Download Fest Pilot

Dukey

3 minutes ago, Galactus said:

I hope you're right and this is kind of how I've been looking at it. Can't speak for myself but that line up is not going to appeal to a lot of downloaders which is fair enough. I agree @lukecork about people just wanting to get back to normality but for the sake of this just being a stripped back pilot event basically enabling the go ahead of the other festivals this summer I'm guessing people will pass on it.

I've already seen countless comments about people saying they're either busy during that time (it is short notice for a lot of people to commit to be fair), or they're busy for Download 2022 so unable to get first dibs on the pilot. Not to mention the euros is on, people have already booked to go away on holiday especially considering restrictions are supposed to be lifted that Monday.

My wishful thinking anyway as I'm desperate to go 😄

Fingers crossed for you, hope you get some tickets!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ilikesimpsons said:

Frank Turner has a gig in Bideford on the Sunday so will be hard for him to be in Donnington too?

Great spot. Bideford to Donnington is a 4 hour drive too so unless Frank's on the mega bucks now and can fly between the 2 then something has to give...

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

He's playing early afternoon at this and then going down to the other event after to headline it at night time 🙂 

And there's my answer 😄

Edited by Galactus

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

🙂 

This lineup is stunning for me, personally. Absolutely unreal. I will be crossing everything in hope that I manage to get tickets in the presale on Tuesday. 

Twitter is full of comments saying "it's the best lineup in years and it's only the pilot" etc. Hope FR take note, they've freshened it up here

2 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Twitter is full of comments saying "it's the best lineup in years and it's only the pilot" etc. Hope FR take note, they've freshened it up here

Agreed. These are the bands that should be populating the top two stages every year. 

Just now, williamxturner said:

Strong agree with this. Haven’t been this excited over a DL in years.

You'd take a weaker lineup of fresh, new bands like most of the above acts over the same recycled headline/upper tier bands all day long. There's so much new British and US talent these days and the people clearly want to see them, genuinely don't know what's stopping FR at this point, they've been in need of a refresh for years!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Not really. Nothing for metal fans at all. 

I’m not as clued up as I once was on the metal scene, but as far as the heavier side of the British music scene goes has there really been many breakout purely ‘metal’ acts as of late? None come to mind at all and it seems like America and elsewhere are where that stuff generally comes from.

3 hours ago, Galactus said:

Great spot. Bideford to Donnington is a 4 hour drive too so unless Frank's on the mega bucks now and can fly between the 2 then something has to give...

And there's my answer 😄

Just cancelled the Sunday show in Bideford too

1 hour ago, Spiral_Low said:

That's my point, Download have booked the same bands year after year instead of taking chances on new talent. If there's not many up-and-coming metal bands about then they shouldn't force it by booking the same bands every year. Obviously DL has its roots in metal but it'll die a slow death by not staying with the times

3 minutes ago, gabrielomachado said:

imagine a year with BMTH, Architects, ADTR, Shikari, Frank Carter, Ghost, Parkway Drive, Rival Sons, all taking high spots

That's great, but who's taking the high slots the year after? 

Download needs a blend of old & new, hopefully this will be the start of that. I'd be interested to know if Andy & the usual team booked this line up, or if Melvin Benn & co had more of an influence. 

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I’m not as clued up as I once was on the metal scene, but as far as the heavier side of the British music scene goes has there really been many breakout purely ‘metal’ acts as of late? None come to mind at all and it seems like America and elsewhere are where that stuff generally comes from.

Tesseract are probs the biggest metal band of late from UK. Other ones largely snapped by bloodstock. All im disagreeing with is the idea that Download should 'take note for future' when this lineup only really targets one segement of the crowd.

55 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

That's my point, Download have booked the same bands year after year instead of taking chances on new talent. If there's not many up-and-coming metal bands about then they shouldn't force it by booking the same bands every year. Obviously DL has its roots in metal but it'll die a slow death by not staying with the times

I dont have a problem with 'freshening up', i'm just pointing out that the metal crowd makes up a big part of the overall Download crowd and theres very few metal bands here. Its more like a 2000 Trees line up than a Download one....and 2000 Trees is nowhere near as big as Download. I totally get and agree that its good for this year but a baseline for the future? Nah. 

Edited by Spiral_Low

3 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

I've literally got Creeper that I'd bother with. Maybe Skindred. Twin Atlantic back in the day.

1 hour ago, gabrielomachado said:

this lineup is freshing and exciting as the main festival should be

imagine a year with BMTH, Architects, ADTR, Shikari, Frank Carter, Ghost, Parkway Drive, Rival Sons, all taking high spots

You known most of them have been booked recent enough by Download apart from BMTH and Architects.

45 minutes ago, 504329lt said:

Anyone have any idea how much the RIP campervan upgrade will be?

Really want to go to this, DL is the new Reading

Yeah I wouldn't go that far. Reading rock lineups looked nothing like this.