Latitude booze policy

DJ Cull

39 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

location of the Brewery is not a factor - by the way Woodford’s Wherry used to be sold at Glastonbury ' in some of the Bars 

Yep I just meant it makes sense to serve ales that are vaguely local from a marketing and environmental POV. I know they don’t appear to be too concerned about provenance if they have Carlsberg as a main sponsor, but if I have to drink an average ale ima feel better about it coming from East Anglia than from Cornwall or Scotland. 

I remember Wherry from Glasto days. A mainstay of the Cockmill but as you say, it was often a running ale in the bigger bars too. 

9 minutes ago, Mackem said:

Yep I just meant it makes sense to serve ales that are vaguely local from a marketing and environmental POV. I know they don’t appear to be too concerned about provenance if they have Carlsberg as a main sponsor, but if I have to drink an average ale ima feel better about it coming from East Anglia than from Cornwall or Scotland. 

Given that you can’t move in Southwold for Adnams, it’s scandalous that they don’t serve their beers at the festival.

This was the only negative of my first visit in 2019. If anyone knows where on site I'll be able to find a decent IPA I'd be extremely grateful. I searched high and low and couldn't find a thing...... ended up on the export Carlsberg from the one bar that was selling it...... marginally better than the bog standard stuff.... but only marginally 

I last went in 2018, but the Adnams 'debate' for Latitude has been going on for a decade or so. Nearly the same amount of time since they stopped having Aspalls (very local) as the cider. Became all about big corporate brand marketing budgets about 2010.

As said above, there has usually been Hectors pure around the site but it can run out, but is not bad. A decent range of gin, cocktail and wine specific bars. 

You can generally bring as much as you like into the campsite (and there was an option 2-3 years ago to preorder slabs of chilled stuff for campsite consumption?). The arena entry is definitely searched. Variably though. Not sure how a 'pat down' is going to work with COVID mind you?

19 hours ago, Mackem said:

I remember Wherry from Glasto days. A mainstay of the Cockmill but as you say, it was often a running ale in the bigger bars too. 

first shot is Hyde park 2006 { 13 events over 14 days - I worked at them all  } - Note the bar sign although it mainly sold lager  - price list is the Park bar at Glastonbury 2008 so there was a few bars selling it.

Beer sponsorship is a fact of life and if you went to Glastonbury in the early years { before 1986 } the bars were run by a few wine merchants and amazingly some bars used to put up a sign ' closed as we are at Lunch ' - lots of jokers selling cans out of the back of a van.

Michael Eavis ran into the WBC at some  ' GLC march for jobs protest ' in 1985 and he asked them down in 1986 and the rest is history.

If I mention Reading - some years ago the main beer sponsor was Carling anyway one year Carling decided to withdraw from certain festivals - photo is from 2007 { now you cant miss the name } when they pulled out Carlsberg was the highest bidder but Punters were still asking for a ' Pint of Carling ' so I am not sure if they pay attention to the sponsor signs.

By the way latitude sister event - Longitude Festival in Dublin { cancelled for this year } - the main beer sponsor is Heineken !!!

A beer contract runs for 7 or 8 years so perhaps the next time its up Heineken may snatch it from Carlsberg.
hyde-park4.jpg.deec38b9f0ddd81c9fe0ca83db76dcac.jpgglasto-price-list.thumb.jpg.4151e91d8459defbb43b346b75693ceb.jpg2007-read-1cut-1.thumb.jpg.1339d0d884edff08282d4ece16324153.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

first shot is Hyde park 2006 { 13 events over 14 days - I worked at them all  } - Note the bar sign although it mainly sold lager  - price list is the Park bar at Glastonbury 2008 so there was a few bars selling it.

Beer sponsorship is a fact of life and if you went to Glastonbury in the early years { before 1986 } the bars were run by a few wine merchants and amazingly some bars used to put up a sign ' closed as we are at Lunch ' - lots of jokers selling cans out of the back of a van.

Michael Eavis ran into the WBC at some  ' GLC march for jobs protest ' in 1985 and he asked them down in 1986 and the rest is history.

If I mention Reading - some years ago the main beer sponsor was Carling anyway one year Carling decided to withdraw from certain festivals - photo is from 2007 { now you cant miss the name } when they pulled out Carlsberg was the highest bidder but Punters were still asking for a ' Pint of Carling ' so I am not sure if they pay attention to the sponsor signs.

By the way latitude sister event - Longitude Festival in Dublin { cancelled for this year } - the main beer sponsor is Heineken !!!

A beer contract runs for 7 or 8 years so perhaps the next time its up Heineken may snatch it from Carlsberg.
glasto-price-list.thumb.jpg.4151e91d8459defbb43b346b75693ceb.jpg

Thanks. The thing that really caught my eye in your reply was that there was a Park Bar in 2008. My memory's not what it was but I'm genuinely surprised that the Park existed then. It certainly didn't when I started going in 2000. I'd have said later - was that its first year?

On 6/29/2021 at 9:24 AM, Mackem said:

Thanks. The thing that really caught my eye in your reply was that there was a Park Bar in 2008. My memory's not what it was but I'm genuinely surprised that the Park existed then. It certainly didn't when I started going in 2000. I'd have said later - was that its first year?

On 6/29/2021 at 11:03 AM, Copperface said:

And that the Park Bar sold 'Spirts'.

In fact the Park area opened in 2007 

see https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/history/history-2007/

I had a stroke in 2006 so I had told WBC staffing that I could only work in a bar close to the WBC Crew site. I worked in the bar nearest the crew site in 2007 but in 2008  - they ' thought ' The Park Area was closer than it was.

I know 100% it was 2008 because after walking that distance { the WBC crew area was next to gate A { in a hidden area but it was there } By sods law on the first day I was spotted by the Tent Manager { the boss of that bar } just as I walked in and she was a friend I had worked with for the past 20 years so she was dead pleased to see me - if she had not been there I would have walked back and got a transfer as that walk is a killer 

Apart from the distance the actual Bar was fine - not as busy as others as I suspect many Punters had not found the park area

Working a dead busy bar is very hectic and there is no time to chat to any Customers so it made a change having time to speak.

By the way anyone buying a Pimms in that bar got a extra bonus - bugger all to do with me as I know it was a Manager doing the mixing  - WBC Central stock could not work out why the park Bar was selling more Pimms than any other bar and they showed up on the Sunday evening and they discovered that Manager had been mixing a far stronger Pimms than it should have been - No one has a clue how much that cost them. No wonder Pimms drinkers were falling over themselves to buy them. 

Anyway after 2008 I decided never to get caught out again so from 2009 I have always worked the WBC Crew Bar hence how I know it was 2008

----------------

Dreamtime is one of the largest bars at Glastonbury and here is the price list and you can see they also sell spirits so most WBC Bars do sell spirits. But if a bar is dead busy ' spirit sales may be suspended ' until the crowd goes down.

park-bar-front.thumb.jpg.237917a9f1cf31e1d46d67c3d9e2a5a4.jpgpark-bar-side.thumb.jpg.8cc5425c6b3092d87a066713dc192ecd.jpggeneral-park-area.thumb.jpg.52f1d8875bdee06b968bb48e5b1d0312.jpg1562122503_main-area(1).thumb.jpg.c66cd7772db0ef39c76d2f9022a7fa5c.jpgprice-list-young.thumb.jpg.d0c59a7f94113c2674f2725cea352233.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sell me a nice cold IPA or pale ale, and a porter or stout for the evening - rip me off if you want Latitude, but don't force me to drink lager! 😱😁 Had hoped things would have moved on since I was last at the fest in 2018, but doesn't look like it from your comments. 

I'll have to bring some nice cold cans in with me to the campsite for Thursday and maybe smuggle the odd can into the arena if I can keep them cold enough. 

The news about the shite selection of booze is really disheartening but I can survive in the campsite on good pale ales if I can at least get some gin or tequila once I’m into the event area.  Anyone know if that’s sold or is that corporate fucked too? 

Edited by Gwladboy

On 7/15/2021 at 5:51 PM, Gwladboy said:

The news about the shite selection of booze is really disheartening but I can survive in the campsite on good pale ales if I can at least get some gin or tequila once I’m into the event area.  Anyone know if that’s sold or is that corporate fucked too? 

All Street Feast traders have just been announced and there’s a craft beer bar listed!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mikegday said:

All Street Feast traders have just been announced and there’s a craft beer bar listed!

Haha just came on to post about the craft beer bar! And the prosecco one will be better than the main bar stuff 

Food looks amazing - almost too much to choose from! And i recognise the Flaming Cactus Mexican from Glastonbury

9 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

The craft beer bar will sell out if it's decent (I really hope it is).  And another vote for the food here, that's a great selection.

Yeah will definitely be visiting there on the Thursday. Surely it's better than Carlsberg, and you'd imagine a couple of different choices will be there 

Edited by efcfanwirral

6 minutes ago, big hog said:

Are the co-op prices really that decent? Don't think I've been to a fest that has one of them yet. If they're actually supermarket prices I might just avoid carrying a load of cans in with me and pick some up there.

They're not Supermarket prices.

But they are approximately regular Co-Op prices, albeit without the special offers that you'd normally see.

2 hours ago, Mackem said:

OK so the main bar’s only got one ale and it’s keg (Shedhead) and the Craft bar only has 2 draught (both keg) Brooklyn Defender ( too strong) and London Fields Pils. Is that it? No cask at all. Has anyone found any?

No cask no 

Theres one called brew house that does Export but we really are scraping the barrel here 😂. Brooklyn was nice but a bit heavy for a festival session for me 

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

No cask no 

Theres one called brew house that does Export but we really are scraping the barrel here 😂. Brooklyn was nice but a bit heavy for a festival session for me 

I’ve stuck with Shedhead. Nice enough but not a session beer - not at my age anyway.  There’s a small ‘secret’ bar between BBC and Main that has Hobgoblin on draught but can’t work out the access requirements. I sneezed in behind security but the queue was too long and I left to watch a band.