Bearded Theory 2022

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I agree - that's always my thing.  May have to go and find out whether the Cheese Toastie stall is open.

Cheese toastie is a must find once im set up

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

I'll be at one, shifts providing....

Have they managed to build the firetowers properly this year - lost count of the times I've had a shift on one only to be told it hasn't been built or its not signed off etc.... 🤨

Not up as of this morning at 08;00 

8 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Not up as of this morning at 08;00 

Hmmm. I think one year they had security do the fire towers all day as well, then only at night another year or something, so might not be a position we're doin this year anyway..

3 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I don't think it's happened before.  I was thinking the Woodland bar might be nice - that's where I was picturing it in my head.  Or the pub near the fairground?  I dunno what do others think?

I think it has happened before and it was in The Woodland I would be up for that I am usually there anyway on the Thursday afternoon / evening.

3 hours ago, Pinhead said:

I'll be at one, shifts providing....

Have they managed to build the firetowers properly this year - lost count of the times I've had a shift on one only to be told it hasn't been built or its not signed off etc.... 🤨

Last time out (or it might have been the time before), the Fire Tower in the campsite was replaced by a van with a long pole protruding from it and a 360 camera on top.

Never understood why that's not yet becoming a lot more common at Festivals - it doesn't take any time to build, you can get higher elevation than a steward stood on scaffolding, there's the capability to zoom, and if you had a network of them could have them all monitored centrally by one or two people.

If you really wanted to get fancy with it, you could even add different types of camera - Thermal, Night Vision, etc, though I guess Thermal might introduce privacy issues.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

Last time out (or it might have been the time before), the Fire Tower in the campsite was replaced by a van with a long pole protruding from it and a 360 camera on top.

Never understood why that's not yet becoming a lot more common at Festivals - it doesn't take any time to build, you can get higher elevation than a steward stood on scaffolding, there's the capability to zoom, and if you had a network of them could have them all monitored centrally by one or two people.

If you really wanted to get fancy with it, you could even add different types of camera - Thermal, Night Vision, etc, though I guess Thermal might introduce privacy issues.

Yeah, I guess you also then have to tell the public there's essentially CCTV covering them etc. with all the legals that go with data protection to navigate and so on, unless maybe that already happens elsewhere on site? I suppose its a case that the festival has now grown / matured enough that it can implement more modern technical methods than fire towers, and remove the risk with people having to climb up them.

14 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Yeah, I guess you also then have to tell the public there's essentially CCTV covering them etc. with all the legals that go with data protection to navigate and so on, unless maybe that already happens elsewhere on site? I suppose its a case that the festival has now grown / matured enough that it can implement more modern technical methods than fire towers, and remove the risk with people having to climb up them.

I can't honestly say that I've checked, but I kind of assume that every festival has "you'll be on CCTV" somewhere in their T+Cs these days anyway - would be surprised if there's any festivals (other than the very smallest ones) that don't utilise it to some degree.

I mentioned about thermal, specifically, because it would detect people (and potentially hint at what they're doing) inside tents.

Edited by incident

45 minutes ago, incident said:

I can't honestly say that I've checked, but I kind of assume that every festival has "you'll be on CCTV" somewhere in their T+Cs these days anyway - would be surprised if there's any festivals (other than the very smallest ones) that don't utilise it to some degree.

I mentioned about thermal, specifically, because it would detect people (and potentially hint at what they're doing) inside tents.

Yeah couldn't see it going to thermal - especially on the first night there 😉

8 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Any idea of good tips of who to try to catch in Cabaret or Comedy?  

Attila the Stockbroker is on Saturday in Gail's Tea Tent, time TBC see board on the day, but if like last time was mid-afternoon. Amusing and poignant poetry. Regular on John Peel back in the day. 

Seconded for Zombie Met Girl too, whoever said that. 

3 minutes ago, timespeedsup said:

Attila the Stockbroker is on Saturday in Gail's Tea Tent, time TBC see board on the day, but if like last time was mid-afternoon. Amusing and poignant poetry. Regular on John Peel back in the day. 

Seconded for Zombie Met Girl too, whoever said that. 

Ooh I've seen Attila before but would like to catch him again.  And yes, I listened to Zombie Met Girl after they were recommended and liked them.  Thanks.

6 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Hmmm. I think one year they had security do the fire towers all day as well, then only at night another year or something, so might not be a position we're doin this year anyway..

God I hope so. One of the bleakest shifts I ever did for Oxfam was overnight up a fire tower at Bearded. Did meet the landowner that night. Absolutely shit faced and wanted me to help him find his house. Can't be too critical, I once ended up in the wrong house one new years eve. Although my house was considerably smaller than his. 

With regards to a meet, Thursday ok with most? (realise there are shifts to do for some of you)

I suggest we pick a bar, and meet outside of it. Need to find out what ones are open though on the Thursday, am hoping all of them! 

With regards to a meet, Thursday ok with most? (realise there are shifts to do for some of you)

I suggest we pick a bar, and meet outside of it. Need to find out what ones are open though on the Thursday, am hoping all of them! 

@PinheadI've sent you a PM