Efestivals Euro football thread

Ryan1984

I think what I realised yesterday was that if you visit other countries, their biggest concern is that you like their country/culture (New Zealand is a great example of this).

If foreigners are in England, a lot of people's biggest concern is proving that we're better than them.

Edited by Homer
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not AS embarrassing?

When has getting to a final and losing in pens ever been embarrassing?

... yeah fair comment. I can admit the word "Embarrassing" is not the best choice of phrasing on my part. May be social media hyperbole. My bad. Losing on pens is kinda only really a humiliation if you miss every penalty in a shoot-out, which I think Switzerland did against Ukraine once.

But anyway, an England team that actually reaches the final after so long in the wilderness is something to be encouraged by, even if the conclusion was unfulfilling. There were some pretty good high drama games along the way as well. So I can see why there's optimism for developing something good for 2022 and meeting that ambition from years ago to win the whole thing, even if that'll be tough.

4 hours ago, waltere said:

The amount of times Sweet Caroline was played by people who'd brought their bluetooth speakers onto Wembley Way yesterday was absolutely insane, especially compared to some actual, long-established, England football anthems.

I just heard it on an advert & my immediate reaction was “too soon”, but then I thought sod it, it’s a song that captured the moment of an amazing journey with an amazing group of players who played for England like they were proud to represent the country - rather than the ‘golden generation’ who came across to me as seemingly doing us a favour by leaving their clubs to play for England for less money. 
Good times never felt so good. 

8 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

There was alot of discussion around the government ministers needing to apologise in pubic for past comments during the tv interview i was watching!!!! 

The likes of Johnson have contributed to the current climate. Not saying it’s the only or the biggest factor, but they have played a role in normalising and emboldening racists.

Well after having been at the Germany, Denmark and then the final i can certainly say the final was the biggest anti climax ive ever been a witness of. The atmosphere in central London for the previous 2 games was excellent as it was at Wembley. However Sunday was awful, it was like London had fallen to mob rule. People smashing glass, chucking bottles or anything they could find into crowds, doing coke in the street, general thuggery etc. Wembley Way was absolute carnage, glass everywhere and the idiots storming the stadium, its like they've never heard of Hillsborough?! Its remarkable nobody seems to have been seriously injured or killed. I sort of just got on with it Sunday as i was so focused on the match, but yesterday and today i couldn't feel more deflated and angry at the thugs who behaved like they did. I also woke up Monday with a horrible cough that's now been confirmed as covid so im' far from happy, almost certainly picked that up at Denmark on the tube after i suspect packed in like sardines and almost no bugger in a mask. 

What a huge comedown after what has been a fantastic few weeks otherwise. 

Edited by RossTC

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The likes of Johnson have contributed to the current climate. Not saying it’s the only or the biggest factor, but they have played a role in normalising and emboldening racists.

Absolutely and its scary the influence over our future generation!! 5 year olds shouldn't be asking their parents if they are allowed to support their favourite footballer or the England team because their own skin colour is different!! 
A minority spoiling it for a majority!! 
change happens if we all play a small part! 

35 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

100% - this horrendous government have been all too happy to leverage tacit racism when it serves as a wedge issue to help their goals i.e. Brexit. 

Criminally irresponsible and a total abdication of moral leadership. Once you’ve let racists out of their fetid little boxes it’s a lot of effort to stuff them back in again…

16 minutes ago, lemons said:

Presale  has started for Women's Euros next year. England opener at Old Trafford, final at Wembley . If you aren't otherwise interested in women's football could be a good chance to see those grounds at least 

Now that’s more like it. Might see if I can take my daughter to the opener 🙂

Ok, I've left this a couple of days as I stayed in London on Sunday night and then travelled back, and slept most of yesterday.

I got on a train from Oxford that was going directly to Wembley at around 12 noon on Sunday...when I got to Oxford station there were a lot of other people going to Wembley, but from listening to conversations there were not many with tickets, most of them were going to 'soak up the atmosphere' One group from Thame I spoke to there must have been about 15 of them they were booked in a pub back in Thame for the match but were just going down to Wembley to get 'fucking smashed' first.

As we got through the journey the train got more and more busy, and from High Wycombe onwards it was completly packed....idiots jumping about on the train shouting 'its coming home' every two seconds, drinking heavily, not wearing masks, opening snorting coke off keys/credit cards and general c**ty behaviour.

I was with two other friends and we were due to meet another two at our hotel entrance.....they met us about 1.30pm and had crossed over Wembley Way and showed us videos of it being like a warzone....bottles flying about, throwing beer, people urinating openly on the street, rubbish everywhere etc.

At that point we decided to stay at our hotel and had some food with some drink and watched the end of the tennis, I eventually went out onto by Wembley Way/Wembley Library at 6pm and by this point it was complete carnage...I'm sure you've seen most of the footage.  However by this point it was now a lot of drunk/coked up idiots rolling around on the floor, or being aggressive, and having seen all that we decided to go into the ground about 6.50pm.....we got to the COVID check where it was complete mayhem trying to get through the barriers with ticketless peoople trying to breach and poor stewards being made to feel indimitated by mindless idiots.

A lot of us were split apart in the ground, me and one other mate were entrance N, we were going past other entrances and it was all bottlenecked, people fighting, security and police streched to the point of not knowing what to do. 

As we got to our entrance it was about 7pm my mate said lets step back and see if it calms down....we went to the back of the outside concourse and looked over to see more people trying to get over barriers without tickets, others being dragged out who had no tickets and a big crowd trying to force open a disabled entrance.

We left it a few more minutes and then decided we just had to go for it and went to go in....no stewards on the gates, no stewards the other side, and no body check once in.... The reason why soon became apparent, because they were too busy rolling around on the floor with people who had got in without tickets and were being ejected. 

We got to our seats which were near the back of the lower tier...lots of people in the gangways without tickets. Our seats were at the front of the bulkhead so people were stood in front of us as they had no tickets, we repeatedly asked them to move or duck down a little so we could see....very annoying given we'd both spent north of £500 on a ticket. 

Just before the game started the guy who was in the seat to our right arrived, seemed ok to start with but then a british asian man came past in his england shirt and the guy says 'what's he fucking doing here, he's not even english' then when the teams were read out he called Raheem Sterling 'a fucking black c**t' , my mate was that disgusted with it he left our seats at half time and went and stood elsewhere.

The game happened and well not much to stay there, I immediatly went back to our hotel for drinks....and well I tried to sleep except I didn't get much due to the amount of people banging about in the corridors, shouting about which room they were in or going to...TVs on loud in other rooms all night, at one point I looked out of my room and there were two prostitutes trying to get into another room on my floor. Think I eventually got to sleep at 4am and had to get up at 8.30am to catch my train home.

Why was there no exclusion zone within a mile or so if you didn't have a ticket?  Why can't c**ts accept that if you don't have a ticket you can't go in?  Why do these people have to jump on the bandwagon at the exact point the entire world is watching and show how shameful we are as a nation again?  What is it with our country?  

I've been all over the world watching Arsenal and England and that was worse than some of the stuff I saw at the World Cup in 2006, and I notice people saying it was the minority, I don't think it was it was possibly even 50/50. 

c**ts the lot of them, ruin it for the rest of us and I don't think we deserve to host a World Cup now.

What a shitshow of a day out. 😞

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Obviously not condoning people storming Wembley and forcing their way in without a ticket, but the high-vis wearing official who slams someone down a few seconds into this and just starts punching him should lose his job.

If I'm not mistaken that looks like a police officer doing that not a steward.

2 hours ago, lemons said:

Presale  has started for Women's Euros next year. England opener at Old Trafford, final at Wembley . If you aren't otherwise interested in women's football could be a good chance to see those grounds at least 

Do you have a presale link?

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Ok, I've left this a couple of days as I stayed in London on Sunday night and then travelled back, and slept most of yesterday.

I got on a train from Oxford that was going directly to Wembley at around 12 noon on Sunday...when I got to Oxford station there were a lot of other people going to Wembley, but from listening to conversations there were not many with tickets, most of them were going to 'soak up the atmosphere' One group from Thame I spoke to there must have been about 15 of them they were booked in a pub back in Thame for the match but were just going down to Wembley to get 'fucking smashed' first.

As we got through the journey the train got more and more busy, and from High Wycombe onwards it was completly packed....idiots jumping about on the train shouting 'its coming home' every two seconds, drinking heavily, not wearing masks, opening snorting coke off keys/credit cards and general c**ty behaviour.

I was with two other friends and we were due to meet another two at our hotel entrance.....they met us about 1.30pm and had crossed over Wembley Way and showed us videos of it being like a warzone....bottles flying about, throwing beer, people urinating openly on the street, rubbish everywhere etc.

At that point we decided to stay at our hotel and had some food with some drink and watched the end of the tennis, I eventually went out onto by Wembley Way/Wembley Library at 6pm and by this point it was complete carnage...I'm sure you've seen most of the footage.  However by this point it was now a lot of drunk/coked up idiots rolling around on the floor, or being aggressive, and having seen all that we decided to go into the ground about 6.50pm.....we got to the COVID check where it was complete mayhem trying to get through the barriers with ticketless peoople trying to breach and poor stewards being made to feel indimitated by mindless idiots.

A lot of us were split apart in the ground, me and one other mate were entrance N, we were going past other entrances and it was all bottlenecked, people fighting, security and police streched to the point of not knowing what to do. 

As we got to our entrance it was about 7pm my mate said lets step back and see if it calms down....we went to the back of the outside concourse and looked over to see more people trying to get over barriers without tickets, others being dragged out who had no tickets and a big crowd trying to force open a disabled entrance.

We left it a few more minutes and then decided we just had to go for it and went to go in....no stewards on the gates, no stewards the other side, and no body check once in.... The reason why soon became apparent, because they were too busy rolling around on the floor with people who had got in without tickets and were being ejected. 

We got to our seats which were near the back of the lower tier...lots of people in the gangways without tickets. Our seats were at the front of the bulkhead so people were stood in front of us as they had no tickets, we repeatedly asked them to move or duck down a little so we could see....very annoying given we'd both spent north of £500 on a ticket. 

Just before the game started the guy who was in the seat to our right arrived, seemed ok to start with but then a british asian man came past in his england shirt and the guy says 'what's he fucking doing here, he's not even english' then when the teams were read out he called Raheem Sterling 'a fucking black c**t' , my mate was that disgusted with it he left our seats at half time and went and stood elsewhere.

The game happened and well not much to stay there, I immediatly went back to our hotel for drinks....and well I tried to sleep except I didn't get much due to the amount of people banging about in the corridors, shouting about which room they were in or going to...TVs on loud in other rooms all night, at one point I looked out of my room and there were two prostitutes trying to get into another room on my floor. Think I eventually got to sleep at 4am and had to get up at 8.30am to catch my train home.

Why was there no exclusion zone within a mile or so if you didn't have a ticket?  Why can't c**ts accept that if you don't have a ticket you can't go in?  Why do these people have to jump on the bandwagon at the exact point the entire world is watching and show how shameful we are as a nation again?  What is it with our country?  

I've been all over the world watching Arsenal and England and that was worse than some of the stuff I saw at the World Cup in 2006, and I notice people saying it was the minority, I don't think it was it was possibly even 50/50. 

c**ts the lot of them, ruin it for the rest of us and I don't think we deserve to host a World Cup now.

What a shitshow of a day out. 😞

Sounds like we had remarkably similar experiences. I also took in Leicester Square and Covent Garden that was just total chaos it was like London had fallen to mob rule.

Such a depressing end to an otherwise brilliant couple of weeks and a positive covid test on my return to top it off!