Download Fest Pilot

Dukey

12 minutes ago, jump said:

The Wildhearts walked off 10-20mins early as they got fed up with tech problems.

Thought after 15 months without any live music he wouldn’t have been such a brat. It was the on stage monitors that seemed to be his issue, but it sounded fine from where I was standing 

10 minutes ago, Red Day said:

Thought after 15 months without any live music he wouldn’t have been such a brat. It was the on stage monitors that seemed to be his issue, but it sounded fine from where I was standing 

Yeah for the first festival in the U.K. in two years you’d think he’d have a bit of understanding and patience for stuff like this, as frustrating as it can be. Poor show.

• Upvote 2

Yeah - sounds techs need some love - it's been a while.

Been an absolute blast from start to finish - could not have enjoyed it more.

Aren't metal heads the best festival goers? The glasto lot go on about how friendly they are, but in my experience the metal crowd are just brilliant, so friendly, such a laugh.

• Upvote 1

One of the very, very best festivals I've ever been to. Everything about it was 100 times better than a normal Download. The 2/3 minute walk from my tent to the arena was bloody excellent and has encouraged me to attend more smaller festivals in future rather than the giant ones. Being able to take your own drinks into the arena too was kind on the wallet; I bought a few drinks from the bars but nowhere near the usual amount I would buy over the course of a weekend. 

The atmosphere everywhere was stunning. The rain didn't matter, everyone was in the best of spirits. 

I came home yesterday due to work today so I unfortunately missed Skindred. They're a band I don't listen to on record much at all but I know their big songs and they always deliver live. Apparently their set was incredible. 

Highlights for me were:

Frank Carter - a future headliner of Download and/or R&L, I am certain, after that performance. The energy was insane. 

Enter Shikari - at this point, my favorite band ever. I cried my eyes out during that fanfare intro, it was beautiful. They smashed as per usual but the energy from them and the crowd was next level, everyone was losing their heads from start to finish. This was the main event of the weekend for me. 

Lotus Eater - Just WOW. They're the future. Absolutely unbelievable stuff. 

Bleed From Within, Malevolence, Conjurer and Employed To Serve were also massive highlights. 

A couple of downers: 

Creeper - I am gutted that I missed their set. I've read and seen nothing but unbelievable things about it but unfortunately in my drunken state, I decided to go on the biggest bloody ride they had and spent several minutes about 100ft in the air spinning round and up and down and came off of the ride feeling like I was going to die. I went to have a lay down in my tent because I had to get feeling right again for Shikari so missed Creeper. All my own doing though so I don't deserve any sympathy at all 😛 

Wargasm - She is absolutely terrible. Like a Poundland Yolandi Visser. I was quite impressed with the other guy's vocal performance but she was dire. This band must be pleasing the right people (I don't want to be crude but I'm sure you know what I mean by that) to be getting the attention and coverage they are getting. 

Overall, though, it was a phenomenal weekend and one that will forever sit right up the very top of my list of best festival experiences. Some of the people I met (and subsequently formed a giant camp with) were the best people. Shout out Chinese Dave. 

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

One of the very, very best festivals I've ever been to. Everything about it was 100 times better than a normal Download. The 2/3 minute walk from my tent to the arena was bloody excellent and has encouraged me to attend more smaller festivals in future rather than the giant ones. Being able to take your own drinks into the arena too was kind on the wallet; I bought a few drinks from the bars but nowhere near the usual amount I would buy over the course of a weekend. 

The atmosphere everywhere was stunning. The rain didn't matter, everyone was in the best of spirits. 

I came home yesterday due to work today so I unfortunately missed Skindred. They're a band I don't listen to on record much at all but I know their big songs and they always deliver live. Apparently their set was incredible. 

Highlights for me were:

Frank Carter - a future headliner of Download and/or R&L, I am certain, after that performance. The energy was insane. 

Enter Shikari - at this point, my favorite band ever. I cried my eyes out during that fanfare intro, it was beautiful. They smashed as per usual but the energy from them and the crowd was next level, everyone was losing their heads from start to finish. This was the main event of the weekend for me. 

Lotus Eater - Just WOW. They're the future. Absolutely unbelievable stuff. 

Bleed From Within, Malevolence, Conjurer and Employed To Serve were also massive highlights. 

A couple of downers: 

Creeper - I am gutted that I missed their set. I've read and seen nothing but unbelievable things about it but unfortunately in my drunken state, I decided to go on the biggest bloody ride they had and spent several minutes about 100ft in the air spinning round and up and down and came off of the ride feeling like I was going to die. I went to have a lay down in my tent because I had to get feeling right again for Shikari so missed Creeper. All my own doing though so I don't deserve any sympathy at all 😛 

Wargasm - She is absolutely terrible. Like a Poundland Yolandi Visser. I was quite impressed with the other guy's vocal performance but she was dire. This band must be pleasing the right people (I don't want to be crude but I'm sure you know what I mean by that) to be getting the attention and coverage they are getting. 

Overall, though, it was a phenomenal weekend and one that will forever sit right up the very top of my list of best festival experiences. Some of the people I met (and subsequently formed a giant camp with) were the best people. Shout out Chinese Dave. 

Glad you enjoyed it. Bands were always going to pull it out but FC won't headline yet.

Also, yes 2000 Trees is a big example of that. Tbh as well without a Downer, Download isn't a great festival except for the sound by any stretch, it just happens that it has bands I do like. Hence I steer clear of it unless I really like the bands. It's the worst organised I've been to.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Yeah - sounds techs need some love - it's been a while.

Been an absolute blast from start to finish - could not have enjoyed it more.

Aren't metal heads the best festival goers? The glasto lot go on about how friendly they are, but in my experience the metal crowd are just brilliant, so friendly, such a laugh.

Glastonbury you do need the right crowd but of course it's going to be mellow compared.

I'd never compare a Glastonbury crowd to a Download one. You are going to win to intentionally mosh for a start Haha.

27 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

A couple of downers: 

It's a shame you missed Creeper, as good as they normally are they were even better this time. They were probably the best band I saw last year (which included Frank Carter, The Skints and The Interrupters who are all legit great live bands) and they are probably gonna be the best band I saw this year too.

I disagree about Wargasm, they have only done a couple of songs and this was apparently their first fest but they have the raw energy to go far. Once they have some more material I can see them being big.

Absolutely incredible feeling to be back at a festival. A beautiful experience again. Loved the layout. I hope everyone who went had a wonderful time and everyone who left last night/leaves today gets back safe. 

The bands of the weekend for me were Frank Carter, Frank Turner, Enter Shikari, Skindred, While She Sleeps, Jamie Lenman and A. 

Gutted by the Wildhearts, Ginger just being a massive dick. Twin Atlantic didn’t do it for me sadly, they felt really off (rustiness?) alongside some sound issues but pulled it back with the last two songs which were huge. Didn’t enjoy the new guy from Lonely the Brave either unfortunately. Love the new album, but live, didn’t work. Although it’s been 15/16 months, so you know…nerves!!

Overall, thank god this happened and bring us the rest of the year!!

Great weekend. Considering the time they had, I thought it was very well put together.

Felt for the people turning up later than the rest and struggling to find somewhere to camp. A few more toilets wouldn’t have gone amiss.

taking your own beer and having access to the arena was great and the lack of queuing was a blessing. 

Creeper - highlight of the weekend. Amazing performance and crowd

Frank Turner - knew nothing about him. What a performance

Stone Broken - Walsall’s version of Black Stone Cherry. Loved it. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

I saw them at their warm up show thursday night. Being fair, they both got gassed pretty quickly, but they've only ever played a handful of shows. She's recently been taken on as YUNGBLUD's bassist, so who knows what the future really holds.

7 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

I saw them at their warm up show thursday night. Being fair, they both got gassed pretty quickly, but they've only ever played a handful of shows. She's recently been taken on as YUNGBLUD's bassist, so who knows what the future really holds.

They are also supporting both Creeper and Youngblud on their next tours.  I really want to go to Creeper's London show now but the bloody standing tixs are sold out. 

7 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

Copping said this morning that none of the bands got paid. Don't blame wildhearts for walking off.

Video attached is from copping saying it.

Yeah they said so before the fests, it makes me wonder how much they made off the fest or if the goverment took it all. lol

Was a fantastic festival! Compact but queues were never unbearable for anything

Some highlights for me were Boston Manor, Creeper, Enter Shikari, Frank Turner & Skindred. Atmosphere was brilliant all weekend, though the Saturday hangover was pretty awful!

Highlights - being in a crowd again, holding absence, Frank Carter, shikari, vukovi, a (for the slow walk circle pits), loathe, elvana, skindred, Frank turner, the security guy at cocktail bar, spontaneous aerobics class at cocktail bar, the warm showers, outrageous shapes at the silent disco, the site layout, the surprisingly fine weather, our camping neighbours 

Lowlights - bfmv (stop doing drum solos), toilet queues, silent disco queues, Saturday silent disco set with horrible dnb remixes of nu metal, sound cutting out on main stage a few times, temperature at night

All in all the best weekend for the past 2 years. The atmosphere was incredible, the music was generally excellent and the organisation was top tier. Can we go back to normality now 

33 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Highlights - being in a crowd again, holding absence, Frank Carter, shikari, vukovi, a (for the slow walk circle pits), loathe, elvana, skindred, Frank turner, the security guy at cocktail bar, spontaneous aerobics class at cocktail bar, the warm showers, outrageous shapes at the silent disco, the site layout, the surprisingly fine weather, our camping neighbours 

Lowlights - bfmv (stop doing drum solos), toilet queues, silent disco queues, Saturday silent disco set with horrible dnb remixes of nu metal, sound cutting out on main stage a few times, temperature at night

All in all the best weekend for the past 2 years. The atmosphere was incredible, the music was generally excellent and the organisation was top tier. Can we go back to normality now 

That DnB/Dub/Trap set was by far my favourite of the weekend at the silent disco 😂 it was a proper party atmosphere; everyone was losing their heads. 

26 minutes ago, thetime said:

You lucky buggers seemed to have had a great time, wonderful stuff.

Words honestly can’t describe how good it was. Just felt brilliant to be in a crowd watching bands enjoy themselves and bring surrounded by like minded people who were making the most of the weekend.     Sincerely hope that when the results are in, there’s evidence to at least get some outdoor events going. This no gigs shit can’t go on much longer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Red Day said:

Words honestly can’t describe how good it was. Just felt brilliant to be in a crowd watching bands enjoy themselves and bring surrounded by like minded people who were making the most of the weekend.     Sincerely hope that when the results are in, there’s evidence to at least get some outdoor events going. This no gigs shit can’t go on much longer.

I’ve been thinking about it at all and I think it’s the best festival I’ve ever been to. 

• Upvote 1