BBC TV coverage happening this year?

MassiveGypsum

7 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Wolf Alice & Michael Kiwinuka were brilliant.

Paused for a bit to pee & get drinks. Was contemplating fast forwarding through George Ezra, but decide to save my fast forward time for Coldplay. Their production was amazing, but unfortunately they played Coldplay songs

I enjoyed Live at Worthy Farm when it came out, but having watched about 20 full sets & all the best of compilations this weekend, it feels a bit sterile!

Conclusion: live music needs an audience to make it truly life affirming!

7 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I enjoyed Live at Worthy Farm when it came out, but having watched about 20 full sets & all the best of compilations this weekend, it feels a bit sterile!

Conclusion: live music needs an audience to make it truly life affirming!

I know where your coming from, but I still enjoy the interaction between musicians playing live together even without an audience

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I get the impression Coldplay normally pay the extra that makes their shows so massive.

Yep some acts take reduced fees, some break even and some make a loss due to spending extra on lights, lazers, wristbands, inflatables, 3D glasses etc. 

4 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I know where your coming from, but I still enjoy the interaction between musicians playing live together even without an audience

Yeah, having them in a circle gives that rehearsal room vibe that can really be quite special if you've ever sat in on mates' band practice.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Big durbs said:

I think I read somewhere Coldplay don’t take a fee at all 

I don't know if it's true for all of their headline sets.. But I know that at least one of them (either 02 or 05, can't remember which) they had the entire fee (as would have been) donated to Oxfam instead.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, having them in a circle gives that rehearsal room vibe that can really be quite special if you've ever sat in on mates' band practice.

Don't get me wrong, that stuff is great to see. But at the end of a weekend of watching awesome performances at the greatest place on planet earth, with thousands of happy, smiling fans having the time of their lives, seeing bands perform to cameras only makes me feel a bit sad.

We (the audience) are just as important as the performers, imo!

First time I watched live at worthy farm I was hungover & despite normally liking them found watching Idles torture.

Suspected it would be, but can now confirm it is more enjoyable sans hangover.

Though suspect I'm not going to have a productive Monday as I promised myself I was going to stop drinking 2 drinks ago 

54 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I get the impression Coldplay normally pay the extra that makes their shows so massive.

Considering they can generate the revenue elsewhere its not that surprising they dont have an issue taking one gig with a reduced fee. Lots of acts should take that approach but apparently they dont or else there would be many more who would take the chance to be booked for the fest.

and theres been some great stuff this year this weekend. Glad they dug around and found some gems. Still plenty of things they can keep adding in the following years. 

Edited by Suprefan

3 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

The narrative by Dizzy was pretty awesome I thought.

the “ coverage “ this year is so much better than last year, hopefully next year it WILL be live coverage from. The festival.

Yes fully agree (with the caveat that I won't be able to watch it if I don't get a ticket! But still hope it's on).

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Thank you! I'm pretty much resigned to not going now but will give it a go. Was thinking I might not try but after watching the footage this weekend who am I kidding?

I think I mentioned it earlier; I think the coverage has stepped up a notch from last year. 

It's been brilliant, I've definitely dipped in more. At the same time, it put me on a bit of a downer because the chances of next year (for me) seem minimal too!

But, we've got to cling to something and someone has to get those few resale tickets!

Take care!

4 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I think I mentioned it earlier; I think the coverage has stepped up a notch from last year. 

It's been brilliant, I've definitely dipped in more. At the same time, it put me on a bit of a downer because the chances of next year (for me) seem minimal too!

But, we've got to cling to something and someone has to get those few resale tickets!

Take care!

Agree completely. Makes sense though because they had so little time to organise stuff last year.

Good luck to you! Really hope you get them. Even the resale feels so far away...

15 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

the “ coverage “ this year is so much better than last year, hopefully next year it WILL be live coverage from. The festival.

Considering this shit government seems determined to destroy the BBC, I'm going to send them (the BBC, not Boris) an e-mail tomorrow thanking them for their amazing coverage this weekend! 

I've had an absolute ball. Here's hoping I can meet all you lovely people on the farm next year & we can have the party to end all parties! 🙂

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Big durbs said:

Just based on the exposure they get you would think it would pay they to do it for free , 

The exposure doesnt always translate how you think. How does Stormzy get the headline slot in 2019, smashes it, has a sold out arena tour booked afterwards and then only books 2,000 cap theatres in the U.S.? Thats the disconnect some people dont see. Thats why lots of acts take the Coachella slot and know thats the launching pad you need for the year because its in the Spring and its crucial momentum you gain if you do really well. 

Also, how much different is the exposure when during the festival weekend all the coverage is on BBC and is location locked? Nobody gets to watch it happen in real time if you dont live in the UK. Thats not a true global event. When lots of other festivals put their broadcasts on youtube and it has no restriction at all. You see the buzz and such happening right there.

I must say I think the BBC did a great job over the weekend just gone.

I was quite critical of what was shown last year, and it does appear that they've gone into the archives a bit deeper this time and pulled out some good stuff, really enjoyed the highlights packages from 1998 & 1999 shown on BBC4 on Friday night.

As someone else said last years was done at quite short notice so probably why a lot of it was recent stuff but at least this time there have been things for those of us who are a bit older (or who were at least watching Glastonbury on TV during the 90s! 🙂 )

Also have a fair few things on my Sky Planner to watch over the next few weeks as I started watching Euro 2020 again on Saturday & Sunday.