Efestivals Euro football thread

Ryan1984

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

Gutted

first 20 minutes we had them sussed and should have capitilsed on that, we always needed a 2 goal cushion. Still I am no pro footballer so no idea  what goes through the head when you score early

Sadly we reacted to slowly to Mancinis tackle change in the second half. If we had been swifter it may have been different, you could see as soon as they did they had us and only a matter of time. Maybe something learned.

Still in a final and 1-1 against the best side in the tournament  is not bad. 

I have certainly enjoyed the ride and that is all you can ask for really.

When you score that early its more emotional because the energy is high since youre at home. It then turned into a destiny kind of situation where you just close up and hold on for dear life because it seems you did what you had to and score to get ahead. But they gave Italy an hour to sort it out and finally broke through to tie it up. Then England finally decided to push forward again and only had a couple of true chances to score. Italy couldve won in regulation and overtime if they executed a little cleaner. It happened on Saturday with Brazil against Argentina. Brazil was at home and are usually unbeatable but they just couldnt convert. Even in the closing minutes Argentina was trying to shut the door on Brazil and Messi missed his chance on an easy goal.

19 minutes ago, henry bear said:

He’s taken England further than any manager since Alf Ramsey, and they’re playing better than they have for years. Yes, maybe you can question one or two of his choices yesterday, but presumably the players that missed those penalties had put themselves forward to be in that position.

Yeah I’m not denying that, just think that was such a huge chance to win being at home but he never seemed to truly believe they could win it based on his approach imo.

11 minutes ago, EssexIndie said:

that's what its about - hope you both had a great time. 

He's not stopped talking about it since he got up half an hour ago, it was a late one getting in at 2am!

I've seen a couple of videos this morning of violence but our experience was totally different.  The fans were brilliant with my lad, making way for us, letting us go first in crowds, chatting to him and cheering with him, they were very respectful.  Our fans get a bad name and I can see why but that definitely is a small minority.

Yeah we scored way too early, even 20 minutes later and I think we could be saying something different this morning. I said last night that Mount was the key man for us yesterday but unfortunately he had the worst game I’ve seen him play, but I mean he has set such high standards. Starting him on the right was an odd decision, Sancho causes more problems for the slow CBs and makes more sense. I understand the back 5 and think we would’ve seen a different performance had we not started so well (seems to be a theme: see Croatia 2018). I obviously have a couple of critiques of Gareth last night we all do, but changing to a back 4 that early didn’t sit right with me, especially as it meant brining Saka on in the biggest game of his life, Grealish came on too late as did Rashford and Sancho, and as many have said I think the pressure was on them as they literally had one job. I personally would’ve backed Hendo and John Stones to have scored penalties yesterday, I think they’d both do similar to Maguire (btw what a pen, my POTT behind Sterling I think). It’s obviously a tough pill to swallow, it was the perfect opportunity, it was going to be the perfect night but unfortunately it wasn’t to be and it’s just highlighted the sheer idiocy that we possess in this country. The atmosphere seemed toxic here last night, there was just something not right in the air and I’m worried that this will get worse before it gets better. I’m fully behind the boys and Southgate, I had my doubts but they answered them and more, it’s been a wonderful month or so I’ve got to spend in the pub and dancing in the streets with my best mates. The celebrations after the Denmark game I will never ever forget. We have a team that can be at the top for another at least 2 tournaments, some of these players have another 10/15 years in them. We live and we learn and we go again in 2022. And now I just hope that something gets done about these vile racists who plague our nation.

sorry about the spiel guys

• Upvote 1

The first tournament I can remember watching was Italia ‘90. Although not a massive football fan, I’ve followed and supported the England team ever since. 

To the best of my memory I’ve never seen an England side play with the pride, dedication and togetherness shown through the 2018 WC and these Euros. It’s a team I’m genuinely happy to watch and support. 

That would be all hot air if the results were poor, but reaching a WC semi final and Euros final ain’t half bad. 

Personally I would take Southgate’s approach and the way he’s built this team 100% over any other top level manager the FA could conceivably appoint. 

After all, we tried top level “genius” managers in the past and where did it get us? Not this far, and with a lot of conflict, bad attitude and lack of team spirit. 

I don’t disagree that Southgate got a few tactical decisions wrong. But for me the good far, far outweighs the bad. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, gooner1990 said:

Oh and that behaviour on all fronts from people was embarrassing and shameful for us as a nation. 

We don’t deserve to host a World Cup

Exactly, I’d love to host one but the scenes would be awful, and as someone just said it’s the minority, many English fans, proper football fans not these wannabe hooligans would make it a tournament to remember, it’s a shame that the idiots would ruin it for the nation

i love seeing the pics fellas, thanks for putting them up 👍

probably an argument for another day, but i'd say all the crowd nonsense has stymied the chances of getting an entire tournament here for at least another generation

Edited by balti-pie

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

i love seeing the pics fellas, thanks for putting them up 👍

probably an argument for another day, but i'd say all the crowd nonsense has stymied the chances of getting an entire tournament here for at least another generation. Which is gutting for those of us who arent troglodyte w*nkers. 

Edit: oh ffs, what have i done here 😄 never mind me

Edited by balti-pie

16 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Where is that swarm of flying ants when you need them.

92BE552B-29E2-4BB1-B66F-4B7F39634E36.jpeg

Quote of the tournament from Football weekly podcast:

"Imagine being so into your hobby, that 8 hours before the biggest moment of your hobby you put a firework up your arse"

Southgate has got that weird thing where when things go well people love him but if things are mixed people haven’t got a good word to say about him.

Horrible position to be in. I genuinely thought England fought hard to the end and we didn’t go to penalties by accident. Someone has to win at the end of the day. It’s shit I know. It wasn’t us this time… but you can’t say that they did a half arsed job. If we did do a half arsed job Italy would have walked us. They are not a team who goes easy on their opponents. 

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Southgate has got that weird thing where when things go well people love him but if things are mixed people haven’t got a good word to say about him.

Horrible position to be in. I genuinely thought England fought hard to the end and we didn’t go to penalties by accident. Someone has to win at the end of the day. It’s shit I know. It wasn’t us this time… but you can’t say that did a half arsed job. If we did do a half arsed job Italy would have walked us. They are not a team who goes easy on their opponents. 

To be fair, don’t think many are slagging him or calling for his head, just a case of wanting to see us be a bit more positive and find a better way of utilising the riches of attacking talent we have. 
No issues with how he approaches the games or his starting lineup/tactics picked to match the opposition, but there is no denying his in game substitutions could be better managed. 

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If England had won those penalties Southgate would have been a tactical genius this morning, but they didn't, so he's shit.

I thought as be brought on Rashford and Sancho for the penalties he was inserting himself a huge amount into that contest. If it works it was him that did it, if it fails he looks a mug.

2 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I thought as be brought on Rashford and Sancho for the penalties he was inserting himself a huge amount into that contest. If it works it was him that did it, if it fails he looks a mug.

yeah...really didn't work out at all did it! I assume they had been practising penalites loads and he picked the 5 who were most confident. Suprised not to see Shaw or Sterling in those 5. Penalties so shit though, makes it all about individuals and not the team, just toss a coin for chrissake. Maybe best of 3. Would be exciting.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah...really didn't work out at all did it! I assume they had been practising penalites loads and he picked the 5 who were most confident. Suprised not to see Shaw or Sterling in those 5. Penalties so shit though, makes it all about individuals and not the team, just toss a coin for chrissake. Maybe best of 3. Would be exciting.

The likes of Shaw and Sterling should have a word with themselves about letting Saka take that penalty, highest pressure kick in English footballing history and they put that on a teenager.

Disagree about scrapping penalities though, it's quality drama.

What an unbelievable rollercoaster of a 36 or so hours, from only finding out my mate had managed to get tickets on Saturday evening, to the absolutely incredible, almost unreal, atmosphere on Wembley Way before the game, to the sheer elation of scoring so early, to the unbearable tension of the following two hours, to finally, fittingly, having the rug pulled out from under us in the cruellest possible way, to being part of a huge, dejected crowd heading to/getting on the tube and heading home, to the feeling of near total emptiness on waking up this morning.

Still, I wouldn't trade any of it for the world.

20210711_192849.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If England had won those penalties Southgate would have been a tactical genius this morning, but they didn't, so he's shit.

Not convince people are saying he is shit. Not sure about all this people must take an opposite extreme view, weird.

he has to learning from it, which we all have to when things don't go right and I am sure he will. 

24 minutes ago, mcshed said:

The likes of Shaw and Sterling should have a word with themselves about letting Saka take that penalty, highest pressure kick in English footballing history and they put that on a teenager.

Disagree about scrapping penalities though, it's quality drama.

Could you imagine how big the fall out would be if Sterling missed tho, it’s absolutely awful now but he’s the media’s go to scapegoat. And Shaw can’t take pens supposedly he’s crap. Grealish put his name forward is what suprises me he’s come out and said that on Twitter. It should’ve been Saka 3rd, Rashford then Grealish and the Sancho.

I HAD AN IDEA!!!!

I saw a stat earlier about the England squad's experience of taking pens in competition conditions. Of the 11 outfield players on the pitch at the end of extra time, 4-5 had never taken a penalty before. Those who had:

Sterling 5 (missed 3)
Sancho 3
Kane 40+
Rashford 15
Grealish 1

How can you expect players to be able to perform a skill they've literally never had to do before, under the most intense pressure they've probably ever experienced?

Which gave me an idea - a parallel penalty premier league.

At the end o every premier league match teams take part in a penalty shootout. Incentives for managers to let EQPs take pens. Three points for a win, goes towards a separate premier league penalty table with prize money to make it worthwhile. Doesn't impact on normal premier league table. 

Entertaining for fans. 

What do you think? 

15 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Could you imagine how big the fall out would be if Sterling missed tho, it’s absolutely awful now but he’s the media’s go to scapegoat. And Shaw can’t take pens supposedly he’s crap. Grealish put his name forward is what suprises me he’s come out and said that on Twitter. It should’ve been Saka 3rd, Rashford then Grealish and the Sancho.

If the environment around England is so toxic that one of their strikers can't take a penalty for fear of missing then something is terribly wrong with you lot. Sterling should be taking a penalty. Shaw scored his against Villarreal so he can't be that bad. Fair play to Grealish if he did say he wanted one, but from the footage of Southgate going round it kind of looks like Pickford was going to be number 6, which seems like a lot of the rest were shitebags.