Glastonbury acts that never were

kalifire

The whole grunge / Seattle scene massively underserved, not to mention many great alternative bands of the era (many of whom have done  Reading or Download etc.

• Nirvana
  • Pearl Jam
  • Soundgarden
  • Alice in Chains
  • Stone Tenmple Pilots
  • Mudhoney
  • Screaming trees
  • Faith No More
  • Jane's Addiction
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers

20 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I believe there was one year he said yes on a Friday evening and called up on Monday to say he’d changed his mind. Not sure which.

He also told the festival he would never play.

Michael was at a small event (he was opening an art exhibition for an autism charity) that I was at, where he said at the table that they were hoping the final headliner would be announced that evening (think it was a Monday but not sure). Was the same year Kanye played. However he wouldn't say who except something like 'he's unpreditable, until he's 100% confirmed you can never be sure'.

Anyway, nothing was announced and The Who played.

I know quite a lot of people in the UK don't know the name, and given the way that the profile of the slot has raised in the past ~5-6 years it probably outgrew him, but I'll always be convinced Bob Seger would've been one of the all time great Legends Slots if it had ever happened before he retired a couple years back.

Even if you don't recognise the name, or do but can't name a song, you still know quite a bit of the music due to all the films and TV shows that have used it over the years - including this widely parodied / homaged classic scene:

5 hours ago, maelzoid said:

The whole grunge / Seattle scene massively underserved, not to mention many great alternative bands of the era (many of whom have done  Reading or Download etc.

• Nirvana
  • Pearl Jam
  • Soundgarden
  • Alice in Chains
  • Stone Tenmple Pilots
  • Mudhoney
  • Screaming trees
  • Faith No More
  • Jane's Addiction
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers

Bloody hell. None of them have played? Really?

On 6/13/2021 at 7:16 PM, Ddiamondd said:

Talking Heads would have been a hugely worthy '80s headliner, especially given most of their direct rivals for best act of the decade (New Order, Fela Kuti, Smiths) managed it during the festival's slow transition to modernity.

Can you imagine this or the Stop Making Sense-era road show on the farm? Phwoar. 

Three of the heads have played at the farm. David Byrne in 98 on the jazzworld stage and chris and Tina a few years ago on West holts with Tom Tom Club . Both acts delivered pycho killer. 

Edited by eFestivals

5 hours ago, strummer77 said:

Michael was at a small event (he was opening an art exhibition for an autism charity) that I was at, where he said at the table that they were hoping the final headliner would be announced that evening (think it was a Monday but not sure). Was the same year Kanye played. However he wouldn't say who except something like 'he's unpreditable, until he's 100% confirmed you can never be sure'.

Anyway, nothing was announced and The Who played.

The who were already fixed to headline  over a weekend   a few days before they were announced. I was told about it but discounted it as they had a show in France booked. I posted on here about it at the time

So I heard Prince never said yes to Glastonbury in any certain sense. 

24 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The who were already fixed to headline  over a weekend   a few days before they were announced. I was told about it but discounted it as they had a show in France booked. I posted on here about it at the time

So I heard Prince never said yes to Glastonbury in any certain sense. 

This was some time before the Who got announced. Would have been in late March/early April - closer Foos and Kanye had been confirmed. 

I remember you breaking The Who rumours a few days before it was announced - and people being sceptical because they had a gig in Paris (?) that weekend. I remember it being uncertain for a few weeks before that who would be the third and it wasn't on the poster. Some crazy suggestions were being thrown around.

However this incident was way before then.

Anyway, there's also a blog of the Glastonbury gig from a crew member of "The Who". It's even on their official website. It states they were a last minute replacement for Prince. It's here - https://www.thewho.com/backstage-blog/28-june-2015-glastonbury-festival-worthy-farm-somerset/

Edited by strummer77

5 hours ago, strummer77 said:

This was some time before the Who got announced. Would have been in late March/early April - closer Foos and Kanye had been confirmed. 

I remember you breaking The Who rumours a few days before it was announced - and people being sceptical because they had a gig in Paris (?) that weekend. I remember it being uncertain for a few weeks before that who would be the third and it wasn't on the poster. Some crazy suggestions were being thrown around.

However this incident was way before then.

Anyway, there's also a blog of the Glastonbury gig from a crew member of "The Who". It's even on their official website. It states they were a last minute replacement for Prince. It's here - https://www.thewho.com/backstage-blog/28-june-2015-glastonbury-festival-worthy-farm-somerset/

That prince was booked was the story. I was getting word from the prince camp And  that was that he never said yes. Im confident that word was reliable because i was able to double check some off if at the Glastonbury end of things.

On 6/13/2021 at 6:28 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

The Stone Roses

Never understood this. They agreed to play in 95, but Squire had a mountain bike accident. Mani, Brown and Squire have all played the festival in different guises. Yet, they apparently dismissed the opportunity due to the finances, when they were on their reunion tour of venues in Glasgow and Manchester.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Never understood this. They agreed to play in 95, but Squire had a mountain bike accident. Mani, Brown and Squire have all played the festival in different guises. Yet, they apparently dismissed the opportunity due to the finances, when they were on their reunion tour of venues in Glasgow and Manchester.

They played V of all places! That really is following the money…

They probably wouldn’t have wanted their set televised either, for obvious reasons.

38 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They probably wouldn’t have wanted their set televised either, for obvious reasons.

Not sure about this. The performance recorded on the Shane Meadows doc is stellar. I never saw them, but everyone I know who did said they were magic. Although I certainly think you get some off-key singing, instrumentally they were on fire.

It really is likely to be the money, although plausibly there could be some beef we don't know about related to the '95 no show.

8 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I went to that V and watched David Guetta press buttons instead. It really was not the place for the Roses.