Album of the Month Tournament - May 2021

Quark

1. Squid - Bright Green Field

2. St. Vincent - Daddy's Home

3. Sons of Kemet - Black to the Future 

These became my top 3 by default. I've only listed to part of Olivia Rodrigo's album and nothing else 'new' this month that I can recall.

I guess I'll throw my votes in now too...thanks to the various posters in the new music thread that pointed me in the direction of some of these, thoroughly enjoying them!

1. Bachelor - Doomin' sun

2. Iceage - Seek Shelter

3. Black Keys - Delta Kream (is this allowed?...feels like something they always meant to do and managed to find the time this year!) 

The Gruff Rhys one is also lovely, need to listen to it a bit more. Also only got around to listening to Dry Cleaning this month, which is excellent. Like the Moby one, but actually it just made me put the originals back on my phone! 

Slow start and a strong finish for me this month:

1. Elder Island - Swimming Static

2. HAERTS - Dream Nation

3. Iceage - Seek Shelter

Had probably another 5 albums battling for 2nd and 3rd, Fightmilk, Penfriend, Paul Weller, The Black Keys, Easy Life.

How is it June already 🤯

2, Perturbator- Lustful Sacrements

2, Black Keys - Delta Kream 

3, Monster Magnet - a better dystopia

Quieter month for me, have probably listened to these three album the least of any months albums so far.

Still listening to album releases from the last few months, haven’t even had a chance to put in Salem or Van Weezer yet.

17 hours ago, MikeClarke94 said:

1. Natalia Lafourcade - Un Canto Por México Vol 2

2. Olivia Rodrigo - Sour

3. Aly & AJ - A Touch of the Beat Gets You Up on Your Feet Gets You Out and Then Into the Sun

I need to listen to the new Natalia Lafourcade! Loved vol 1 and Musas vol 2

9 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I meant to post this a bit earlier than the last day for submissions... but worth a quick check on here if like me you're trying to see what you might have missed 🙂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2021_albums#May

Thanks. Just realised Los Campesinos and Sports Team both brought out new albums without me realising. Will have to check them out.

I don't think there's been any contenders for album of the year this month for me but actually not a lot I've really disliked either so lots of perfectly solid albums and some that I will definitely give a bit more attention. I've had a busy month in May. My top 3 could have been any of about 10 albums but these are the ones I have opted for:

St. Vincent - Daddy's Home

Penfriend - Exotic Monsters

Gruff Rhys - Seeking New Gods

Morcheeba, Fightmilk, Olivia Rodrigo, Billie Marten, Sarah Klang and even Paul Weller were up there! 

3 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

Thanks. Just realised Los Campesinos and Sports Team both brought out new albums without me realising. Will have to check them out.

Turns out Los Campesinos! is an EP rather than an album and isn't on Spotify, just bandcamp. Also think it might be old tracks remastered rather than actual new material. Same with Sports Team. Kind of got excited about nothing there 😂

Edited by found home in 2009

1. Olivia Rodrigo - Sour

2. HAERTS - Dream Nation

3. Aly & AJ - A Touch of the Beat Gets You Up on Your Feet Gets You Out and Then Into the Sun

Honourable mentions to Black Keys, 21 Pilots, Gruff Rhys and more, but just downright enjoyed those three more this month. 🙂

ETA: Just wanted to add a big thanks to everyone posting - between this and the new music thread I'm always finding new delights to listen to. Lovely stuff.

Edited by jimmillen
  • Upvote 1

As seems to be the general consensus there was a whole lot of all right but nothing great this month. 

my favourite was India Jordan - Watch Out but as it was an EP I haven’t included it. 

1 - Gary Newman - ‘Intruder’

2 - Gruff Rhys - ‘Seeking New Gods’

3 - Matt Berry - ‘The Blue Elephant’