Efestivals Euro football thread

Ryan1984

5 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Shaw scored a great goal. Maguire scored a penalty. Sanchez isn't even a Manchester United player yet and Rashford missed when he hadn't even touched the ball yet! So, yeah fuck Man Utd - fucking prick!

That Shaw goal will go down as one of my favourite football moments, sorry I just feel like shit.

4 minutes ago, priest17 said:

That Shaw goal will go down as one of my favourite football moments, sorry I just feel like shit.

No worries. Sorry for calling you a prick. Have an upvote. 🙂

Apparently I'm out of upvotes, but it's the thought that counts!

Edited by Punksnotdead

1 minute ago, Punksnotdead said:

No worries. Sorry for calling you a prick. Have an upvote. 🙂

Tough night for all of us, no apology necessary, I'm in the wrong. I was in O'Shea's beer garden tonight and one of the best bits was mixing with fans of other clubs and joining together. Was saying to a united fan how you and us have (basically) won it all in the last 2 decades and how much fun it was coming together and both experiencing something new.

Since then we got knocked out on pennas, I lost my mates, fucked my phone up and ended up sat on my sofa waiting for work to start. Been a while but I'm back to bitter!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

More sad about the abuse aimed at Saka, Rashford and Sancho than the actual game. Depressing.

I genuinely can’t understand the thought process there. Shows why it’s vital so important these players carry on raising awareness of discrimination.

Well that wasn’t the result we wanted but I’m not actually too down today. Been a great tournament, we (England) have had a great tournament and were only a shootout away from winning the whole thing.

Shaw, Pickford, Sterling, Stones, Maguire all had great tournaments and we look like a side capable of challenging for the big prizes again.

On to Qatar!

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

More sad about the abuse aimed at Saka, Rashford and Sancho than the actual game. Depressing.

Yeah this is grim after the positivity of the last few weeks. My heart broke for Saka - imagine the pressure of doing that at his age. Gutted for all three of them.

Italy are a great team but winning on penalties always feels shit.

Enjoyed the tournament more than I ever have before though and I think they did themselves proud.

@Hugh Jass you been to many big games before? How did the atmosphere compare? Lots of chat about it being amazing, but came across and has come across all tournament as fairly muted to me over the tellybox. Is this a bit of over excitement at there actually being any noise again, or is it just bad telly audio representation?

20 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah this is grim after the positivity of the last few weeks. My heart broke for Saka - imagine the pressure of doing that at his age. Gutted for all three of them.

Italy are a great team but winning on penalties always feels shit.

Enjoyed the tournament more than I ever have before though and I think they did themselves proud.

Losing on penalties hurts because it was ultimately a knife edge. It’s like everything else doesn’t matter. God.

I’m going to be down in the dumps today. So happy for England getting to the final but penalties are just the worst.

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Losing on penalties hurts because it was ultimately a knife edge. It’s like everything else doesn’t matter. God.

I’m going to be down in the dumps today. So happy for England getting to the final but penalties are just the worst.

Yeah agreed. I think it's a shit way to win and a shit way to lose. Would have much preferred Italy to win in normal time if it was going to go that way!

41 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Well that wasn’t the result we wanted but I’m not actually too down today. Been a great tournament, we (England) have had a great tournament and were only a shootout away from winning the whole thing.

Shaw, Pickford, Sterling, Stones, Maguire all had great tournaments and we look like a side capable of challenging for the big prizes again.

On to Qatar!

Yes, I fee the same, the boys did well. I still don't think we are quite world beaters yet, but we are getting closer and closer. Although it did go to the lottery of penalties, Italy I think were slightly the better team. I think the only mistake Southgate made was not using the subs a bit more, he could have put Rashford and Sancho on a lot sooner and give us more threat upfront. Just brining them on to take a penalty was putting too much pressure on them I think

Always think it’s more gutting losing a penalty shootout if you’ve been the better team in the 120 minutes - and last night, England clearly weren’t. If anything we did well to take it to penalties. 

Still, a great tournament for England and as a whole. Heads up, learn from this and push on. If we make a few tweaks and are a little more adventurous with lineups and style of play going into Qatar 2022, then there is absolutely no reason why we can’t go one better next time.