Album of the Month Tournament - May 2021

Quark

You all know the drill by now.  Pitchfork, The Quietus, NME and the rest of them can go whistle. This monthly symposium of musical magic is the one true arbiter of taste, decency and all things zeitgeist. We are the king, and indeed queen (it is 2021 after al), makers. From midnight tonight, have at it.

Here is a reminder of the rules:

• Contest window: Any album released in May
  • Entry window: between the last 0:00 Friday of the month in question to 23:59 the first Thursday of the month following (this time that's 28th May - 3rd June).
  • The system: Choose any three albums released during the month in question in order of preference.  The best receives three points, second best two points and the third best one point. See example below:

1. Album A (3 POINTS)
    2. Album B (2 POINTS)
    3. Album C (1 POINT)

• Any entries that say "so many good records. Can't choose! So in no particular order..." indicate a complete lack of understanding of simple gamesmanship. Votes from those entries will, obviously, be completely ignored.
    • Everyone else, I will assume the order they are listed is the order of preference. Even if you number it 1. 2. 3. I will assume that is in order of favourite and not the points you are giving unless expressed otherwise.
Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Quark said:

Here is a reminder of the rules:

• Contest window: Any album released in April
  • Entry window: between the last 0:00 Friday of the month in question to 23:59 the first Thursday of the month following (this time that's April 30 - May 6).

•  

We love you. 

I've only actually listened to 3 albums this month and I don't have anything on my radar for tomorrow so I'm just putting mine in order of best to worst. 

1. Weezer - Van Weezer

2. Olivia Rodrigo - Sour

3. Twenty One Pilots - Scaled and Icy

2 minutes ago, Haan said:

I'll wait for Black Midi, but I doubt it'll beat the new Mach-Hommy. Incredible bars, proper grimy beats. Loved it

Black Midi’s is out already, they released it early last night. 

This has been the weakest month overall for me. Will need to have a think about 2 and 3 but Iceage are the clear winners from what I’ve heard.

Just now, kingcrawler said:

Black Midi’s is out already, they released it early last night. 

This has been the weakest month overall for me. Will need to have a think about 2 and 3 but Iceage are the clear winners from what I’ve heard.

There's not as many, but the ones that I've liked I've really liked.

10 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I only have a 1 and 2 atm, depending on how tomorrow goes I might need to delve back into the recommendations in the New Music thread.

I've pulled together a playlist of all the albums suggested this month and working my way through them now. Expect my votes to come typically late in the day. 

27 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I've pulled together a playlist of all the albums suggested this month and working my way through them now. Expect my votes to come typically late in the day. 

Looking forward to your typically wholesome commentary that comes with it 🙂

Been a slow month so far for me but Elder Island and Easy Life out tomorrow that I have been looking forward to for a while. Based on the 3 singles I think Elder Island could challenge for top spot so hopefully the rest of the album lives up to this!

Just now, Brave Sir Robin said:

Do any of the other rules count? Or is it just that one we're allowing to be breached with impunity?

Come on man, gotta keep standards up.

I'll breach you with impunity in a minute.

That sounds weirder than it was meant to. But I stick by it.