Download Fest Pilot

Dukey

43 minutes ago, iistroudley said:

How do people think the ticketing will work? All 10k given to those who have download tickets and any left will go on general sale or a select amount for both?

I imagine there'll be an allowance for each, much like any presale. For events like this, particularly ones for scientific research where they need a broad sample size, they have to give the general public access to tickets. It kind of defeats the object otherwise.

Edited by 6daviesdr

27 minutes ago, 6daviesdr said:

I imagine there'll be an allowance for each, much like any presale. For events like this, particularly ones for scientific research where they need a broad sample size, they have to give the general public access to tickets. It kind of defeats the object otherwise.

Hope you’re right, I’m chancing it with general sale, don’t like my chances with how many other people will be in the same boat but hey ho!

9 minutes ago, iistroudley said:

Hope you’re right, I’m chancing it with general sale, don’t like my chances with how many other people will be in the same boat but hey ho!

Same here. I can't book DL22 as I've already got plans. So unless someone kindly floats me a presale code they're not using, I'll be chancing gen sale too.

2 hours ago, 6daviesdr said:

How would giving all tickets to people who have 2022 tickets not be a broad sample size?

Peopel who have tickets for next year are still the ‘general public’ in terms of Covid sampling.

2 hours ago, 6daviesdr said:

While getting a valid cross-section of people is definitely important in data gathering, I don't think there's any distinction to be made on that specific point. They're all general public, and likely to be demographically similar regardless of whether they inadvertently managed to end up in a priority group for tickets or not.

To me it wouldn't make sense to hold any tickets back for the general sale - it'd just be a way of pissing off existing ticket holders if they thought they'd been promised priority but missed out to people who didn't have it.

43 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

How would giving all tickets to people who have 2022 tickets not be a broad sample size?

Peopel who have tickets for next year are still the ‘general public’ in terms of Covid sampling.

Well, thinking about it, I suppose it wouldn't make THAT much difference either way. I'm just saying they'd want the broadest sample of participants possible, so I can't see all tickets being made available to DL22 ticketholders initially.

Not to pigeonhole anyone, but the fully fledged Download Festival does certainly cater to a certain demographic. With this pilot being limited in size and scope, it's likely to attract people who wouldn't typically consider going.

Particularly if you take in account the cost, short notice and the fact that some people will just opt to go purely because it's the first proper UK live music event in 15+ months.

Limiting sales to what could effectively be only DL22 ticketholders would be a little short sighted considering (in part) this is a pilot event to test how comfortable the british public are with the concept (and the effects) of large scale live events returning with no social distancing etc...

Regardless, I'm sure there are rules and restrictions in place for presale allocations for any public event in the UK to be honest. Equal rights to sale, lack of discrimination and all that.

Edited by 6daviesdr

3 minutes ago, 6daviesdr said:

Regardless, I'm sure there are rules and restrictions in place for presale allocations for a public event to be honest. Equal rights to sale, lack of discrimination and all that.

There's not. They can sell 100% of tickets in a pre-sale if they want, indeed I suspect that more than a few concerts have done so in the past and that it's becoming increasingly common. As long as they don't distinguish by any of the protected characteristics they can pretty much distribute/sell their tickets how they want.

57 minutes ago, incident said:

While getting a valid cross-section of people is definitely important in data gathering, I don't think there's any distinction to be made on that specific point. They're all general public, and likely to be demographically similar regardless of whether they inadvertently managed to end up in a priority group for tickets or not.

To me it wouldn't make sense to hold any tickets back for the general sale - it'd just be a way of pissing off existing ticket holders if they thought they'd been promised priority but missed out to people who didn't have it.

I see your point on the latter of your statement there. I know this isn't a typical scenario, but can you honestly think of an event where tickets are fully open to the general public (particularly a festival) when the entire ticket allocation has been sold at presale stage leaving nothing for general sale?

I'm not going to pretend I go to every event out there, but I do go to alot, and I can't. Limited availability, yes. But not zero tickets. Otherwise there would effectively be no general sale taking place.

Ticketholders will get priority access (first "dibs"), so first chance at tickets, but that's nothing new. Fan clubs and O2 etc.. have been doing that for as long as I can remember. The allocation simply sells out or ceases sale, and any remainder goes on sale to gen pop along with their allocation. It's only my opinion of course, but I don't see this being any different.

Edited by 6daviesdr

4 minutes ago, 6daviesdr said:

I know this isn't a typical scenario, but can you honestly think of an event where tickets are fully open to the general public (particularly a festival) when the entire ticket allocation has been sold at presale stage leaving nothing for general sale?

Parklife did, a couple months ago.

6 minutes ago, incident said:

Parklife did, a couple months ago.

Really? The entire festival sold out at presale stage? Or was it just that they were sold out for 2020 and those tickets rolled over (less any cancellations)?

Not being funny, but how can anyone really know for sure tickets weren't released for gen sale, i suppose unless the festival said as much? A small excess could easily have been snapped up immediately as per usual.

7 minutes ago, 6daviesdr said:

Really? The entire festival sold out at presale stage? Or was it just that they were sold out for 2020 and those tickets rolled over (less any cancellations)?

Not being funny, but how can anyone really know for sure tickets weren't released for gen sale, i suppose unless the festival said as much? A small excess could easily have been snapped up immediately as per usual.

I don't know if or how many rolled over from 2020 - but they literally announced that General Sale was cancelled.

Here's a story on it - https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/parklife-fans-say-festival-absolutely-20244067

Edited by incident

Just now, incident said:

I don't know if or how many rolled over from 2020 - but they literally announced that General Sale was cancelled.

I wasn't aware of that, so colour me ignorant there. 2020 tickets were rolled over though according to their social media, so that'll have played large factor. It was a publicly open presale as well, rather than the closed to DL22 ticketholders this pilot would be. It's not quite comparable in my opinion, but you're not wrong.

6 hours ago, 6daviesdr said:

I wasn't aware of that, so colour me ignorant there. 2020 tickets were rolled over though according to their social media, so that'll have played large factor. It was a publicly open presale as well, rather than the closed to DL22 ticketholders this pilot would be. It's not quite comparable in my opinion, but you're not wrong.

Yeah I recall Park life tickets never making it to general sale, also The Warehouse Project announced  a number of shows for September/October this week too, they sold a huge amount of tickets on pre sale, maybe like 75%+ so it only took seconds to sell out once they were on general sale.

Hi All, new here.

For whats it worth, I've been told that 75% of the tickets will go to pre-sale / 2022 holders. The remaining will go to general sale.

My worry is what the demand is going to be like. I'm assuming the x2 ticket per code is going to ease the stress of getting through.

33 minutes ago, Galactus said:

Hi All, new here.

For whats it worth, I've been told that 75% of the tickets will go to pre-sale / 2022 holders. The remaining will go to general sale.

My worry is what the demand is going to be like. I'm assuming the x2 ticket per code is going to ease the stress of getting through.

The demand will be through the roof I think as the festival is going from an audience of 110,000 to 10,000.

Not just that but look at how well festivals across the country are selling out, I think people just want to live a normal life again.

I'm not so certain about this being an instant sellout. With the vast majority of tickets being available to Download ticket holders, I don't think the lineup will appeal to a fair chunk of that audience at all. It's a very un-Download lineup. It's also only 3 weeks away, so a lot of people likely won't be able to wrangle that time off of work at such short notice and/or already have plans. Don't get me wrong; I think it'll sell out on the day but I don't think it'll be a login and they're already gone job. 

Edited by Andre91

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

I'm not so certain about this being an instant sellout. With the vast majority of tickets being available to Download ticket holders, I don't think the lineup will appeal to a fair chunk of that audience at all. It's a very un-Download lineup. It's also only 3 weeks away, so a lot of people likely won't be able to wrangle that time off of work at such short notice and/or already have plans. Don't get me wrong; I think it'll sell out on the day but I don't think it'll be a login and they're already gone job. 

That Blossoms pilot gig took a while to sell out, obviously not the same kettle of fish here but you might be right. Slam Dunk 2021 hasn't sold out and neither did 2000 Trees before it was postponed and this lineup is essentially a mash-up of those two festivals

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I hope you're right and this is kind of how I've been looking at it. Can't speak for myself but that line up is not going to appeal to a lot of downloaders which is fair enough. I agree @lukecork about people just wanting to get back to normality but for the sake of this just being a stripped back pilot event basically enabling the go ahead of the other festivals this summer I'm guessing people will pass on it.

I've already seen countless comments about people saying they're either busy during that time (it is short notice for a lot of people to commit to be fair), or they're busy for Download 2022 so unable to get first dibs on the pilot. Not to mention the euros is on, people have already booked to go away on holiday especially considering restrictions are supposed to be lifted that Monday.

My wishful thinking anyway as I'm desperate to go 😄