Efestivals Euro football thread

Ryan1984

I think they should do away with peno shootouts. Should do 10 mins a half in ET and then a decreasing number after extra time or "attacker defender goalkeeper" instead which would be my first choice.

Italy were so good defensively though. Apart from the goal England only had 1 shot on target in the next two hours. 

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

Just heard a woman in Tesco say....

”Rashford should have kicked it better”.

One good thing about the tournament ending is that these kind of morons will go back to watching Eastenders. 

To be fair to Tesco lady Rashford should have kicked it better.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I HAD AN IDEA!!!!

I saw a stat earlier about the England squad's experience of taking pens in competition conditions. Of the 11 outfield players on the pitch at the end of extra time, 4-5 had never taken a penalty before. Those who had:

Sterling 5 (missed 3)
Sancho 3
Kane 40+
Rashford 15
Grealish 1

How can you expect players to be able to perform a skill they've literally never had to do before, under the most intense pressure they've probably ever experienced?

Which gave me an idea - a parallel penalty premier league.

At the end o every premier league match teams take part in a penalty shootout. Incentives for managers to let EQPs take pens. Three points for a win, goes towards a separate premier league penalty table with prize money to make it worthwhile. Doesn't impact on normal premier league table. 

Entertaining for fans. 

What do you think? 

I don't think people would take it seriously and it's not really about the experience of kicking the ball into the net, it's about the pressure of having to do it which this probably wouldn't replicate.

2 minutes ago, mcshed said:

If the environment around England is so toxic that one of their strikers can't take a penalty for fear of missing then something is terribly wrong with you lot. Sterling should be taking a penalty. Shaw scored his against Villarreal so he can't be that bad. Fair play to Grealish if he did say he wanted one, but from the footage of Southgate going round it kind of looks like Pickford was going to be number 6, which seems like a lot of the rest were shitebags.

Shaw's penalty against Villarreal was awful, he was lucky it went in. Also he was 8th or 9th choice & he's only scored about 3 goals in his career - I nearly fell off my chair when he scored last night. Absolutely no way should he be one of the first 5.

Obviously speaking completely in hindsight, but as the senior penalty taker and captain, Kane should have been 4th or 5th on the list for me.
I get wanting to get off to a strong start, but there is no denying the nerves get more intense as you move down the list of takers and the stakes get higher. Whether it’s the win the match, or stay in it. 

40 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Could you imagine how big the fall out would be if Sterling missed tho, it’s absolutely awful now but he’s the media’s go to scapegoat. And Shaw can’t take pens supposedly he’s crap. Grealish put his name forward is what suprises me he’s come out and said that on Twitter. It should’ve been Saka 3rd, Rashford then Grealish and the Sancho.

If shaw is so bad at pens why was he still on the pitch at the end when he tooK Henderson off instead. Madness 

7 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Shaw's penalty against Villarreal was awful, he was lucky it went in. Also he was 8th or 9th choice & he's only scored about 3 goals in his career - I nearly fell off my chair when he scored last night. Absolutely no way should he be one of the first 5.

Fine not to single him, but the more experienced players leaving it to Saka reeks of cowardice.

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Has a keeper ever taken a pen in the first 5 ? I’ve only ever see them going 11th

Pickford took one for England took one against Switzerland in the Nations League, think he took the 4th or 5th

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Has a keeper ever taken a pen in the first 5 ? I’ve only ever see them going 11th

Chilavert used to take penalties and free-kicks but I'm not sure he was ever in a shoot out. I'm sure I've seen keepers step up 9th or 10th rather than 11th but can't think of a first 5.

6 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Fine not to single him, but the more experienced players leaving it to Saka reeks of cowardice.

Grealish tweeted today to say he volunteered to take one, which suggests Southgate picked the ‘lucky five’ (which, to be fair, he has taken responsibility for).

Shall we talk about what a feast of football and incredible tournament it has been? It had everything.

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Rogerio Ceni and Hans Jorg Butt come to mind, they use to take penalties during normal time.

12 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

If shaw is so bad at pens why was he still on the pitch at the end when he tooK Henderson off instead. Madness 

Henderson missed that penalty against Romania back in June, that may have been the reason he went off.

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

Grealish tweeted today to say he volunteered to take one, which suggests Southgate picked the ‘lucky five’ (which, to be fair, he has taken responsibility for).

Shall we talk about what a feast of football and incredible tournament it has been? It had everything.

Great tournament, great to be at a tournament again for us, really enjoyed the final, really enjoyed penalties, really enjoying the aftermath and great to see that the only one who managed a clean sheet against the mighty England was this man:

download (21).jpeg

Gareth Southgate has done a job that goes far beyond kicking a sack of air around a football pitch , hes fronted tough decisions on and off the pitch and should be celebrated for that .... he took a bunch of kids to the final of the Euros and only lost on penalties to a side that was unbeaten in 30 + games and the semi finals before that .... this is the first tournament in memory I cant remember one of the squad becoming a focus of the media from poor behaviour ... and thats a credit to Gareth 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Gareth Southgate has done a job that goes far beyond kicking a sack of air around a football pitch , hes fronted tough decisions on and off the pitch and should be celebrated for that .... he took a bunch of kids to the final of the Euros and only lost on penalties to a side that was unbeaten in 30 + games and the semi finals before that .... this is the first tournament in memory I cant remember one of the squad becoming a focus of the media from poor behaviour ... and thats a credit to Gareth 

Definitely a credit to Gareth, but I said last night - is there more positivity around it all as the media haven't been able to be in the camp like they usually are at other tournaments pre-COVID?

50 minutes ago, jump said:

I don't think people would take it seriously and it's not really about the experience of kicking the ball into the net, it's about the pressure of having to do it which this probably wouldn't replicate.

That's my point - make the penalty premier league a proper thing and it replicates *some* of the pressure. Obviously it's never going to be as intense, but it's something. 

2 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

That's my point - make the penalty premier league a proper thing and it replicates *some* of the pressure. Obviously it's never going to be as intense, but it's something. 

The Community Shield is a proper thing but no one takes that seriously.