a 100% though in all honesty. 

On the transfer front, United potentially bringing in Varane and Sancho is good business!

Yh Gylfi stuff is awful, being a Reading fan it’s a bit tough for us to as we regard him so highly 

Hes also got his name on our anniversary shirt as he’s part of the Hall of Fame, not sure how that will play out if he’s found guilty

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

On a football related matter Everton transfer business looks like that of a team just happy to survive in the premiership.

Yeah although they are solid enough signings as squad players that cost almost nothing combined, they don’t really make much sense following the very divisive appointment of Rafa. They really seem to be pissing off the fans from every angle at the moment. 

Edited by st dan

Its probably the new stadium. Arsenal and Spurs went through something similar though I guess its amplified by covid. 

Saying that yes after last summer this year feels like being constantly kicked in the balls.

21 hours ago, st dan said:

Yeah although they are solid enough signings as squad players that cost almost nothing combined, they don’t really make much sense following the very divisive appointment of Rafa. They really seem to be pissing off the fans from every angle at the moment. 

I was saying to my evertonian mates it is very much how it was when Rafa was at LFC, where he filled the squad with bodies. For every Alonso (or Torres etc.), there was a Josemi, Voronin and Degan.

4 hours ago, rock the clock said:

UTD having quite the window. Interested to see what fans on here expect of them this coming season?

They've got to challenge for the title, no excuses. They are spending on quality, although I still think trippier would be a better option to bissaka.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

They've got to challenge for the title, no excuses. They are spending on quality, although I still think trippier would be a better option to bissaka.

Backline even with AWB is top notch on paper. 

Would be mad if you actually won something with Ole. I have to say I really like the bloke and even tho I think you could do much better, he's proved a lot of people wrong and seems to be building a really well balanced side. 

36 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Have to challenge now yep. Cant believe Madrid let Varana go with Ramos already gone. 

I don't profess to know much about Spanish football but are they having financial issues albeit not on the same level as Barca?

As you say it does seem odd.

28 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I don't profess to know much about Spanish football but are they having financial issues albeit not on the same level as Barca?

Last year on his contract and didn't want to renew. Makes sense they want some money for him when they've actually got some decent replacements already.

32 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Yeah I think theyre in financial trouble. 900m ish trouble apparantly. Butting letting both centre backs go. Varane for 42 million! Very odd.

And the rest of the squad - Marcelo, Modric, Benzema, Kroos, Hazard all over 30. Some well over. Theyve a few good young players but nothing approcahing a Real Madrid squad. 

3 minutes ago, Dan R said:

Last year on his contract and didn't want to renew. Makes sense they want some money for him when they've actually got some decent replacements already.

Militao, Alaba and maybe Nacho? think thats it? Serious downgrade. 

Edited by The Nal

3 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

As a Chelsea fan I'm disappointed with the departures of Guehi, Bate and other young players this summer. I don't blame them one bit but I felt that they could have really strong futures for us. 

Likewise it's a shame. Livramento was the one I was most excited about and he looks set to leave too. 

But Cobham is one of the best academies on the planet and ultimately at 18/19 these fellas have got to decide whether they want to take the risk of going into the loan system and hoping it works out (Mount, James) or go and find an easier route into first team PL footy with a smaller club. 

I got myself a ticket for the first game of the season. Gonna be weird if Guehi is starting for palace! 

5 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

As a Chelsea fan I'm disappointed with the departures of Guehi, Bate and other young players this summer. I don't blame them one bit but I felt that they could have really strong futures for us. 

Let's face it, the only reason Mount, Tammy, Reece, Tomori etc got chances is because of the transfer ban and Lamps / Morris coming back in. The academy players aren't going to come through in that same way again. Maybe one or two cases but yeah. I don't know why we let Guehi and Tomori go but they obviously want to play. 

5 hours ago, rock the clock said:

Likewise it's a shame. Livramento was the one I was most excited about and he looks set to leave too. 

But Cobham is one of the best academies on the planet and ultimately at 18/19 these fellas have got to decide whether they want to take the risk of going into the loan system and hoping it works out (Mount, James) or go and find an easier route into first team PL footy with a smaller club. 

I got myself a ticket for the first game of the season. Gonna be weird if Guehi is starting for palace! 

Yea he's supposed to be brilliant, also going to Brighton to compete directly with Lamptey is a bit odd? 

I can completely understand the players wanting to move on to get gametime and make it elsewhere, I just get frustrated when we sell Tomori and Guehi only to buy Kounde.

3 hours ago, jyoung said:

Let's face it, the only reason Mount, Tammy, Reece, Tomori etc got chances is because of the transfer ban and Lamps / Morris coming back in. The academy players aren't going to come through in that same way again. Maybe one or two cases but yeah. I don't know why we let Guehi and Tomori go but they obviously want to play. 

Very true. 

Edited by Kalopsia

Haven't seen much of Kounde, from what I've read he seems like a good fit for the right centre back in Tuchel's back 3 but could easily struggle in the prem with his size. 

Tbh Chelsea really shouldn't be signing players catered to specific roles in systems at this point because it'll likely all be turned on its head with a new coach this time next year.