Efestivals Euro football thread

Ryan1984

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean...it's kind of a funny front page, is it not?  I know you are very much against Scottish independence and SNP etc., but I'm sure most Scots want England to lose. And Welsh. And Irish.

Oh, just saw your reply, too busy to answer you, I’m currently watching the 1966 world cup final in colour on channel 4!😉

Am watching C4 WCF too. I remember watching it with my dad on the tv when I was 6yrs old and afterwards running out into the street in London with all the neighbours children singing “ we won the cup, we won the cup, eeiadio, we won the cup” 😀🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

It’s pretty embarrassing for many Scots like me that such things go on up here.  That ‘newspaper’ is a mouthpiece for the snp that's ignored sex scandals and financial improprieties in their party. It's run by the party for the party. Please don’t think we are all like that. I detest when sturgeon or blackford stand up in Parliament and say on behalf of the people of Scotland, they don’t speak for me and a majority of Scots. To be honest such headlines just prove how immature and insecure nationalists are. Best of luck to England tomorrow night, it will be tough but win or lose they can hold their heads high having done the whole country proud. 

I completely agree that The National is a rag and an SNP mouthpiece but you do get that the cover is a joke. It's a silly image laughing at the Scots' Anyone But England attitude as much as anything else. It is was sporting rivalry should be, poking a bit of fun at each other. I know that for followers of the two big Glasgow teams that's a hard concept to get your head around but for normal people sporting rivalry isn't about life and death.

Credit to this England side they've deserved to get where they are and they are a much more likeable group of players than many in the past, I still hope they lose tomorrow. If they do I'll text my English mates and try and wind them up a bit, if England win those mates will do the same to me. All perfectly normal friendly behaviour and not that petty at all.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Brownie30 said:

After 5 weeks of trying for any England tickets at all, I also incredibly got through today for 4 of the "Fans First" tickets tomorrow!! The Ticket Day memories were strong... 

Wow, enjoy!

What time did they go on sale? I’ve been keeping an eye out and only saw the Cat. 1 tickets today!

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Football in 1966 looked shit. 

For all the rose-tinteds about the good old days, the standard of football was fucking APPALLING back then. I watched about 10 minutes of the 66 final once (bear in mind this is the pinnacle of football back then).

It was one of the funniest things I've ever watched. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Wow, enjoy!

What time did they go on sale? I’ve been keeping an eye out and only saw the Cat. 1 tickets today!

1pm sharp! The UEFA ticket portal makes See Tickets look like a walk in the park mind, so I am counting my lucky stars!!

10 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

For all the rose-tinteds about the good old days, the standard of football was fucking APPALLING back then. I watched about 10 minutes of the 66 final once (bear in mind this is the pinnacle of football back then).

It was one of the funniest things I've ever watched. 

Yes, the football isn’t what we are used to now at the highest levels but that applies to most things. Everything develops and improves. I watched it in 66 on a shity rented black and white valve telly, our car was a crappy Morris minor etc etc.  Now I’ve. 46 inch lcd telly and a decent car! Football has taken great strides in terms of tactics, fitness,  substitutes pitch standards. Everything is relative. 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes, the football isn’t what we are used to now at the highest levels but that applies to most things. Everything develops and improves. I watched it in 66 on a shity rented black and white valve telly, our car was a crappy Morris minor etc etc.  Now I’ve. 46 inch lcd telly and a decent car! Football has taken great strides in terms of tactics, fitness,  substitutes pitch standards. Everything is relative. 

Absolutely. I'm not having a go at it (realise it sounds a bit like I am, apologies), more just marvelling at how far we've come.