Efestivals Euro football thread

Ryan1984

23 minutes ago, Superscally said:

@Hugh Jass you been to many big games before? How did the atmosphere compare? Lots of chat about it being amazing, but came across and has come across all tournament as fairly muted to me over the tellybox. Is this a bit of over excitement at there actually being any noise again, or is it just bad telly audio representation?

Before this tournament? Not many, I’m a West Brom fan so these opportunities don’t tend to come along too often for me.

Went to Scotland, Germany, Denmark and then last night. The atmosphere in the ground has been good, Germany was something else though. That’s probably the one thing I’ll remember longest from the whole tournament.

Gutted to lose in the way we did - shouldn't take away from what a great tournament we had though. I felt Southgate played into the Italians hands though - we sat off them pretty much all game and penalties are a lottery at the best of times. Not blaming the players at all, takes guts to step up and take a penalty, but the 2 players coming on knowing that their entire game was based on scoring a penalty brings immense pressure in itself - his reluctance to change things up and make subs at the right time caught up with him today. 

To anyone that was there, what was the atmosphere like? It sounded toxic in some parts - whereas the ground was united and vibrant in previous matches, it seemed like we'd lost any home advantage we had due to the sheer number of knob heads and hangers on that were there? Sadly the average football fan is for the most part not going to be able to justify spending 1k+ on one match. Have obviously seen some of the pictures and videos circulating from before the game and it was shocking and really sad to see, and I hope anyone responsible for anything before or after the game is caught and dealt with.

You won’t get a better chance to win one than that. It was essentially a home game and you were 1 up inside a couple mins. 

Lot of the blame goes to Southgate, the pens of course but he’s too conservative. Should have smelled blood in the opening mins when he saw how much joy the wing backs were getting. Instead he let them slowly get more and more back into it and it seemed inevitable Italy would equalise.

I assume he’s done enough to get a new  contract after that? I’m just not sure he can take England a step further tbh.

I wasn't expecting much from this tourmanent, and was only half watching during the group stages, but overall has been excellent I thought. Italy probably best team and deserved it, England did very well and should be up there amongst the favourtites in the world cup next year, penalties are a shit way to lose.

Edited by steviewevie

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

You won’t get a better chance to win one than that. It was essentially a home game and you were 1 up inside a couple mins. 

Lot of the blame goes to Southgate, the pens of course but he’s too conservative. Should have smelled blood in the opening mins when he saw how much joy the wing backs were getting. Instead he let them slowly get more and more back into it and it seemed inevitable Italy would equalise.

I assume he’s done enough to get a new  contract after that? I’m just not sure he can take England a step further tbh.

I agree with you. Yes he's taken England to a semi and a final in the last 2 tournaments, but if everyone's being honest, the routes in those tournaments could have been a lot harder and then I think we'd have been having a different conversation. I like and respect him for the way that he's brought everyone together and created a club mentality amongst the players but for me he lacks that tactical edge that you need at the highest level. He is so reluctant to use subs (despite us probably having the strongest bench in the tournament) - Italy's backline are slow but we didn't use any pace to get in behind them. I maintain Sancho would have been lethal last night, but he brings him on with 1 minute to go solely to take a penalty (which is ridiculous pressure in itself).

We spent the second half sitting back and not remotely looking like we were going to score. Best route would have been a set piece so get Grealish on and give him the chance to win free kicks in dangerous areas - but again he holds off until during extra time. Far too conservative for me - we have the most exciting squad of players we've had in a generation but they were for the most part stifled.

Playing for penalties when we were always likely to lose on penalties was a strange one!
They really were there for the taking - especially the second half of extra time. Throwing Sancho and Rashford on for the last 15 mins against a tiring defence really could have had its rewards. But Southgate said it himself .. ‘Marcus and Jadon have been by far the best in the lead-in. It was a gamble (to bring them on), but if we gamble earlier we maybe lose the game in extra time.' Not a fan of that mentality at all - those two are potential match winners if given an opportunity. You can’t have a manager worried about bringing those type of attacking players on in case they might lose you the game. 

3 minutes ago, st dan said:

Playing for penalties when we were always likely to lose on penalties was a strange one!
They really were there for the taking - especially the second half of extra time. Throwing Sancho and Rashford on for the last 15 mins against a tiring defence really could have had its rewards. But Southgate said it himself .. ‘Marcus and Jadon have been by far the best in the lead-in. It was a gamble (to bring them on), but if we gamble earlier we maybe lose the game in extra time.' Not a fan of that mentality at all - those two are potential match winners if given an opportunity. You can’t have a manager worried about bringing those type of attacking players on in case they might lose you the game. 

absolutely - you play to win a final, you don't play to not lose it.

Wondering if anyone who was at the game saw any of the scenes of violence in the concourses/fans trying to jump the turnstiles?

It looked pretty mental from the videos I've seen, but not sure if Twitter is a fair reflection of what was actually going on.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

What do you mean ?

He’s taken England further than any manager since Alf Ramsey, and they’re playing better than they have for years. Yes, maybe you can question one or two of his choices yesterday, but presumably the players that missed those penalties had put themselves forward to be in that position.

it was Southgate's pragmatism and short-termism (i'll quantify that, he looked no further than the next match and tailored his lineups accordingly, he didnt just bung out the 'best XI' and wait for supposed English superiority) that got England to the semi three years ago, and the final yesterday. A more expansive manager would quite probably have seen them exiting the tournament earlier. I think he's about the perfect tournament manager for England and i cant really see any possible replacement for him to 'take it to the next step' - there is no next step, challenging for international trophies is the top step. 

Actually winning one is dependant on shitloads of different factors that five years ago fell in the lap of Portugal, then France in 2018, and the way of Italy last night. You have to lose one to win one, and the more time you spend in semis and finals, the more likely you are to actually triumph at some point. I dont think Southgate should be binned off at all.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Not the result we wanted but can't complain the better team won. What an amazing experience for me and little Padgey, memories we'll have for a lifetime.

DSC_5147.JPG

that's what its about - hope you both had a great time. 

Gutted

first 20 minutes we had them sussed and should have capitilsed on that, we always needed a 2 goal cushion. Still I am no pro footballer so no idea  what goes through the head when you score early

Sadly we reacted to slowly to Mancinis tackle change in the second half. If we had been swifter it may have been different, you could see as soon as they did they had us and only a matter of time. Maybe something learned.

Still in a final and 1-1 against the best side in the tournament  is not bad. 

I have certainly enjoyed the ride and that is all you can ask for really.

6 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Wondering if anyone who was at the game saw any of the scenes of violence in the concourses/fans trying to jump the turnstiles?

It looked pretty mental from the videos I've seen, but not sure if Twitter is a fair reflection of what was actually going on.

That’s fucking disgraceful.

In all honesty I saw absolutely no trouble at all last night. Atmosphere was good, fans (the ones I saw anyway) were well behaved, everyone seemed to be having a good time.

Honestly thought Denmark was far worse.

10 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

This is horrific 

Not condoning the idiotic violence in any way, and trying to get my head around what’s going on - are these videos showing fans attacking those who had just stormed their way into the ground without tickets?

Edited by st dan

Just now, st dan said:

Not condoning the idiotic violence in any way - but are these videos showing fans attacking those who had just stormed their way into the ground without tickets?

yep, pretty much - ticketed vs ticketless