What's your favourite Bob Dylan song?

CaledonianGonzo

Astonishing verse from Jokerman:

It’s a shadowy world, skies are slippery grey
A woman just gave birth to a prince today and dressed him in scarlet
He’ll put the priest in his pocket, put the blade to the heat
Take the motherless children off the street and place them at the feet of a harlot

I haven't read this thread. The reason is that to do so is a little beyond me, right now. However, I do kind of have a tale about Bob Dylan. It'll probably depend on age and also if you are into English cricket (I'm very much not in the letter camp, and definitely not in the early stages of the former).

Anyway, I used to go to a mate's mom and dad's pub way back in the 1980's. The cricketer Bob Willis used to drink in there regularly. Anyway, I once listened to him on a radio program (pretty sure it was radio 4) and he was asked what his greatest passion was - was it his cricket or was it his love of Dylan. His response was very swift. It went along the lines of 'I'm really sorry to all the cricket fans out there, but it is, without a doubt, Dylan.

As an aside, but in direct relation to the original question, my favourite is this (see below). it might get on a lot of people's tits, but to me hearing it now is every bit as raw as when I first heard it. Not too many songs fall in to that category;

Peace & bastard love.

Over and out.

Ah man, been siting here trying to work out my answer. Right this minute, at 7.20 on a Friday morning in late May, it's probably

She Belongs to me

She’s your lover now

What good am I

Simple twist of fate/tangled up in blue (they're of a piece for me)

Visons of Johanna

But it'll probably change with one more cup of coffee. 

Also, I'm sticking up for Nocturama just because of 'Babe, I'm on Fire'. Love the momentum on that song.

7 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

In fairness, it was probably 50 years too late 😂

Yeah, that's the thing. I saw him in 1991 off the back of 'Oh Mercy' (pretty much my first ever 'proper' grown-up gig), and even then it was 15 + years too late, despite that run of shows being described as his best for years. Basically, I reckon everything after Rolling Thunder was pretty much 'too late'. 

Equally, despite all the praise lavished on them, I can't really get excited about anything new he's released in the last 30 years, pretty much. I fucking worship at the altar of Zimmerman, but have no interest in anything he's doing now. Delighted he's keeping on, fair fucking play to the fella, but don't want to listen to it.

9 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Hurricane. 

Same

8 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

He's a reactionary small c conservative on a fair number of issues, so pretty much a selection box of whatever you want to cancel him for.

Otherwise known as ‘an Australian male’. 

57 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, that's the thing. I saw him in 1991 off the back of 'Oh Mercy' (pretty much my first ever 'proper' grown-up gig), and even then it was 15 + years too late, despite that run of shows being described as his best for years. Basically, I reckon everything after Rolling Thunder was pretty much 'too late'. 

Equally, despite all the praise lavished on them, I can't really get excited about anything new he's released in the last 30 years, pretty much. I fucking worship at the altar of Zimmerman, but have no interest in anything he's doing now. Delighted he's keeping on, fair fucking play to the fella, but don't want to listen to it.

My first Dylan concert was as a 17 year old in 2002, an Uncle had got me into Dylan a few years back from then when I started a Saturday job with him, and he took me to see him. God, yeah it was far away from his prime but Zimmy had me hooked by the third song It’s Alright Ma. I relistened to Time Out Of Mind recently, and I must say was a wonderful listen, there’s been a few gems in the last 30 years 

The last 30 years have been an extended purple patch really.  At least when his muse is functioning.  The standards covers albums are neither here nor there, but the run from Time Out of Mind through to Rough and Rowdy Ways is consistently strong.

His last clunker of original material is probably Under The Red Sky.