BBC TV coverage happening this year?

MassiveGypsum

20 minutes ago, incident said:

They've said they're going to show a version of the Worthy Farm thing as part of their coverage, so there'll be something on.

It clashes with Euro 2020, so there's less hours need filling.

An edited down version of L@WF to a couple of hours sounds perfect.

On 6/5/2021 at 7:43 PM, incident said:

They've said they're going to show a version of the Worthy Farm thing as part of their coverage, so there'll be something on.

Good - means I can grab it then with get_iplayer.

On 6/5/2021 at 7:43 PM, incident said:

Not all of us will be wanting to watch that!

Hope there's loads of Glastonbury sets/programmes on the Iplayer this year.  And ideally not all exactly the same as last years.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, music fan said:

Not all of us will be wanting to watch that!

Hope there's loads of Glastonbury sets/programmes on the Iplayer this year.  And ideally not all exactly the same as last years.

This story gave a bit more detail:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2021/bbc-music-rights-glastonbury-presents-live-at-worthy-farm

There's also going to be some behind-the-scenes documentary about Live at Worthy Farm.

6 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

They put a load of past big weekend sets up alongside the new stuff this year so expecting similar. 

Who even owns the copyright to the iPlayer sets? Worthy farm, the artist, BBC? Some weird conglomeration of the three?

Think it's a mixture. As the broadcaster the BBC will own the rights, but artists can refuse to have their sets broadcasted or demand them only part broadcasted.

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

They put a load of past big weekend sets up alongside the new stuff this year so expecting similar. 

Who even owns the copyright to the iPlayer sets? Worthy farm, the artist, BBC? Some weird conglomeration of the three?

As far as I remember, it's complicated but broadly speaking -

GFL have the copyright to raw on-stage footage - at least from 1994 onwards, not sure about before that.

The BBC and GFL jointly own the copyright to the programmes as broadcast (or C4 and GFL for the 94-95 festivals)

The artists (or in some cases whoever they've signed away their rights to) have various other rights, and would have a veto on any footage being used beyond the scope of the original agreement.

3 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

It was a shame when the archive sets were broadcast last year that most of them seemed to be from the last decade or so, was hardly anything from the 90s/early 00s.

Someone (one of the BBC team I think) basically said that part of the selection process was down to what was easily available, especially when considering the COVID restrictions in place while they were putting it together - specifically that they've got more footage from recent years ready to go in their digital archives that can be processed and edited by people working from home.

Whereas most of the older footage is still on tape that someone would need to physically retrieve and then convert - most of the older sets we did see are obvious exceptions - the Bowie set had been recently remastered and released, so would have been transferred to Digital at that point. Likewise the REM 99 and Pulp 1995 sets have been shown elsewhere recently.

Hopefully with more time to prepare, and fewer restrictions in place, it should be possible to go back a bit deeper this time.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Lauren Laverne talking to Jo Whiley about this now on 6music

Pretty sure Jo said they were broadcasting the entire livestream (hadn't we previously been told it was only highlights?).

50 sets on iPlayer, 30 sets on BBC Sounds,Jo's behind the scenes documentary & she's also doing a nineties highlights show. Somebody was doing a noughties highlight show (Clara Amfo?) & Lauren is curating a legends highlights show. That was the main things I took from it.

Edited by found home in 2009

Just now, found home in 2009 said:

Pretty sure Jo said they were broadcasting the entire livestream (hadn't we previously been told it was only highlights?).

50 sets on iPlayer, 30 sets on BBC Sounds,Jo's behind the scenes documentary & she's also doing a nineties highlights show. Somebody was doing a noughties highlight show (Claire Amfo?) & Lauren is curating a legends highlights show. That was the main things I took from it.

From the press release about Live at Worthy Farm: https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2021/glastonbury/

Over 50 full Glastonbury sets from the BBC archives available to watch on BBC iPlayer and over 30 sets to listen to on BBC Sounds from Monday 21 June. This is in addition to individual Live At Worthy Farm performances which will be available to stream on BBC iPlayer from Thursday 24 June. Glastonbury presents Live At Worthy Farm premiered online on Saturday 22 May and saw performances from Wolf Alice, Michael Kiwanuka, George Ezra, IDLES, HAIM, Coldplay, Damon Albarn, Jorja Smith, The Smile, Kano and Honey Dijon featuring Róisín Murphy

An exclusive 60 minute BBC Two documentary - Live At Worthy Farm: Backstage (w/t) presented by Jo Whiley, which will tell the story of how this once in a lifetime event was put together. This will be followed by Live At Worthy Farm: Highlights (w/t), featuring a selection of performances from the artists who took part in the event

1 hour ago, found home in 2009 said:

50 sets on iPlayer, 30 sets on BBC Sounds,Jo's behind the scenes documentary & she's also doing a nineties highlights show. Somebody was doing a noughties highlight show (Clara Amfo?) & Lauren is curating a legends highlights show. That was the main things I took from it.

Yep that's what I heard too but the press release/coverage seems to say something different

20 hours ago, incident said:

Someone (one of the BBC team I think) basically said that part of the selection process was down to what was easily available, especially when considering the COVID restrictions in place while they were putting it together - specifically that they've got more footage from recent years ready to go in their digital archives that can be processed and edited by people working from home.

Whereas most of the older footage is still on tape that someone would need to physically retrieve and then convert - most of the older sets we did see are obvious exceptions - the Bowie set had been recently remastered and released, so would have been transferred to Digital at that point. Likewise the REM 99 and Pulp 1995 sets have been shown elsewhere recently.

Hopefully with more time to prepare, and fewer restrictions in place, it should be possible to go back a bit deeper this time.

Thanks for the info 🙂 Hopefully like you say this time round we will get more of a selection. 

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I still wish they would just make every year’s highlights show available to watch on the iPlayer.

I like full sets but would much prefer a curated guide to each year.

I also feel like they are sitting on a gold mine with this.

Either the BBC or GFL themselves could create 2 hour highlight packages going right back to the early 1990s I'm sure.  

I tried watching some a few weeks ago and only 2019 was on iPlayer

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I still wish they would just make every year’s highlights show available to watch on the iPlayer.

I like full sets but would much prefer a curated guide to each year.

Happy memories of getting back from the fest and watching the weekend's highlights on VHS with a curry.

39 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I also feel like they are sitting on a gold mine with this.

Either the BBC or GFL themselves could create 2 hour highlight packages going right back to the early 1990s I'm sure.  

I tried watching some a few weeks ago and only 2019 was on iPlayer

Full sets are great and all, but I often lose interest quickly. Gig footage isn't the biggest feast for the eyes usually and it's easy to drift off, it's often like watching a screensaver with music. Unless it's something I really like I often wander off in terms of attention, which is why I love the highlights show every year. One track per artist, gives a better overall flavour of the festival rather than just who was headlining.

That said I'll probably just dip in and out of the coverage this year. Doesn't sound like there's much I haven't already seen, plus the football will be on and I don't really feel the same need to watch everything this year like I did last year.

Last year I missed it much more keenly, this year feels like just another fallow year. 

Edited by Hugh Jass