Bearded Theory 2022

Chrisp1986

17 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I'm working my way through the stages and making quick notes. Unless they grab me, they don't get much time. Thoughts so far:

Dreadzone - Like some but it's a no
Pierce Brothers - Nice enough. Possible but aren't getting anyone excited
Cottons - Poppy, guitary, not great
Brian Stone - Pirate folk
Placebo - Ageing pop goths
Frank Carter - Not as shouty as he used to be. Good stuff though. 
The Mission - Ace
Dubiotza - Bouncing
Yonaka - Shouty pop woman. Irritating. 
Nova Twins - Like Yonaka but they do it well. 
Lauern Hibbert - Poppy/slighly punky but in a good way. 
The Now - Catchy indie rock. Faint whiff of Feeder
Patti Smith - Leg end
Frank Turner - Frank, innit
Shame - Indie punk
Ferocious Dog - What you'd expect
The Skints - Ska. That'll do.
Misty in Roots - Reggae
John - Noisy guitar/drums duo. Great
The Kubricks - Ska
The Flaming Lips - Trippy pop/rock. Critics choice.
The Hives - Punky fun by the bucketload
The Selecter - Ska
Billy Nomates - Interesting. More 6 Music than Bearded
Porridge Radio - Interesting. More 6 Music than Bearded
Do Nothing - Started like a bad 80s dream, went a bit Fall-ish
3 Daft Monkeys - Stop it
Bar Stewards - As you were
Wilko Johnson - Rock n Roll
Fat White Family - Seem to have gone more noody than last time I saw them. Maybe still worth a watch
Little Comets - Vampre Weekend vibes
Bob Vylan - Rappy political stuff
Blackballed - Southern rock. I like it.
Afflecks Palace - Dreamy Pop
Spyres - Like a rocky Voice of The Beehive
Echo Machine - Remind me of Depeche Mode, which is never a good thing.
Katy Hurt - Nice bit of country
Working Mens Club - Synth bollocks
Jaws - Bit dull
Walt Disco - Nuts. Bit shit
Andrew Cushin - Singer songwriter gubbins. Pleasant
Popes of Chilitown - If you only see one ska band this weekend, don't make it this one
Tarantism - North African trippy vibes/folk
Jess Silk - Folk rock singer, songwriter. Gaz Brookfieldy
Concrete Rose - Reggae / ska. Hope for a sunny day.
Neville Staple - Specials, innit?
Amy MacDonald - Sprightly, chart bothering guitar pop
Ocrober Drift - Decent. Better live than on record.
The Vapours - Turning Japanese!
The Lagan - Irish punk
Gaz Brookfield - Frank Turner lite
Liines - Banshee-esque

I think I missed some out cos I know I dislike them so didn't bother listening (hello Peter Hook).

Ha, who need the NME or Melody Maker after this summary.  Well played... 😆

43 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I don't think that's always a bad thing as it gives you freedom.  But it's nice to have a few to get excited about seeing.  How do you feel about having so few?

Of course, I'd have liked to have a few more must sees, the 2020 line up had introduced me to the Lathums and I was really excited to see them, I don't have anything like that this year. The year before ,Bearded had introduced me to the Lottery Winners, new bands to be excited seeing for the first time. There was also Toots, Undertones, Johnny Marr and Primal Scream, it was a stronger line up for me when I bought the tickets. Not complaining at all. I know it's a strong line up, just not quite me.

I'm sure I will enjoy Patti Smith (never seen her before and like quite a few, but I'm not excited by it), The Flaming Lips, Selecter, Gaz Brookfield, Hives, Bar Stewards will all be great because I know the people I'm with, will all be smiling and joyous. I will bask in their happiness. I'm sure I will also discover someone in Maui Waui, because I always do. Shout outs to Urban Voodoo, Cut Capers, Bloodshake Chorus, Swinghoppers over the last few festivals, all absolutely belting performances.

But do I care, not at all! As you say, it will have some upside. I've missed my festival family so much over lockdown, it will be great to spend some quality time with them (just a shame we don't have the Wednesday as well). Also taking my grandchildren for the first time so it was going to be a different type of festival for me this year. We have babysitting duties for Placebo, one of my daughter in law's favourites. It's my son's and family's first Bearded and my youngest grandson's first, and he loves his music. That's the thing that excites me the most is seeing his reaction to the festival. I know he's going to love it!

I'm also excited to see the beer menu drop, hopefully that will be soon

13 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

😄

I'll go Aging goth popsters.

I just saw it and thought "I definitely saw them a decade or so before I saw placebo" 

Sure enough some kind soul shared the set list from 1986 🧓

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-mission/1986/the-studio-bristol-england-2bd078ce.html

Edited by clarkete

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

I just saw it and thought "I definitely saw them a decade or so before I saw placebo" 

Sure enough some kind soul shared the set list from 1986 🧓

I saw them so many times in the 80s, always a cracking gig. Lots of arm waving and throwing torn up paper in the air. From the Royal Court in Liverpool through the NEC to headlining Reading and Finsbury Park, amazing times. It was great seeing them get bigger and bigger.

14 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

Must sees-.

Flaming Lips (best live band in the world...what a way to end the weekend)

Bob Vylan (that is gonna go off in the Woodland! See them a couple of times last year and will be seeing them the Saturday before Bearded in Brum)

Dubioza Kolektiv (hopefully with the thunderstorm that accompanied them the last time they did Bearded)

Pizzatramp (again, brilliant last time at Bearded)

Frank Turner (not a big fan but always really enjoy him live)

Gonna try and make more of an effort to get off me arse and go and see more stuff I don't know rather then sitting in the sunshine sampling the ales)

Cannot. Fucking. Wait.

A good list. Just checked out Pizzatramp. I'll be at most/all of these, and as you say only because Frank Turner is fun live.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I saw them so many times in the 80s, always a cracking gig. Lots of arm waving and throwing torn up paper in the air. From the Royal Court in Liverpool through the NEC to headlining Reading and Finsbury Park, amazing times. It was great seeing them get bigger and bigger.

He he, excellent stuff. 

I hadn't even realised they were back... again... until your post 😊

21 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I'm working my way through the stages and making quick notes. Unless they grab me, they don't get much time. Thoughts so far:

Dreadzone - Like some but it's a no
Pierce Brothers - Nice enough. Possible but aren't getting anyone excited
Cottons - Poppy, guitary, not great
Brian Stone - Pirate folk
Placebo - Ageing pop goths
Frank Carter - Not as shouty as he used to be. Good stuff though. 
The Mission - Ace
Dubiotza - Bouncing
Yonaka - Shouty pop woman. Irritating. 
Nova Twins - Like Yonaka but they do it well. 
Lauern Hibbert - Poppy/slighly punky but in a good way. 
The Now - Catchy indie rock. Faint whiff of Feeder
Patti Smith - Leg end
Frank Turner - Frank, innit
Shame - Indie punk
Ferocious Dog - What you'd expect
The Skints - Ska. That'll do.
Misty in Roots - Reggae
John - Noisy guitar/drums duo. Great
The Kubricks - Ska
The Flaming Lips - Trippy pop/rock. Critics choice.
The Hives - Punky fun by the bucketload
The Selecter - Ska
Billy Nomates - Interesting. More 6 Music than Bearded
Porridge Radio - Interesting. More 6 Music than Bearded
Do Nothing - Started like a bad 80s dream, went a bit Fall-ish
3 Daft Monkeys - Stop it
Bar Stewards - As you were
Wilko Johnson - Rock n Roll
Fat White Family - Seem to have gone more noody than last time I saw them. Maybe still worth a watch
Little Comets - Vampre Weekend vibes
Bob Vylan - Rappy political stuff
Blackballed - Southern rock. I like it.
Afflecks Palace - Dreamy Pop
Spyres - Like a rocky Voice of The Beehive
Echo Machine - Remind me of Depeche Mode, which is never a good thing.
Katy Hurt - Nice bit of country
Working Mens Club - Synth bollocks
Jaws - Bit dull

Walt Disco - Nuts.Bit shit
Andrew Cushin - Singer songwriter gubbins. Pleasant
Popes of Chilitown - If you only see one ska band this weekend, don't make it this one
Tarantism - North African trippy vibes/folk
Jess Silk - Folk rock singer, songwriter. Gaz Brookfieldy
Concrete Rose - Reggae / ska. Hope for a sunny day.
Neville Staple - Specials, innit?
Amy MacDonald - Sprightly, chart bothering guitar pop
Ocrober Drift - Decent. Better live than on record.
The Vapours - Turning Japanese!
The Lagan - Irish punk
Gaz Brookfield - Frank Turner lite
Liines - Banshee-esque

I think I missed some out cos I know I dislike them so didn't bother listening (hello Peter Hook).

Gnom in full grand national mode

this made me laugh - not heard them, will have to now

Walt Disco - Nuts.Bit shit 

4 hours ago, Boomtowner said:

Of course, I'd have liked to have a few more must sees, the 2020 line up had introduced me to the Lathums and I was really excited to see them, I don't have anything like that this year. The year before ,Bearded had introduced me to the Lottery Winners, new bands to be excited seeing for the first time. There was also Toots, Undertones, Johnny Marr and Primal Scream, it was a stronger line up for me when I bought the tickets. Not complaining at all. I know it's a strong line up, just not quite me.

I'm sure I will enjoy Patti Smith (never seen her before and like quite a few, but I'm not excited by it), The Flaming Lips, Selecter, Gaz Brookfield, Hives, Bar Stewards will all be great because I know the people I'm with, will all be smiling and joyous. I will bask in their happiness. I'm sure I will also discover someone in Maui Waui, because I always do. Shout outs to Urban Voodoo, Cut Capers, Bloodshake Chorus, Swinghoppers over the last few festivals, all absolutely belting performances.

But do I care, not at all! As you say, it will have some upside. I've missed my festival family so much over lockdown, it will be great to spend some quality time with them (just a shame we don't have the Wednesday as well). Also taking my grandchildren for the first time so it was going to be a different type of festival for me this year. We have babysitting duties for Placebo, one of my daughter in law's favourites. It's my son's and family's first Bearded and my youngest grandson's first, and he loves his music. That's the thing that excites me the most is seeing his reaction to the festival. I know he's going to love it!

I'm also excited to see the beer menu drop, hopefully that will be soon

I too really enjoyed the Lottery Winners in the Woodland and find the stuff in Mau Waui to be incredible - Henge were simply fantastic - there was someone else in the same year who were incredibly energetic as well but I can't remember who now!

11 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

Just starting to do my "due diligence" pre fest and I am rather taken with "Town of Cats"  (Maui Waui Stage) who look a whole lot of fun!

Enjoyed Town of Cats at Bearded before, definitely worth it.

Also incredibly happy with the brewery selection. Some old favourites; Vocation , Thornbridge, Magic Rock and Titanic and some breweries I've never heard of; Black Iris, Castle Rock and Hollowstone. Should be enough to keep me happy over the weekend

On 4/9/2022 at 9:12 AM, Boomtowner said:

Enjoyed Town of Cats at Bearded before, definitely worth it.

Also incredibly happy with the brewery selection. Some old favourites; Vocation , Thornbridge, Magic Rock and Titanic and some breweries I've never heard of; Black Iris, Castle Rock and Hollowstone. Should be enough to keep me happy over the weekend

Ooh thanks, I had missed that - any idea which are real ales and which are bottled or keg?

Shame and Working Mens Club are both pleasingly intense live. Not much chat (if any) but a good noise.

I didn't think Nova Twins were for me but i've seen them win over a festival crowd and think they could be a big hit.

Saw Liines a handful of times prior to lockdown so glad to see them on the bill.

The 9th Wave were one i noticed and liked off the playlist. Never heard them before.

Anyone seen them live?

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

When does the official clashfinder/set times come out? Or is it a case of you get your little lanyard thing when you go through the gate and that's it? 

Yes official times not released until on the day, there are changes right up to the last few days pre-fest, so anything on the Clashfinder website is not guaranteed to be 100%.
It's been wildly wrong in the past, please only use it as a rough guide and buy a programme when you get there.

I wanted to start packing at the weekend until I saw the look my other half gave me then quickly went off the idea! 

Anybody gone ahead of their family before, had any issues pitching in family if the family aren't actually with you? I am going Thursday and they are joining me Thursday. Got to make sure I don't overdo it Thursday and write Friday off. 

5 hours ago, idb said:

Purchased some very reasonably priced tickets off Twickets, so will be attending for the first time after wanting to go for a number of years.

Its an absolutely fantastic weekend with the friendliest crowd. Great site, very easy to get round, huge choice of beers. You won't regret it! 

1 hour ago, Paul ™ said:

Yes official times not released until on the day, there are changes right up to the last few days pre-fest, so anything on the Clashfinder website is not guaranteed to be 100%.
It's been wildly wrong in the past, please only use it as a rough guide and buy a programme when you get there.

As the man who does the clashfinder I can totally agree with this post - it is only ever a very rough guide, initially I did it just for me to see what clashes I may have then others asked it to be public so I did.

I always buy the programme the minute I find the seller on entry and spend the day learning about how wrong I was on times 🙂

• Upvote 2