Efestivals Euro football thread

Ryan1984

7 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Two pods I listen to seemed split on whether this was charming or shithousery on his part (I need to watch it again as I was in a bit of a state by this point).

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

Two pods I listen to seemed split on whether this was charming or shithousery on his part (I need to watch it again as I was in a bit of a state by this point).

That's the joy of the Italians, absolute shithousery with a big charming grin. Immobile dives and pops back up with a cheeky wee grin, when Kane and Sterling dive they act like petulant teens. Italy will use every trick in the book but when you ask them about it they say they will use every trick in the book.

5 minutes ago, mcshed said:

That's the joy of the Italians, absolute shithousery with a big charming grin. Immobile dives and pops back up with a cheeky wee grin, when Kane and Sterling dive they act like petulant teens. Italy will use every trick in the book but when you ask them about it they say they will use every trick in the book.

Ha, good point - the dichotomy of it all. I'll watch the highlights back later.

Yes, whereas when Scottish players dive they so it with so much more style, panache and dignity.

DAVID-MARSHALL-2ND-GOAL-X-768x840.jpg

• Upvote 2

So the big question.....

Same formation or revert to 3-4-3? 

There are benefits to both.

Emerson is a poor defender so playing James or Trippier on the right would be too much for him to handle. 

Issue with 3-4-3 is that Mount is likely to drop out and he’s the best to disrupt Jorginho, which could be key. 

Tough choice for Southgate to make. 

Just now, Padgey said:

Has the capacity been raised to 90,000?  I heard there were rumours.

From what I've heard its staying at 65,000.

I follow a few well informed Twitter accounts, seems like the Italian FA is taking their full allocation and selling to italian nationals living in the UK and bringing in 1,000 from Italy who will be in a COVID secure bubble (airport > ground > airport)

England are selling their last tickets today and if there is anything leftover from all the various sales (England Italy and UEFA general) then they will go on sale today. (who knows, there might not be any to sell!)

12 minutes ago, Homer said:

Ha, good point - the dichotomy of it all. I'll watch the highlights back later.

Yes, whereas when Scottish players dive they so it with so much more style, panache and dignity.

DAVID-MARSHALL-2ND-GOAL-X-768x840.jpg

Bless David Marshall for trying to keep up with these modern trends like sweeper keepers at his age.

6 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

From what I've heard its staying at 65,000.

I follow a few well informed Twitter accounts, seems like the Italian FA is taking their full allocation and selling to italian nationals living in the UK and bringing in 1,000 from Italy who will be in a COVID secure bubble (airport > ground > airport)

England are selling their last tickets today and if there is anything leftover from all the various sales (England Italy and UEFA general) then they will go on sale today. (who knows, there might not be any to sell!)

Sounds like Glasto secret ticket sale day, only difference is this will only last a couple of days!

My daughters school have just emailed to say they’ll allow children to come in late if they need a lie in after the football 🙂

Now wondering if I should keep her up to watch it, she’s totally uninterested in football now but could be a very special memory for her in future… 

7 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Bless David Marshall for trying to keep up with these modern trends like sweeper keepers at his age.

TBF, I think he was trying to evolve the role - he was more of a central midfield keeper. Ahead of his time.

This is starting to become torture....was in the office yesterday so got quite a lot done, but I'm WFH today...phone going off every five minutes either with whatsapp pictures of something to do with the final, people talking about the final, me and my brother constantly texting about getting him a ticket for the final, me making plans with my friends (we have tickets for the final) and anything else inbetween.

Still two days to go!

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’m oddly chilled about our chances for Sunday. Have been a bag of nerves in the build up to each match so far but completely calm at the moment, just excited to be there.

Almost feel like just getting there was the hard work and what will be will be on Sunday.

TBH I didn't expect us to get this far so I'm not expecting us to win....if we lose, then we go again for Qatar in 18 months time.

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’m oddly chilled about our chances for Sunday. Have been a bag of nerves in the build up to each match so far but completely calm at the moment, just excited to be there.

Almost feel like just getting there was the hard work and what will be will be on Sunday.

Same here. I genuinely am just happy to see us in a final. Feels like a major stumbling block to overcome for the next few tournaments.

Had two bets before the tournament started - Tenner on Italy to win the tournament at 9/1 and a tenner on Kane for golden boot at 6/1.

Financially the best outcome for me would be 3-2 Italy with Kane scoring twice.

(Now that I’ve said that out loud I have to stick a quid on it. Otherwise it’ll happen and people will say “should have bet on it”)

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Very much this. Admit kept expecting us to be knocked out all the way through

Italians clear favourites for me but we are in a fucking final. Can't wait

Most often finals are dull affairs , but even if this one is then I will not notice 

Edited by fred quimby

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

TBH I didn't expect us to get this far so I'm not expecting us to win....if we lose, then we go again for Qatar in 18 months time.

Can we win? Absolutely. Will we win? The natural pessimist (and long-suffering England follower) in me thinks that the opposition might just have a tiny bit more experience. Not just in the centre half pairing but that coaching staff is full of former players with a raft of top level experience. But we're not underdogs, by any stretch.

The biggest threat is arguably the sense of occasion and the burden of the hopes of a nation. About 10 of 15 minutes into Wednesday's game, it did appear to have some effect on one or two of our players and that translated onto the terraces, I imagine the tension was unbearable at times, even when in all fairness, we were pretty comfortable for 95% of the match. That said, much like most of our games in this tournament, we seemed to grow stronger and more confident from the sixty minute mark. 

Deal with the sense of occasion, the inevitable gamesmanship, believe in themselves for the whole match, with the crowd fully behind them all the way, get a little luck and maybe they'll be dancing Nobby's dance? Strap yourselves in...

Either way, whatever happens, we have a genuine platform for Qatar and beyond.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1