Efestivals Euro football thread

Ryan1984

16 minutes ago, mcshed said:

So you think you'll win because you don't think you'll win?

Nope, I think there is a good chance we might win because we’re not necessarily expected to, by either fans, pundits or the press (much like Chelsea in the Champions League final). Playing with that weight off our shoulders could make a real difference. 
But yes - also what you said! 

Edited by st dan
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone think Southgate will change the starting lineup at all? For instance, starting with Foden instead of Saka? we seemed to keep the ball a whole lot better when Foden came on and I wonder if Saka would be best unleashed on 60 minutes to open his legs against a tiring Italian back four? He's obviously not shy in shaping the team around the opposition.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Does anyone think Southgate will change the starting lineup at all? For instance, starting with Foden instead of Saka? we seemed to keep the ball a whole lot better when Foden came on and I wonder if Saka would be best unleashed on 60 minutes to open his legs against a tiring Italian back four? He's obviously not shy in shaping the team around the opposition.

I think we’ll go with the XI from the Germany game. The Italian back line is older and not massively quick. Pace and trickery from Sterling and one of Saka/Sancho would be my bet.

9 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Two great points.

I'd like to see us get the first goal (well, I'd actually like to see us get the first four goals), I think that would change the dynamic of the game. If Italy were to take a 1-0 lead in the second half, we'd be in for a very frustrating remainder of the game.

I know it's such an obvious cliche, but in a game like this, the first goal really IS crucial. Could be spectacularly wrong, but I really don't see it being a goalfest.

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Grealish still best used as a sub? 

Got to be pushing for a starting spot now...the Saka off Grealish on at 70mins is quite predictable now!

Remember you saying 68 minutes was the time… looked at the clock when he came on on Wednesday and you were spot on.

Grealish doesn’t start for me, have the ball away a lot against Denmark. He’s a bench option, not a starter IMO.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Remember you saying 68 minutes was the time… looked at the clock when he came on on Wednesday and you were spot on.

Grealish doesn’t start for me, have the ball away a lot against Denmark. He’s a bench option, not a starter IMO.

Grealish has come on or off in and around that time in about four games I think! (Didn't play at all v Croatia or Ukraine)

Saka is good...watched him a lot when he came through and I may have his match worn shirt from when he scored his second goal for Arsenal...wonder what that's worth now 😉

Grealish is a good impact sub but does add that bit of extra creativity.....you're probably right, start with Saka and then if nothing happening bring Grealish on.

My starting 11

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire Shaw

Rice Phillips

Saka Mount Sterling

Kane

Edited by gooner1990

I'd personally start Foden over Mount, Mount hasn't impressed me too much this tournament and Foden has a turn of pace to trouble the Italian back line.

Disclaimer: I should be ignored, every starting XI I've wanted different, yet we've got to the final. I know nothing. 

25 minutes ago, Gacheezbo said:

I'd personally start Foden over Mount, Mount hasn't impressed me too much this tournament and Foden has a turn of pace to trouble the Italian back line.

Disclaimer: I should be ignored, every starting XI I've wanted different, yet we've got to the final. I know nothing. 

I don't really tend to notice Mount either. I think he may be one of those industrious players whose hard work tends to bypass the average fan (though weirdly those kind of players are usually holders, not #10s).

12 minutes ago, Homer said:

I don't really tend to notice Mount either. I think he may be one of those industrious players whose hard work tends to bypass the average fan (though weirdly those kind of players are usually holders, not #10s).

Yeah I really rate Mount, but most of his best work this tournament has been defensive rather than attacking.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah I really rate Mount, but most of his best work this tournament has been defensive rather than attacking.

He’s been the first line of defence. 

Stick him on Jorginho all game. 

Big debate with the Wembley DJ about how he has managed to popularise Sweet Caroline on the news and how he decided to stick it on.

I'm not being funny but this tune has been big at the cricket for years. I think partly because Bumble sang it at finals day once.

Surprised at the lack of praise for Mount, this tournament I've finally been convinced by him. Always looks really composed on the ball, really intelligent and hard working off the ball, and contributes all over the pitch. Think he was exactly what we missed in 2018.

13 minutes ago, Dan R said:

Surprised at the lack of praise for Mount, this tournament I've finally been convinced by him. Always looks really composed on the ball, really intelligent and hard working off the ball, and contributes all over the pitch. Think he was exactly what we missed in 2018.

An upgrade on Alli/Lingard even if he doesn’t have quite as much flair as either.