Little Simz Has Upped Her Game

CaledonianGonzo

Her bow at Tramlines sounds exciting, and a glimpse at things to come from future live shows.

Later on the same stage, Little Simz stakes her claim as a future headliner, with a thrillingly vital set that begins with the rallying cry of  ‘Introvert’ from her forthcoming fourth album ‘Sometimes I Might Be Introvert’ (due in September). Bowled over by a hero’s welcome, she turns to her band. “One second – pinch me,” she says. “Just making sure this is real”.

Shortly afterwards comes ‘Offence’, the opening track from her stellar third album ‘Grey Area’. It’s a set that shows the full kaleidoscopic range of her talent – from the raw ‘’might bang, might not’, from her pandemic-released ‘Drop 6’ EP, to a new track she previews tonight. Over a Jackson 5-influenced chorus and summery beats, unreleased new song ‘Little Q’ evocatively tells the story of her cousin who was stabbed in the chest and left in a coma – it gives an urgent political voice to the statistics of young black men hurt or killed in violent attacks, and talks of the PTSD he suffered afterwards. ‘Daddy weren’t around/No choice now but to be the man of the house,” she raps, “Your talking role models nowhere to be seen/You can’t fathom what I think ‘til you’ve been where I’ve been.’

https://www.nme.com/reviews/tramlines-2021-review-the-streets-little-simz-the-magic-gang-3002656

3 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Looking forward to seeing her at Love Saves the Day in a few weeks, surprised she's not headlining over Mahalia.

I was surprised about that exact thing on the Tramlines lineup. Well, giving her huge slots based on the album that's only coming into view might be putting the cart before the horse, but in the situation I can't believe more people would be excited to see Mahalia, even if Simbi wasn't setting up to unleash a screamer into the top bins.

19 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I was surprised about that exact thing on the Tramlines lineup. Well, giving her huge slots based on the album that's only coming into view might be putting the cart before the horse, but in the situation I can't believe more people would be excited to see Mahalia, even if Simbi wasn't setting up to unleash a screamer into the top bins.

Guess it depends on when it was booked. Next year she'll be getting the rep she deserves. So excited to be seeing her in December in the Albert Hall (Manchester)  because I don't think she'll be playing that sized venue for much longer. 

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, hhunting said:

Amazing show last night. I'm a casual Gorillaz fan and it far exceeded my expectations. Anyone paying to go tonight will be very happy with what they're going to see

I’m the same.  but it was an amazing show. Don’t know if it was just because it was my first live music in ages, everyone’s excitement of being out, or all the great guests they brought out. But it was a very special night. 

20 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I was going to skip the tour due to the Glasgow gig being a Sunday night - but screw it. Not one to miss.

Sunday gigs are only worsted (if that's a word) by Monday gigs but yes it's not one to miss. Worth being tired for a week of work for!

• 3 weeks later...

Now then.....

That APE set was off the chain. 

The new songs sound incredible live, her stage presence has come on leaps and bounds and the band accompanying her were incredible.

A headline performance in the making. 

Get her on WH next year and make sure you see it. 

What a star. 

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Now then.....

The new songs sound incredible live, her stage presence has come on leaps and bounds and the band accompanying her were incredible.

What a star. 

Very excited to see her EOTR next week. Can't wait.

23 hours ago, nikkic said:

Now then.....

What a star. 

Yay so excited to hear this! I already think it's going to be my AOTY