Efestivals Euro football thread

Ryan1984

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

Pickford at fault for the goal?

Definitely, when a keeper dives at almost full stretch for a ball that’s not far from the centre of the goal, then questions have to be asked about his positioning.
But he’s had a very good tournament otherwise so it’s all good!

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

Definitely, when a keeper dives at almost full stretch for a ball that’s not far from the centre of the goal, then questions have to be asked about his positioning.
But he’s had a very good tournament otherwise so it’s all good!

He was definitely a little off yesterday.

Out of position for the goal, a few misplaced passes etc. Probably down to nerves. 

Made a couple of good saves as well. 

39 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s a cultural thing, we breed generation after generation of morons who think it’s alright to act like c**ts in the name of football.

Yep. I went to France five years ago. We walked into Lille for an afternoon beer and the first thing we saw/heard was people chanting 'f@ck off ISIS' (?!). Ended up being teargassed twice just by association. 

Was a lot more fun a few days before in Paris when we went to the Republic v Sweden match. Fans were mixing there, singing and having some beers.

3 minutes ago, nikkic said:

He was definitely a little off yesterday.

Out of position for the goal, a few misplaced passes etc. Probably down to nerves. 

Made a couple of good saves as well. 

That one low to his right which it transpired was offside was v good.

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yep. I went to France five years ago. We walked into Lille for an afternoon beer and the first thing we saw/heard was people chanting 'f@ck off ISIS' (?!). Ended up being teargassed twice just by association. 

Was a lot more fun a few days before in Paris when we went to the Republic v Sweden match. Fans were mixing there, singing and having some beers.

Germany 2006 I went to England v Paraguay in Frankfurt then a day later Portugal v Angola in Cologne.

The difference in general behaviour was astounding....as you might imagine in Frankfurt it was mostly WW2 stuff, general loutish behaviour and abusing locals.

On the sunday we spent the afternoon on the waterfront in Cologne and lot of the Angola fans were from the UK and were great fun.

Edited by gooner1990

I think Pickford has been great this tournament, last night wasn't his best game but up until then he hasn't let us down.  People rave about the Brazilian keepers' distribution but Pickford's is just as good, he did slice a couple last night but they were put on his right which is his weaker foot. 

I did say last night Pickford and Stones are good for an error, hopefully Pickford got his out of the way last night, fingers crossed Stones saves his for the first game of the Premiership season!

i was in Paris in 2016 for the Ireland/Sweden match and the Romania/Switzerland match, and there were a few different countries playing in Paris while i was there - Turkish, Croatian, plus of course all the French fans everywhere - not a single cross word or agitation was witnessed whatsoever, in about six days (i even got to go to Download Paris for a day and watch Rammstein, it was brilliant timing for during a tournament!).

Then a pile of England fans turned up and took over the fanpark by the eiffel tower, to watch the match with Wales on my last day - fights, nonsense, drunken bollocks all over the shop. Completely different atmosphere in the city. I've had several moments of losing interest in England due to the knobheads and this was the most recent. Just turning six days of blissful pan-european coexistence into thuggery, with one particular country's fans turning up. . . 

Anyways, slightly miserable, apologies! i watch England matches with a much more neutral eye these days, and accordingly its actually a lot more enjoyable - less tension, less dread, and if they happen to lose then i'm not really too bothered. From my neutral eyes then, england deserved to win last night - ok it came through an own goal and a ropey penalty, but they were the better team from about the hour onwards. The two best teams in the tournament are contesting the final, and there's an absolute fag paper between them - i couldnt pick a winner for the life of me. I dont wanna sound like a twat but i really am just hoping for a wonderful game 🤣

Just now, balti-pie said:

i was in Paris in 2016 for the Ireland/Sweden match and the Romania/Switzerland match, and there were a few different countries playing in Paris while i was there - Turkish, Croatian, plus of course all the French fans everywhere - not a single cross word or agitation was witnessed whatsoever, in about six days (i even got to go to Download Paris for a day and watch Rammstein, it was brilliant timing for during a tournament!).

Then a pile of England fans turned up and took over the fanpark by the eiffel tower, to watch the match with Wales on my last day - fights, nonsense, drunken bollocks all over the shop. Completely different atmosphere in the city. I've had several moments of losing interest in England due to the knobheads and this was the most recent. Just turning six days of blissful pan-european coexistence into thuggery, with one particular country's fans turning up. . . 

Anyways, slightly miserable, apologies! i watch England matches with a much more neutral eye these days, and accordingly its actually a lot more enjoyable - less tension, less dread, and if they happen to lose then i'm not really too bothered. From my neutral eyes then, england deserved to win last night - ok it came through an own goal and a ropey penalty, but they were the better team from about the hour onwards. The two best teams in the tournament are contesting the final, and there's an absolute fag paper between them - i couldnt pick a winner for the life of me. I dont wanna sound like a twat but i really am just hoping for a wonderful game 🤣

They’re the 2 games I went to see too (also had tickets to N Ire vs Ukraine but we got so drunk the night before we slept and missed our train)

1 of my perfect examples of England fans behaviour was during a day in Paris.  We walked down towards the fan park and there were thousands of Romanian fans walking/chanting/clapping all together in some sort of parade…. Absolutely brilliant! Then walk another 10 mins and a group of England fans standing on the corner outside a nice little coffee shop throwing glass bottles in the air and smashing them! Idiots.  

44 minutes ago, st dan said:

Team selection will be key on Sunday -  not sure if we’ll go for a back 3/5, or if we’ll try and match them in midfield with a 4-3-3.
Stopping them dominating in the middle of the park is vital - we can’t afford to sit off and let Veratti, Jorginho and Barella pick us apart. 

I think Spain did really well to nullify Veratti for large periods of the game by having Koke man mark him, we could do the same with Phillips, and have Mount stay on Jorginho. 

I thought the behaviour on a whole last night was very good, there's always going to be the odd helmet but everyone around me were great.

Leaving the ground there were a group of screechy girls berating Denmark fans, shouting "Denmark are sh*t", totally uncalled for and got the impression they weren't really proper football fans.

5 minutes ago, Haan said:

I think Spain did really well to nullify Veratti for large periods of the game by having Koke man mark him, we could do the same with Phillips, and have Mount stay on Jorginho. 

Yep agreed, I wouldn’t be surprised if Southgate is thinking along those lines too. If we set up to do that with the same line up and formation as last night - I think Saka, Sterling and Kane will give the Italians a lot to think about at the back. 

Scotland game was fine, good atmosphere, banter and mingling between fans, little or no trouble or obnoxiousness. From what I saw anyway.

Germany was great in terms of atmosphere, the odd idiot singing about bombers but nothing too bad and easily ignored.

Last night the idiot count seemed to be much, much higher. Obviously bigger capacity brings more of them out but I think also last night there were loads there without tickets hanging around being twats.

It'll be worse on Sunday.

I had a ticket for last night, then had to come to my senses and return it after I had spunked a load of money going to the Czech Rep and Germany games, plus I have one for the final.  Just couldn't afford all of it, so I gambled that England would get through and it paid off.

This however meant I had to watch the game in a pub as I didn't fancy it on my own at home...so went with one other mate to a pub in my town.  90% of people were just normal fans getting into it, but then came the group of girls who had reserved the prime table in the middle of the room dead centre in front of the big screen.

One of them I sort of know as I know one of her brothers and I said hello, she's ok but as far as i know not much of a football fan...then the game started...they were playing on their phones, filming everyone watching the game for their Instagram stories, then they started getting bored and started chatting about other stuff, then they got really bored and two of them turned their chairs around to chat to the others.  One bloke said to the barman tounge in cheek if he could have their table as they clearly weren't bothered about it.

Denmark got a free kick and of course half of them didn't realise as they were chatting about what they were going to do that weekend, which was of course getting really annoying for my mate who was right next to them, Denmark score and one says to my mate how did that happen 'errr there was a free kick given' 

Game goes on and they then pay some interest, except now they are screeching and jumping up every time England get the ball over the halfway line as they seem to think that we will score at every attack, England equalise and they scream the place down jumping in front of everyone waving their Sports Direct England flag shouting 'its coming home' repeatedly.....extra time, they get bored and are now just not even watching the game, then the penalty is given and repeat the celebrations for the equaliser.

Full time and they are on their seats shouting 'three lions on a shirt' whilst the one I know also trying to facetime her brother (who I know) then start shouting at the barman who refuses to serve them anymore as the bar is closing 'what's your facking problem mate come on England have won'

They then left in search of more drink as I went to drive home.

This is why i much prefer either being at home or in a stadium!!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Scotland game was fine, good atmosphere, banter and mingling between fans, little or no trouble or obnoxiousness. From what I saw anyway.

Germany was great in terms of atmosphere, the odd idiot singing about bombers but nothing too bad and easily ignored.

Last night the idiot count seemed to be much, much higher. Obviously bigger capacity brings more of them out but I think also last night there were loads there without tickets hanging around being twats.

It'll be worse on Sunday.

Key point in bold.