My son is going to design a perfect Festival Mug, whatever that is?

Staberinde

Callum is 17 and is studying products design.

He has been to loads of festivals since he was born and so is trying to come up with a unique design for the perfect festival mug as part of his studies

If any one can help please would you fill out this very simple survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/MGLMP9S

Thanks all 😊

2 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Metal surely? 

I'm afraid that my preference would be plastic. I have used metal cups when I was I was a child camping with my family. It was then that I learnt that if you put hot liquid into a metal mug and then drink from it, it hurts. I know all about plastic waste but the majority of that is from disposable one use only packaging etc. A plastic mug on the other hand will last almost forever.

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Now, if only these were made in plastic, the perfect festival mug would already be out there;

eFestivals - Festival Forums

I've completed the survey. 

The handle fell of one of my e-festival mugs last week. I’m going to keep it for sugar packets and biscuits and stuff.

61938806-69DB-4EB4-BBAC-F043A33C74A1.jpeg

6 minutes ago, stt11 said:

The handle fell of one of my e-festival mugs last week. I’m going to keep it for sugar packets and biscuits and stuff.

61938806-69DB-4EB4-BBAC-F043A33C74A1.jpeg

When you say 'fell off', do you actually mean it was broken off? I only ask because I've had a number of said mugs and found that they were very strong in certain situations where an inferior mug would certainly have bought it. I did eventually manage to break them all though (about 4 no I think). Why is that? why is it that I can go through life never breaking a single mug and then when I get an efests mug I manage to break 4 of them let alone 1? I may have to buy another, to give it one last try.

5 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

When you say 'fell off', do you actually mean it was broken off? I only ask because I've had a number of said mugs and found that they were very strong in certain situations where an inferior mug would certainly have bought it. I did eventually manage to break them all though (about 4 no I think). Why is that? why is it that I can go through life never breaking a single mug and then when I get an efests mug I manage to break 4 of them let alone 1? I may have to buy another, to give it one last try.

I just washed it up and the handle came of in my hand. Minimal force was used. I had two efest mugs. I think this was the oldest one. It’s about five years old. The rest of it seems fine.

9 minutes ago, stt11 said:

I just washed it up and the handle came of in my hand. Minimal force was used. I had two efest mugs. I think this was the oldest one. It’s about five years old. The rest of it seems fine.

Oh, that sounds odd, and potentially dangerous.

I scalped the handle off one by stacking it too high in the dishwasher. The rotating blade made mince meat of it. Mind you, i once dropped one onto a quarry tile floor and it just did a little bounce and then lay still. I checked it and all was ok with it. Quarry tiles are not known for their forgiveness in such circumstances.

5 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Oh, that sounds odd, and potentially dangerous.

I scalped the handle off one by stacking it too high in the dishwasher. The rotating blade made mince meat of it. Mind you, i once dropped one onto a quarry tile floor and it just did a little bounce and then lay still. I checked it and all was ok with it. Quarry tiles are not known for their forgiveness in such circumstances.

I have linoleum, type, tiles. So they’re not so bad. But I’ve broken two Denby mugs during lock down. So they’re not that reliable. I think Denby just hit the floor in the wrong way, though. I’ve dropped plates and they’ve just chipped.

55 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm afraid that my preference would be plastic. I have used metal cups when I was I was a child camping with my family. It was then that I learnt that if you put hot liquid into a metal mug and then drink from it, it hurts. I know all about plastic waste but the majority of that is from disposable one use only packaging etc. A plastic mug on the other hand will last almost forever.

Not with this one 

https://shop.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/collections/accessories/products/glastonbury-festival-keep-cup

2 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Thank you. I had no idea of its existence. It's been a fair while since I looked at the efests shop, or any type of other brand camping gear for that matter ie. I didn't know that they'd even overcome the metal burnt lips issue. I guess that's because I've now got a campervan. I've never taken it to Glastonbury though. If (maybe when) I ever go back there I'd be camping in a tent with my mates anyway. Same spot that I've been to for 20+ years. 

On 6/2/2021 at 4:00 PM, deebeedoobee said:

Done, good luck Callum. Can we see the resulting mug once designed/made?

I'll dig this thread out and post some pics when/if he ever makes a prototype 

Thanks guys, great response and started a bit of mug banter 👍

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Done, good luck with the project. 

My favourite reusable festival beer mugs are the Green Man ones with the handle. 

I thought those stacking cups were ingenious the first time I went to the courtyard bar for a round. Makes things so much easier. I've ended up with a pile of them at home after not taking them back for the deposit 😄